Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

iphone app for 1yr old - yes/no?!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Quirkygirl wrote: »
    if you are not stopping her before it happens you are allowing it surely? she is a child. my point was that I keep dangerous things out of reach of my children. This is not a personal attack just my opinion. I wouldnt leave anything dangerous in reach of my kids. I think you are getting caught up in the wording here.

There are about forty years of studies into non-ionising radiation (the kind electronic devices emit) and so far there's been nothing from any of them that proves there's any kind of harm caused to humans by using them. Your child is living in a house which presumably is wired for mains electricity; which means you're already exposed to higher than normal amounts of background electromagnetic radiation. Especially if you have transformers or a sub-station nearby. And you keep the phone on you when near her, presumably, so she's still as exposed as she would be to the phone anyway.

I can grok being cautious; but when there are decade of research showing no harmful effects, you don't really have any good reason to worry about health issues; and there are beneficial effects to more interactive forms of play than passive consumption of TV programming. Granted, I happen to think that physical toys like lego and wooden blocks and blackboards and chalk are all better than iPhones and iPads for kids, but worrying about EM radiation from your phone harming your child when decades of study show it won't, is a good example of poor risk assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I really don't see why it has to be so black and white. As I've said repeatedly - MODERATION!

10 minutes of play on my HTC does not cancel out the hour he has spent outside, the whole afternoon playing with his farm animals or all of the interaction he gets from the adults in his life. People seem to think that you either ban everything - tv, apps, noisy toys - or allow them to sit like zombies in front of a tv all day, every day. My smartphone is not heroin, neither is the white buttons he gets once in a blue moon, the episode of Peppa Pig or the odd biscuit. He is exposed to all of these things, enjoys them and then carries on playing with the rest of the toys.

There is a suggestion running through some of the posts here that parents, who allow their kids to interact with technology, lack the cop-on to stimulate their kids with real games and toys. This is insulting, condescending and untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

For those who want to read more about the science behind radiation Sense about Science have a good leaflet aimed at the general public.

I actually think there have been many sensible answers in this thread. The upshot is there are things that are suitable for our children to watch and there things that aren't - these range from television programs to internet sites to iPhone apps. As parents it is our job to supervise and regulate what our children look at. This extends to 'old media' also, at the weekend I was visiting my cousins and the 9 year old boy showed me the book he was reading, the use of language was poor and the grammer appalling.

Advertisement