Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Were in the irish times

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well done Elana... the problem is very eloquently expressed i the start of the article.

Thanks for keeping us informed, Gladiator.

What a nice article...
    A clear message to everybody involved to stop dragging their heels (unless they want to get a kick in the bum by IOFFL - and those nice people who write articles like this) - hehehe...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

This link is better 'cos it's got a lovely picture of our Elana smile.gif

Bard
    Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Class photo! smile.gif

adam

You should of seen the state of the paper when it arrived back on my desk @ work after it had been passed around to everyone in the office. It verifiably did the Rounds and everyone who read it found it very informative and I think it served to put a nice personal touch to the campaign, here-to-fore has been somewhat "Virtual".
    My boss was really interested as she used to work w/ our friend Etain and We're actually waiting on an ISDN line @ the moment. The stats given in the Times Article 2 weeks ago re: The Waiting times of installations is something we're experiencing now and she thinks the whole campaign is so worthy.

(She's of the IBEC Generation- Posssibly s'thing we should look into more-ie- getting these sort of people on board)

Well Done to ALL-
    80p.

www.80project.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 80project.com:
    The Waiting times of installations is something we're experiencing now and she thinks the whole campaign is so worthy.
    </font>

Nuts, it's all nuts with regard to the waiting times (as we well know). I had to wait over three weeks for a phone line in the city (analog) and from what I hear this was rather good (but then I did phone the area engineer every morning for a fortnight)

The silly thing with regard to the installations is that in my last job, we got an ISDN installation within 24 hours of asking for it. No we weren't lucky, they "weren't doing one next door anyway", we had someone in the company with pull. 24 hours when the waiting list was six weeks. I think Martin's theory last night re the chap who couldn't get ISDN was correct - it may have been engineers who just weren't all that inclined.

(edit)Obviously I wasn't complaining when we got the line in 24 hours, I went on holidays and left the financial controller to "just phone and order this service as I've written down for you". When I came back, nothing had been done and we needed it fast.

[This message has been edited by sceptre (edited 20-07-2001).]

no i disagree, the engineers get paid per job as well as basic, the more they do the more they earn, more likely the unions,
    cant have the engineers actually working, they might find there isnt a need for as many

Did anybody see the add for the ODTR in the times on page 4 of the HOME NEWS section.

It mentions about the Consultation Paper they sent out which can be seen at http://www.odtr.ie

If im correct this is the paper we all have to reply too with our views on it and the closing date is 5pm on Friday the 10th of August

so learn how to use a pen and start writing and send letters to

Ms. Claire Nolan,
    Office of the Director of Telecommunications Regulation,
    Abbey Court,
    Lower Abbey Street,
    Dublin 1

Also when you have the jist of using a pen again send a letter to your local TD and Newspaper.

Farls

Now that we have momentum, build up the speed.

It also give's Etain Doyle's phone number on the add....strange i thought, i'll not post it tho. dont want hooligans giving the *poor* lass a hard time!

Farls

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Acually, I retract my last comment, it's not a class photo. Elena should really be holding up an Eircom bill and crying or something... smile.gif

adam

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    Acually, I retract my last comment, it's not a class photo. Elena should really be holding up an Eircom bill and crying or something... smile.gif

adam
    </font>

The hard copy showed her holding a laptop with the IrelandOffline logo on diplay smile.gif

Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    no i disagree, the engineers get paid per job as well as basic, </font>

I don't think thats true. My understanding is, (but this may have changed),Eircom, Instead of paying engineers overtime,were giving them time off in lieu. This kind of thing is fine for short periods, but ultimately leads to problems when
    all the technicians have amassed a lot of holidays, and team leaders are trying to schedule work..
    jd

JD im right, because if they get paid 9-5 and holiday for over time (which they probably do get)

Then the eircon engineer that arrived to connect my secound line up wouldnt have coem at 8.30am on a friday to do it,
    he was definitly getting paid by the job because of the speed at which he installed it in about 20 minutes,
    now no body comes that early or works that fast unless they get commission

JD im right, because if they get paid 9-5 and holiday for over time (which they probably do get)

Then the eircon engineer that arrived to connect my secound line up wouldnt have coem at 8.30am on a friday to do it,
    he was definitly getting paid by the job because of the speed at which he installed it in about 20 minutes,
    now no body comes that early or works that fast unless they get commission
    </font>

You are saying that because he did the job quickly, he must be getting paid by the job? Is that they way you think everybody works. I am basing what I say on what a technician (team leader) told me
    jd

no im saying because he came in before 9.00 am (when a 9-5 job starts) to do a job and did it extremely quickly,
    if you have ever dealt with civil servants or ex civil servants you know they dont do anything quickly

no im saying because he came in before 9.00 am (when a 9-5 job starts) to do a job and did it extremely quickly,
    if you have ever dealt with civil servants or ex civil servants you know they dont do anything quickly
    </font>
    1) How do you know he started at 9:00 am. ( I think working hours for techs start at 8 actually)
    2) You are making a huge generalisation here- Individuals may be efficient (or not) whether they work, or have worked in, either the state on private sector. Sure there are jobsworths in Eircom. You can't just say because a particular individual comes in and does the job particularly quickly
    that there is some other agenda other than someone taking pride in their work and trying to do the best they can
    jd

[This message has been edited by jd (edited 21-07-2001).]

People work all kinds of hours. I personally work 10.30 to 7 every day while other people in my place of work are at it from 8 till 4.

The tech industry tends to do things slightly differently and have a larger range of hours that need to be covered than most 9-5 type businesses.

Im sure there are a fair few eircom engineers who genuinely do their job with pride(as in any company/sector in the world), theres no need to assume he only did it quickly because he gets more money.

well without the guy here, theres no point in arguing about it,
    theonly way i can explain eircon ever doing anything right is if theres more money in it

well without the guy here, theres no point in arguing about it,
    theonly way i can explain eircon ever doing anything right is if theres more money in it
    </font>

Mmm theres about 14,000 or people or so in Eircom-you just can't generalise the way you did, nor in fact state as fact your own speculation
    jd

o 14000, cough bull **** cough
    and how many of them ghet up to install a phone line a 8.30am

• Advertisement
Advertisement