Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M50 thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

betistuc wrote: »
    .....and Sligo,Leitrim,Mayo,Cavan,Monaghan,Kerry, have I forgotten any?

Sligo has the N4 (basically Motorway - fair enough not by name) upto Collooney

Mayo/Monaghan/Cavan has a stretch of road with numerous bypasses. Even Kerry has CastleIsland bypassed with Tralee on the way

Leitrim, yes fair enough.

Anyway im stretching a point, but i think the poster meant in his irish way of saying that the roads are vastly improved in recent years, be they top of the range Motorways or 2-bit bypasses e.g. Longford N5

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Most of the above could replace the proposed Outer Ring Road through South Dublin and Fingal - the ORR in its present form is likely to add to problems by its very nature - its accessibility to development.
    The outer ring road is being built even now, it is complete from Tallaght- Lucan and they are working on the N2 - N3 section at present. Once the N3 - N4 ( generally Lucan - Clonsilla) section is tackled there will be a new road from Tallaght to Wards Cross near Ashbourne outside the M50 and much of it 10 years old or less.

The problem is that one lane is frequently a bus lane so its traffic capacity is constrained and yes it does 'open up' new development land thereby generating local traffic and toll dodging. It is not an M50 subsitute really.

Construction will restart in Dublin by the end of the decade unlike in more rural parts, especially out west where the Adamstown and Hansfield SDZ zones will kick off again. The plans haven't gone away you know. :)
    A toll motorway instead would be the bypass that the M50 was originally supposed to be. One problem however is that a section of the ORR in Fingal is already under construction (the N2 - N3 Link). In any case, I would imagine that electronic tolling would be used on such a motorway.

An M9/M7 northward extension to Clane , Kilcock/Maynooth then Dunshaughlin - Ashbourne - Balbriggan would be my preference. There was a more outerly 'outer' plan not unconnected with moving Dublin Port to a location north of Balbriggan but I feel that would be too far out.

Meanwhile for _long distance_ traffic the best thing to do is to make the N51/N52 and N80 into proper 2 lane roads instead of the goat tracks they frequently are now.

There is a good road from c. north of Mullingar to south of Tullamore but much of the rest of those roads is either crap or diabolic with only Kells bypassed properly.

There are plans to bypass Ardee, Portlaoise and myriad villages. The N80 Carlow bypass was too far in and turned into a developent frenzy at every roundabout...and needs redoing.

If the demand is still there afterwards by all means consider a new Dublin and Pale Toll Motorway Beltway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Maybe this is a crazy idea but might be useful for travelling the whole way from North to South without touching Dublin.
    M52?

flazio wrote: »
    travelling the whole way from North to South without touching Dublin.
    M52?

Too far out for Motorway. Proper S2 with sections of 2+2 for overtaking/and NO roundabouts ....and the N52 would be tickety boos. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Eastern bypass would be a useful thing, however I have my doubts if it will ever be built - it'll cost a fortune.

Upgrading the (now declassified) N11 up to Donnybrook then running a tunnel from there north would be an alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

At first glance, the reports sole purpose appears to be to justify extending the tolling of the motorway to its entire length rather than at only one point, a lot of that "extra" traffic would evaporate if drivers had to pay! The NRA have to balance fund raising tolling against extra congestion on adjacent routes.

Reads like the NRA refloating the LOR concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭betistuc

Sligo has the N4 (basically Motorway - fair enough not by name) upto Collooney

Mayo/Monaghan/Cavan has a stretch of road with numerous bypasses. Even Kerry has CastleIsland bypassed with Tralee on the way

Anyway im stretching a point, but i think the poster meant in his irish way of saying that the roads are vastly improved in recent years, be they top of the range Motorways or 2-bit bypasses e.g. Longford N5

So he has clearly never been to Donegal where we have fairly decent by passes of Bundoran, Ballyshannon and Donegal Town. There is also a reasonable stretch of 2+2 from Letterkenny to Manorcunningham. I'll leave it at that.

Just didn't like the way he singled out Donegal as his sole example

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dromod-Roosky dual carriageway....

Barring a Carrick bypass, the entire N4 through Leitrim has been upgraded since the 1990s and will be bored-out to DC eventually under the NRAs plans.

Talking about Donegal bypasses is about as far away from the M50 as we can get! :rolleyes:

I don't think the M50 needs widening or managing for the next 10 years. Given the choice I'd say manage.

Theold M50 was congested but not particularly lethal. Much of the road network is congested and lethal BOTH. Consequently the best thing to do is focus on bypassing Dublin by improving lethal and congested roads like the N80 N51 and N52 which should be the Leinster orbital plan for the next 20 years.

Then they can focus on the N54/N55/N62 which is the next Dublin orbital out again. Having one feasible orbital is not enough for Dublin, we need others.

