Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hawke Sidewinder- Which model?

• 01-10-2015 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Any opinions on the Hawke Sidewinder series of scopes? I'm specifically looking at these two

The 4.5-16x42mm
    and the 3-12x50mm

Whichever model will be going on top of a
    .17hmr

Any feedback appreciated

*I can't add urls as I'm only new to the board

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

I have the 3-12 sidewinder on a .22 and it's pretty good. The higher magnification 16x would be my choice for a hmr though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I have/had a half a dozen of the last few years. Ranging from the Varmint SF (rimfire) model to the Sidewinder 30 centrefire models.

They are a good scope overall. Quality is good, nice selection of features and a great back up/returns service. The bonus of these scopes is the price. normally when you spend sub €400 you're looking at something that won't hold zero or is so plagued with problems that you end up changing. However over the year Hawke have gone from an Air rifle scope to a tried and tested, any caliber, scope.

I've used mine on every caliber from a .22 rimfire, .17 hmr, all the way up through .243, 6.5x55 and have two sitting on two .308 rifles. In that time i've only had one problem with one scope and Hawke sent a replacement, new, scope immediately.

I'm actually in the market for a new scope and the Hawke Frontier is catching my eye. It's a big change, in Hawke terms, from their normal line. With a more slimline body, better illumination settings, better crosshair, apparently better glass, and more importantly (for hunters) the centre dot ONLY, lights up not the entire crosshair which i found to be a pain in the ass when lamping.

The only draw back with the current line of scopes is the glass. Do not expect S&B or Zeiss clarity. It's simply not going to be there. However for the price you'd hardly expect it. Also if the scope is only for 300 yard shooting then the quality of the Hawke glass will not cause a bother.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭German pointer

if you want Hawke fair enough but have you looked at the Falcon scopes I got a Falcon M18 last week and was out with it yesterday and head shot bunnies at over 200 yards and also a shotgun shell at the same distance serious scope for around the price of a Sidewinder and its also FFP

By the way I was using a 22lr

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Rifter

Cheers Cass for the info, German Pointer I hadn't looked at Falcon Scopes tbh where did you buy yours??

Rifter wrote:
    Cheers Cass for the info, German Pointer I hadn't looked at Falcon Scopes tbh where did you buy yours??

Direct from Falcon Optics same price as anyone else and no problem shipping it here

• Advertisement

The Falcon 4-14x44 is a full £100 stg cheaper than the Hawke models I was looking at, now while I'm a fan of a good bargain, are they comparable to the Hawke scopes in terms of glass and image clarity etc?

I just got the M18 model which is 4-18X44 in FFP which means no matter what magnification it's set at, your reticle markings are the same. it has better glass than the 4-14 Menace models and having looked through sidewinders and the Falcon although not side by side I think the Falcon is better glass wise. if you are around Limerick or Galway I can give you a look through the Falcon

I just got the M18 model which is 4-18X44 in FFP which means no matter what magnification it's set at, your reticle markings are the same. it has better glass than the 4-14 Menace models and having looked through sidewinders and the Falcon although not side by side I think the Falcon is better glass wise. if you are around Limerick or Galway I can give you a look through the Falcon

Had a look at the M18s online, it's coming in around the same price as the Hawke, still cheaper though!! GP I'm now torn!! Other side of the country but cheers for the offer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 jmcp

what sort of 22 head shots bunnies at 200 yds

jmcp wrote:
    what sort of 22 head shots bunnies at 200 yds

A Ruger 10/22 Tactical

• Advertisement
Advertisement