Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pressure in Lidil/Aldi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Liddly-lyddly-whateverde**** is how I refer to it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I wish I knew where people were getting these deals because every time Im in aldi or lidl they are around the same price as Tesco or Dunnes.

Might depend on what you buy.
    Lidl's and Aldis fruit and veg come in a lot cheaper, even before Aldi's offers on 5 fruit and veg at €0.49 each.
    Same with their cupboard staples - sugar, flour, lentils, beans, chickpeas, etc.
    Their frozen vegetables are cheaper than Tesco's own brand.
    Eggs come in around the same price, I believe. Well, the free range ones anyway.
    Their cheese range is seriously cheaper than anywhere else, some cheeses like Feta are about half the price they are in Tesco, others even lower.
    When it comes to cosmetics and cleaning products, their prices would be about the same as Tesco's own brand, but I find them much better quality than that.

Yes, I have been doing an extensive research not too long ago, as our income shrank drastically, so I had to look for savings. I haven't done a full shop in Tesco since (only for items Lidl and Aldi don't stock, such as yeast) and haven't set foot in either Dunnes or SuperValu since.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Sorry to dig this up, but with some clever bag placement (placing 3 huge Lidl bags open inside the trolley side by side) and a 2 person team (me and the missus) we actually managed to beat the cashier and had to WAIT for her to scan some things.... it was all I could do to not tut loudly and throw my eyes up to heaven as if she was delaying me.
    WIN!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Cormac... wrote: »
    Sorry to dig this up, but with some clever bag placement (placing 3 huge Lidl bags open inside the trolley side by side) and a 2 person team (me and the missus) we actually managed to beat the cashier and had to WAIT for her to scan some things.... it was all I could do to not tut loudly and throw my eyes up to heaven as if she was delaying me.
    WIN!
    She's been fired now! The manager was watching on the cctv and acted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I don't think I was ever pressurised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭WILL NEVER LOG OFF

branie2 wrote: »
    I don't think I was ever pressurised.
    that's even worse

in that case, you might be one of those checkout malingerers.

instead of quickly gathering your groceries into your arms and scurrying away to the packing shelf, i bet you slowly pack, item by item, in descending order of weight, as the whole queue silently fumes at you:p

• Registered Users Posts: 38,754 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

About ten years ago, I had the misfortune to encounter a loon cashier at one of the discounters.
    The person next to me in the queue commented on the checkout arrangements and I agreed with her, remarking on the unwelcome multiple handling. The cashier overheard something else and reacted as if I'd insulted her first-born, grandmother, and religion and called the manager.
    WTF?
    The manager was a bloody fool and took her word for it that I'd said something non-existent, so the upshot was I walked off, leaving a loaded trolley. As I did so, he said something to my back, and I honestly didn't quite catch it. When I turned back and asked him to repeat it, he cacked himself. Nasty little worm.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

that's even worse

in that case, you might be one of those checkout malingerers.

instead of quickly gathering your groceries into your arms and scurrying away to the packing shelf, i bet you slowly pack, item by item, in descending order of weight, as the whole queue silently fumes at you:p

Or one of those Aldidl newbies who tries to pay with credit card and has no cash (one of them now takes a CC, iirc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

There's a drop dead gorgeous blond working at the checkout in the Lidl on the Ennis Road Limerick.

She has this really friendly attitude and the most amazing smile.

I know that has nothing to do with the thread and I don't care :D

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    About ten years ago, I had the misfortune to encounter a loon cashier at one of the discounters.
    The person next to me in the queue commented on the checkout arrangements and I agreed with her, remarking on the unwelcome multiple handling. The cashier overheard something else and reacted as if I'd insulted her first-born, grandmother, and religion and called the manager.
    WTF?
    The manager was a bloody fool and took her word for it that I'd said something non-existent, so the upshot was I walked off, leaving a loaded trolley. As I did so, he said something to my back, and I honestly didn't quite catch it. When I turned back and asked him to repeat it, he cacked himself. Nasty little worm.

Wait, what? What's a "loon cashier"? I'm struggling to make sense of this story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

There's a drop dead gorgeous blond working at the checkout in the Lidl on the Ennis Road Limerick.

has this really friendly attitude and the most amazing smile.

Yeah that's Dennis. I think he's the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Or one of those Aldidl newbies who tries to pay with credit card and has no cash (one of them now takes a CC, iirc).

I use my credit card all the time in aldi and lidl

Wait, what? What's a "loon cashier"? I'm struggling to make sense of this story.
    A cashier who was a bit of a loon.
    The sense is in the story - I don't know what she thought I'd said, the crackpot.
    I use my credit card all the time in aldi and lidl

It's a relatively recent thing, unless you're actually using it as a debit card, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I prefer the LIdl / Aldi way now: get my stuff to the packing shelf quickly, then I can take my time. Pack the bag(s) the way I want them packed. Get my headphones on, choose some music for the way home, read an email or two if any have come in. Re-tie a shoelace if I think it needs it. Get my hat out if it's raining. Settle the bags, and mosey on out the door.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Just got the latest Aldi flyer, full of equestrian accessories, left me thinking that some of the punters are more likely to have a piebald than a thoroughbred outside. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Just got the latest Aldi flyer, full of equestrian accessories, left me thinking that some of the punters are more likely to have a piebald than a thoroughbred outside. :pac:

You'd be surprised, arent some of the horsie set know for their frugality and most of the the piebald botherers would be as happy with clothes line for tackle(whats a saddle, sur)

Lidl and Aldi are the Ryanair of shopping

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

As in ingenuity?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Blue and Yellow?

as in great value

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It's to enable people getting on their high horses. I'm sure we'll see lots of boardsies shoppingtthere next week :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I'm not very smart. How am I meant to get the stuff I'm buying from the register over to the shelves in the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

UCDVet wrote: »
    I'm not very smart. How am I meant to get the stuff I'm buying from the register over to the shelves in the back?

trolley

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

She has this really friendly attitude and the most amazing smile.

what time is she off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

I only stock up on chicken and tuna from those stores. I pack at the till. I beat the cashier everytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

I think the staff in Aldi and Lidl are very friendly. I am happy to pack my stuff to their system. I much prefer it to the self service in Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 25 CentimoSal

Too long to read all seven pages before me -

I really hope somebody brought up German efficiency

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

Ye should see what they're actually like here in Germany!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

See the trick is to pack your trolley the way you want to put stuff in your bags after check out. Then put your stuff on the belt with the same goal in mind (so the heavy stuff at the front of the trolley goes first on the belt and first back in the trolley, you group the stuff for the insulated bag, etc...) Then have bags open in the trolley and voila, you beat the check out person as you can just swipe stuff into the bags.

Require planning and foresight (and a certain amount of competitiveness if you're so inclined.)

Yes, I'm German. No, my family does not enjoy going shopping with me (my Irish husband thinks I'm nuts. But he married me so can't be that bad) ;p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

yeah, Ireland is slow motion towards german lidl and aldi action :)

Advertisement