Improving all of these roads will have a significant effect on accident rates as well as on the M50 as long distance traffic finds itself with non motorway alternatives.

CURRENTLY a huge number of movements are forced onto the M50 from a long distance out.

eg if I drove Dundalk - Galway at night or in winter I would take the M50 because the N52 is frankly utter shíte. ( It has improved but not enough).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

This diversion onto the M50 is a once off thing. Future growth will come from general economic and traffic growth. Even the old M50 was only congested for 2 or 3 hours a day. One obvious step is to increase tolls at peak periods and reduce them at off peak periods. Another is express buses, for instance from Tallaght to Sandyford, as some trips take a small fraction of time driving that they would on public transport.

Once the traffic management system is fully in place, the affects of congestion should be greatly reduced as if operated properly. Traffic approaching the congested area will be held up by reduced speed limits, this will reduce the bunching that currently occurs at certain times by spreading the traffic along more of the motorway.

It does NOT need extra tolls (unless you're looking into the greater economic situation).

ardmacha wrote: »
    This diversion onto the M50 is a once off thing. Future growth will come from general economic and traffic growth. Even the old M50 was only congested for 2 or 3 hours a day. One obvious step is to increase tolls at peak periods and reduce them at off peak periods. Another is express buses, for instance from Tallaght to Sandyford, as some trips take a small fraction of time driving that they would on public transport.

I'd scrap the toll altogether. The M50 should be free, and take as much traffic off the surrounding network as possible. If it starts to jam at peak hours at that stage, then so be it. Then in 50 years we can think of another upgrade!

I'd scrap the toll altogether. The M50 should be free, and take as much traffic off the surrounding network as possible. If it starts to jam at peak hours at that stage, then so be it. Then in 50 years we can think of another upgrade!
    50 years time, it'll probably have tram lines on it, trucks buses & cycle lanes and few cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

And I'd be of the other opinion completely. I think it should be tolled the full way round - to maximum of the current toll by the way. So it should be €3 (or lower if you've reigstered or have a tag) to go from the M1 to the N11 and a proportion depending on where you get on and get off.

At the moment I use the M50 once a week from the M1 to the N4 and back again. It irritates me no end that I have to pay the same toll as somebody who uses the full motorway or worse that I pay a toll when somebody else can get on at the N4 and go the whole way southbound without paying anything.

And yes I know it's my choice to use the M50 as opposed to an alternate route but it still is unfair that because you use one particular point on the motorway you get charged.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The only section of the M50 (DPT excepted) that was built as PPP and had to be acquired by the state at great cost was the Westlink. Its unjustifiable to toll the rest of it.

Should people get irritated that you can go from Athlone to Kinnegad on the M6 without paying a toll?

MYOB wrote: »
    Should people get irritated that you can go from Athlone to Kinnegad on the M6 without paying a toll?
    No, because I get off at Kinnegad and get back on at Kilcock when I go from Athlone to Dublin, then as I go so early in the morning I dodge the M50 toll by going through the city (it is only ten minutes longer @6AM;)).

Tolling more of the M50 will cause extra congestion elsewhere, just look at the N4 around Enfield congested by M4 toll dodgers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Jayuu wrote: »
    And I'd be of the other opinion completely. I think it should be tolled the full way round - to maximum of the current toll by the way. So it should be €3 (or lower if you've reigstered or have a tag) to go from the M1 to the N11 and a proportion depending on where you get on and get off.
    At the moment I use the M50 once a week from the M1 to the N4 and back again. It irritates me no end that I have to pay the same toll as somebody who uses the full motorway or worse that I pay a toll when somebody else can get on at the N4 and go the whole way southbound without paying anything. And yes I know it's my choice to use the M50 as opposed to an alternate route but it still is unfair that because you use one particular point on the motorway you get charged.
    Your paying for the bridge. Learn the alt routes if you don't want to pay. During non peak hours I sometimes go via clonee

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Jayuu wrote: »

At the moment I use the M50 once a week from the M1 to the N4 and back again. It irritates me no end that I have to pay the same toll as somebody who uses the full motorway or worse that I pay a toll when somebody else can get on at the N4 and go the whole way southbound without paying anything.

And yes I know it's my choice to use the M50 as opposed to an alternate route but it still is unfair that because you use one particular point on the motorway you get charged.

I'm very happy with the current system. I use the M50 daily from the N32 to the N3 and back again ... for free.

Thanks for your 4 euro/week contribution to keeping my commute toll-free ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Your paying for the bridge. Learn the alt routes if you don't want to pay. During non peak hours I sometimes go via clonee

Lucan is completely congested for long periods during the day because it's used as a rat run by people avoiding the toll bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Heroditas wrote: »

Lucan is completely congested for long periods during the day because it's used as a rat run by people avoiding the toll bridge.

