Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

When I can afford it I am going to see a psych privately. I was not happy with the guy I saw in the mater place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Hersheys wrote: »
    When I can afford it I am going to see a psych privately. I was not happy with the guy I saw in the mater place.

What was wrong with the guy you saw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

He didn't listen. He spoke in a very condescending tone and when I told him I was actively suicidal (I had a plan, everything was in place, I was just waiting for the right time to execute it) he told me to ring the samaratins. When I told him that I'd taken an overdose (intentionally) with a feed of drink he told me that it was nothing to be concerned about. He completely disregarded some of my symptoms. He also said that there was no way that I could be suffering from clinical depression (I never said I was!!) because I made it through college, and nobody who is clinically depressed ever amounts to anything in their lives. He gave me a diagnosis of BPD (grand, the symptoms fit) but never explained what it was, prescribed me meds and sent me on my merry way.

The only good thing to come out of my appointments with him was the referral for psychotherapy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Pieta house never called me back, and I called them and they said they were backed up. My clothes are sticking to me cos of the cuts and the blood. I have a college interview on Wednesday and I know know know im gonna **** it up god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Best of luck with it Cloud

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Cloud, i hope things work out for you. Hospital for emergency psych maybe.

Hectic weekend here, physically in bits, wasn't exactly healthy going into it.. Hope to get a decent sleep tomorrow after tonight's shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Anyone use the Bateson Clinic for anxiety??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Anyone ever had a breakdown? Feel like I could be on the verge right now. Can't stop shaking, feel the urge to scream, not able to listen to anyone, muscle spasms, mind racing and just so many things making me feel like I'm going insane.

Anyone ever had a breakdown? Feel like I could be on the verge right now. Can't stop shaking, feel the urge to scream, not able to listen to anyone, muscle spasms, mind racing and just so many things making me feel like I'm going insane.

Please contact your GP tomorrow and have a good heart to heart with him.

If you cannot wait until tomorrow, why not contact the local on call doctor service , or present yourself at your nearest hospital ER.

Your mind is overloading and you need time and assistance to help you relax.

Please be kind to yourself, try and get some rest.

Can't rest, have an exam which in fecked for and I won't be able to go into second year if I don't pass it and have other stuff to do. Ill just ride it out till next week.

• Advertisement

Can't rest, have an exam which in fecked for and I won't be able to go into second year if I don't pass it and have other stuff to do. Ill just ride it out till next week.

Put your health first.

Perhaps you are overly anxious about your exam which is making you feel uptight.

Samaritans.ie and Aware .ie have trained people with whom you can have a chat if you wish

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

It would probably do you some good if you could even just take half an hour and try to slow down your mind. Maybe have a warm bath or listen to a beautiful piece of music and focus on every note. Try to break down your workload into doable sections. You might not be able to do everything on your list, but you might be able to see what's most important.

Is there anyone there you could chat to? It might just take your mind off things, and you might feel less out of control and panicky. Anyway, sending you a Mammy hug.

murria wrote: »
    It would probably do you some good if you could even just take half an hour and try to slow down your mind. Maybe have a warm bath or listen to a beautiful piece of music and focus on every note. Try to break down your workload into doable sections. You might not be able to do everything on your list, but you might be able to see what's most important.

Is there anyone there you could chat to? It might just take your mind off things, and you might feel less out of control and panicky. Anyway, sending you a Mammy hug.

I find that talking makes me feel worse tbh and I find it impossible to stop my mind from racing. I'm sure I'll be grand anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭tosspot15

I really cant work up the courage to visit my GP without feeling like a complete idiot.

I find that talking makes me feel worse tbh and I find it impossible to stop my mind from racing. I'm sure I'll be grand anyway.

Hmm, trying to figure how that smiley face snuck into my post, sneaky thing! You know, you probably will be grand, but one other suggestion that often works, look at Faster EFT vids on YouTube. My family and the young people I work with find it very helpful. Try to believe that everything will turn out ok, because it will (just not always in the way you think it will).

tosspot15 wrote: »
    I really cant work up the courage to visit my GP without feeling like a complete idiot.

Totally understand that. Going to the GP for anything serious requires courage, from a lump in the boob/balls, sore bum to anxiety/depression. The good thing is GPs have heard it all before. Its what they chose to do for a living. They won't laugh at or judge you, its what they are there for. Pick up the phone tomorrow and make an appointment, it can only do you good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Awake already - ARGH!. Physical pain from over-exertion over weekend's work plus underlying pain condition kept me from sleeping, one more shift tonight, hopefully it's not as much of a struggle as last night, not able.. It totals up to a very thick mental fog.

Awake already - ARGH!. Physical pain from over-exertion over weekend's work plus underlying pain condition kept me from sleeping, one more shift tonight, hopefully it's not as much of a struggle as last night, not able.. It totals up to a very thick mental fog.

Try a little light exercise, a walk, cycle or swim. This may help you relax more and help you get your 7/8 hours beauty sleep.
    Meanwhile be kind to yourself.