...and would I be right in guessing that many of those are actually losing more money burning fuel sitting in traffic than they would be paying the toll. Then there are the circuitous inferior roads they'd be using with many an engine rev.

In short 'Cent wise, Euro foolish!'

Anyone any idea why, when the M50 was upgraded, J11 (Tallaght) and J12 (Firhouse) didn't get better upgrades? Tallaght I would have thought would get something more freeflow to get rid of the roundabout. The lights at J12 are absolutely woeful and getting onto the M50 is a pain here.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Folks,

Some pictures taken around M50 J13/J14 interchange in Sandyford. Will be interesting to see how they squeeze a junction for the Eastern bypass in here (if it ever gets built!).

See here for location map.

1. The first few shots are taken from the R117 Sandyford Road overbridge. Looking east, exit 14 diverges to the left on the M50 southbound.
    8159043143_7d66ed79cd_b.jpg
    Untitled by csd75, on Flickr

2. Swinging the camera around to the west, this is the view of the M50 northbound. The Green Route (R113) runs outside the M50 mainline here, and forms part of exit 13's slip roads.
    8159043639_44dd729915_b.jpg

3. The next few shots are taken from the roundabout in the middle of the map. This is taken from the SE corner of the roundabout, looking down at the N31 -> M50 northbound sliproad (exit 14).
    8159076580_57d8e741f1_b.jpg

4. The view northeast from the same spot, looking over the M50 mainline and the J13 southbound sliproad.
    8159077136_55c83e535f_b.jpg

5. M50 mainline looking east (southbound).
    8159045527_467eac18d9_b.jpg

6. M50 J13 southbound sliproad (upper), J14 southbound offramp (towards the N31) (lower), and M50 mainline (right).
    8159078586_c924781398_b.jpg

7. M50 mainline looking west (northbound) from the NE corner of the roundabout.
    8159079370_34c469aaec_b.jpg

8. Looking west (northbound) from the SE corner of the roundabout.
    8159079950_b2e9136e7c_b.jpg

9. N31 -> M50 northbound slip merging with the M50 mainline. The view turned 180 degrees from photo 3.
    8159080390_b1bc322cc3_b.jpg

10. Now some shots taken from the western arm of the roundabout. M50 mainline looking east (southbound), exit 14 SB diverge to the right.
    8159048511_4877119971_b.jpg

11. Looking west, exit 14 NB slip merges to the left.
    8159049081_ab62933f24_b.jpg

12. The next two shots are taken from the R113 overbridge at the N31 end of the junction (the eastern side). Looking west at the diverge for J13 NB, with the bridge for J14's N31 -> M50 northbound flyover in the foreground.
    8159049651_62d3ec3315_b.jpg

13. Looking east (southbound) from the same bridge, the M50 mainline has dropped to two lanes each way from J14 to J17 (the terminus).
    8159245742_72cd0808e6_b.jpg
    IMG_5626 by csd75, on Flickr

14. A panorama of the roundabout at J13.
    8159092179_3f0d12f5ba_b.jpg
    M50 J13 panorama by csd75, on Flickr

Hope you enjoy!

/csd

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I see the 50kmh limit on the slip from M50E->M1N has been removed, (signs removed, but poles still there) but still a 50 limit on M50E->M50S (port Tunnel)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chinchin

I could be wrong but I think they have rearranged the lanes on the M1S -> M50S/N32 last night. I went through this morning and was getting ready to merge into the left lane to swing around onto the M50 and only then noticed that the second lane that used to run up to the N32 roundabout now also continues around onto the M50. The change didn't register in time for me to see how the lane gain for the N32 is arranged now.

There's been two lanes on to the m50 since day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭m0nsterie

chinchin wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I think they have rearranged the lanes on the M1S -> M50S/N32 last night. I went through this morning and was getting ready to merge into the left lane to swing around onto the M50 and only then noticed that the second lane that used to run up to the N32 roundabout now also continues around onto the M50. The change didn't register in time for me to see how the lane gain for the N32 is arranged now.

Yeah I noticed this just this morning - makes good sense I think. The airport on-merge followed immediately by the M50 lane off-merge was always messy.
    MYOB wrote: »
    There's been two lanes on to the m50 since day 1.

I think you misunderstood. Until yesterday, there was one lane on the M1 southbound which split into two just before the freeflow onto the M50. Now, the inside lane on the M1 just continues straight ahead to be one of the freeflow lanes, the other being the original one coming down from the airport, so no split.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Just noticed the change in markings last night, make it's much easier for the airport slip to merge.

Hopefully they'll sort out the M50 to M1 north lanes now, there always appear to be a scramble into just the one lane on the left before the split before the roundabout.

• Advertisement

.. and the N7 to M50 N and S movements could do with a re-jig. All traffic for M50 N and S coming eastbound along the N7 has to be in one lane whereas two lanes go into the city.

Advertisement