I can barely walk at the moment and have a twelve hour shift on way so can't be at that, there won't be a problem catching up on sleep once time permits and pain levels off.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Not good today at all though mainly self inflicted. Since being diagnosed with GAD I have cut down my alcohol intake to where on a night out I would have 5 bottles (3.5pints) and not very often either.

Anyway, Sunday was my bday and I had purposely said that I was not going out until then. As it was the bank holiday here this weekend and there were nights out on Fri, Sat and Sun.

I had been having a rough week thoughts wise (the ones you wake up with and you wish it was over), but these pass and I'm ok with that.

However, at Notting Hill carnival we started drinking and so it began. From 1.15pm to 1am! I feel utterly disgusted at myself :mad: for not being more sensible and over-doing the drinking after being disciplined the other days.

I didn't make a fool out of myself but I'm still going through the bad hangover - 2 days later. My anxiety is bad, thoughts are bad, pains all over, stomach needs to puke and paranoid. Just want to roll up in a ball and cry. Keep thinking there is something else wrong with me and that alcohol can't do this. Had to go to the chemist to buy a load of things to TRY and help.

On a plus I have tickets to the Arsenal CL match tonight but just don't want to go (this is weird as I'm a big fan!) but have to. Whats really disgusting me is the embarrassment of drinking that much. I have been training really hard the last 2 months and the body has never looked better and p***ed off that I may have ruined it and delayed my goals.

The last thing is that I'm really annoyed at is my cousin. He told me at the weekend (after me asking) what was the families views in London about when I was in hospital. He said that he thought I was just acting up... I explained to him about what it was like (voices in head, thinking your going crazy) and he did come around, but its hurtful when a close relative thinks you're faking! He said that he has had a panic attack before on hoidays and they not that difficult to overcome.

Sorry for the rant, just need to talk. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

It's understandable that your cousin doesn't understand - I've suffered from anxiety all my life (and most of my family either have anxiety or depression) and yet I'm not sure I understand it all myself or can explain it. To someone one the 'outside', it must be hard to empathise with.

And (if you don't mind me saying) don't be so hard on yourself either. Part of the problem with therapy can be that we try to fix our lives (i.e. our behaviour) rather than fixing how we look at our lives. Drinking probably doesn't help anyone with anxiety/depression, but having the occasional heavy night out isn't the end of the world. If you're beating yourself up over it, then IMO the main problem still remains: you're still being far too self-critical and self-judgemental. Personally, the point I started making progress with my therapy was when I realised I wasn't doing worse than other people, I was just kicking myself endlessly for every little blip when others would just laugh it off when they did the same.

I would still recommend limiting the heavy nights of drinking, as the hangover/the shakes/the fear can trigger all the anxieties.. ("My stomach feels iffy, I must be feeling anxious about something"). But don't get too worked up about one day/night. IMO you're making progress when you can write off that one night, and get right back on track. "I feel a bit iffy now, but I'll be ok again in a few hours. I know it's just the temporary effects of the alcohol..".

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

I'm bored of being bored , anyone get like that?

College interview could not have gone worse.

cloud493 wrote: »
    College interview could not have gone worse.

You ok?.

You ok?.

Eh. Disappointed.

Eh. Disappointed.

Cloud,

Not the end of the world! Health is wealth!

Are there options for college?

Chillllllllllll.............!

Best Regards,

Del

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Eh. Disappointed.

Did you get a final word back on whether you got the place?

Well they accepted me, I'm on the course. They must be mental or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Well they accepted me, I'm on the course. They must be mental or something.

Well done Cloud! It mustn't have gone as bad as you thought :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

who_me wrote: »
    It's understandable that your cousin doesn't understand - I've suffered from anxiety all my life (and most of my family either have anxiety or depression) and yet I'm not sure I understand it all myself or can explain it. To someone one the 'outside', it must be hard to empathise with.

And (if you don't mind me saying) don't be so hard on yourself either. Part of the problem with therapy can be that we try to fix our lives (i.e. our behaviour) rather than fixing how we look at our lives. Drinking probably doesn't help anyone with anxiety/depression, but having the occasional heavy night out isn't the end of the world. If you're beating yourself up over it, then IMO the main problem still remains: you're still being far too self-critical and self-judgemental. Personally, the point I started making progress with my therapy was when I realised I wasn't doing worse than other people, I was just kicking myself endlessly for every little blip when others would just laugh it off when they did the same.

I would still recommend limiting the heavy nights of drinking, as the hangover/the shakes/the fear can trigger all the anxieties.. ("My stomach feels iffy, I must be feeling anxious about something"). But don't get too worked up about one day/night. IMO you're making progress when you can write off that one night, and get right back on track. "I feel a bit iffy now, but I'll be ok again in a few hours. I know it's just the temporary effects of the alcohol..".

Hi Who,

Thanks for that. The paranoia has left and have accepted the general workings of the odd write-off of a nite. Felling a lot better now and had a good time at the match.

Arsenal won too :D!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement