Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing Students

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Cheers for the heads up on the tralee gardai, was gonna call into them tomorrow. Hope the feckers in Kilorglin are open for business :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Out of interest, how do you check your attendance? was looking at the link in IE in the college and it was asking for name, password and db. wtf is the db? did they give ye a tutorial on it or something?

We were never told how to check it, I only thought lecturers were allowed to. Catherine Woods checks it in class but she has never mentioned whether we can check it ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

ah right, I just thought when the link was on all the browsers everyone could check it.

JFlah, if you have the bike question done is there any chance you could post up the driver method? I can get the basic of it to work like displaying name etc, but trying to out the total value of the 2 bikes etc has me completley lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

siblers wrote: »
    JFlah, if you have the bike question done is there any chance you could post up the driver method? I can get the basic of it to work like displaying name etc, but trying to out the total value of the 2 bikes etc has me completley lost.
    I,ll pop it up this evening ..

import javax.swing.*;
    public class BicycleDriver
    {
    public static void main(String args[])
    {
    String ownerName;
    double bicycleValue;
    String bicycleType;
    ownerName = JOptionPane.showInputDialog("Please enter your name: ");
    bicycleValue = Double.parseDouble(JOptionPane.showInputDialog("Please enter the value of the bicycle: "));
    bicycleType = JOptionPane.showInputDialog("Please enter the make of the bicycle: ");
    Bicycle bikeOne = new Bicycle(ownerName,bicycleValue,bicycleType);
    bikeOne.setOwnerName(ownerName);
    bikeOne.setBicycleValue(bicycleValue);
    bikeOne.setBicycleType(bicycleType);
    Bicycle bikeTwo = new Bicycle();
    bicycleValue = Double.parseDouble(JOptionPane.showInputDialog("Please enter the value of the bicycle: "));
    bicycleType = JOptionPane.showInputDialog("Please enter the make of the bicycle: ");
    bikeTwo.setOwnerName(ownerName);
    bikeTwo.setBicycleValue(bicycleValue);
    bikeTwo.setBicycleType(bicycleType);
    double increasedPrice = bikeOne.getBicycleValue()+10;
    double totalValue = increasedPrice + bikeTwo.getBicycleValue();
    JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null,bikeOne.toString()+"\nIncreased Price: "+increasedPrice+"Eur\n\n"+
    bikeTwo.toString()+"\n\nTotal Value of Bicycles: "+totalValue+"Eur");
    }
    }

It works , probably not the most efficient way I,m going to tackle it from a different angle tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

JFlah wrote: »
    import javax.swing.*;
    {
    {
    String ownerName;
    double bicycleValue;
    String bicycleType;
    JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null,bikeOne.toString()+"\nIncreased Price: "+increasedPrice+"Eur\n\n"+
    }
    }

It works , probably not the most efficient way I,m going to tackle it from a different angle tonight.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that really. If you wanted to you could pass the increased value within the method and there would be no need for the extra variable increasedPrice.

bikeOne.setBicycleValue(bicycleValue+10);

This can be passed in the output as bikeOne.getBicycleValue() then for the incremented value. No difference anyway I say as we all approach the questions differently.

This was a far easier question than the continents one previous. How did ye get on with that one?

AntiRip wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing wrong with that really. If you wanted to you could pass the increased value within the method and there would be no need for the extra variable increasedPrice.

This can be passed in the output as bikeOne.getBicycleValue() then for the incremented value. No difference anyway I say as we all approach the questions differently.

This was a far easier question than the continents one previous. How did ye get on with that one?

Passing the value within the method was the change I was going to make this evening. The animal one is a humdinger .,,,, have it so close now I feel just have to tweak some bits but am progressing I feel.

Was totally stumped, I'm struggling with the mutator method, like in the bike one where you want to increase the price of the first bike to 10, I didn't really know how to code it, if I can figure those bits out I wont be doing too bad.

Also, did Catherine Woods get back to ye about the SAD? E-mailed her Wednesday with the system requirments and got nothing back yet, kinda annoying as I can't go any further till she gets back to me.

• Advertisement

Was totally stumped, I'm struggling with the mutator method, like in the bike one where you want to increase the price of the first bike to 10, I didn't really know how to code it, if I can figure those bits out I wont be doing too bad.

Also, did Catherine Woods get back to ye about the SAD? E-mailed her Wednesday with the system requirments and got nothing back yet, kinda annoying as I can't go any further till she gets back to me.

Just received a reply from her so probably will get to everyone soon

Feeling a bit better now, yeah me too and no reply. Was starting to wonder.

import javax.swing.*;
    {
    {
    String ownerName;
    double bicycleValue;
    String bicycleType;
    }
    }

Thanks for that, starting to make a bit of sense.

Woo hoo ... week off to catch up on things!

Woo hoo ... week off to catch up on things!

Yeah, apart from SAD we don't really have assigments to worry about. I've no idea how far ahead to go with SAD though.

Yeah, apart from SAD we don't really have assigments to worry about. I've no idea how far ahead to go with SAD though.

Go as far as you can with your DFDs and study Network Fundamentals! ;-)

Will try to get most of the DFD's done and will probably have to rewrite the system requirements a bit so everything works together ... have to try and go over the SAD lecture stuff too .... yawn.

Go as far as you can with your DFDs and study Network Fundamentals! ;-)

Do you know how far into the lectures notes we are to go? Dont remember us doing any stuff beyond slide 20 of lecture 5.

Do you know how far into the lectures notes we are to go? Dont remember us doing any stuff beyond slide 20 of lecture 5.
    For which module??

For which module??

I suppose that would help alright, its for Network Fundementals

• Advertisement

I suppose that would help alright, its for Network Fundementals
    Luckily I am exempt from that module :) but from memory you,ll need to know upto what type of ip address a given address is and what addresses are restricted(network address,pvt address,loopback testing address) the CA in NF is handy all multiple choice questions.

Luckily I am exempt from that module :) but from memory you,ll need to know upto what type of ip address a given address is and what addresses are restricted(network address,pvt address,loopback testing address) the CA in NF is handy all multiple choice questions.

Sounds about right. Sound.

Do you mean slide 20 of lecture 4? Don't remember doing lecture 5 at all. I say just look over question 1 of the past papers.

For SAD are we supposed to have the class diagrams done? Don't remember doing them in class.

For SAD are we supposed to have the class diagrams done? Don't remember doing them in class.

I don,t personally think so but I know some people attempted and sent them. I don,t really know what to do so I left it

Don't think so either although it does say on the deadline sheet but we have missed a couple of classes last week.

I'm still fiddling away with the system requirements, adding in stuff and editing stuff in the comments. I haven't sent on my DFDs yet either :eek:

Nice one thanks.
    I've my DFDs done but im not entirely sure about my system requirments, feels like if you change one thing you end up changing a load of other stuff.

Nice one thanks.
    I've my DFDs done but im not entirely sure about my system requirments, feels like if you change one thing you end up changing a load of other stuff.

Yeah it's a bit of a vicious circle. She suggested a change to my system that basically would mean re-doing 50-60% of it ...... It's scary to think that for some of us we have to get these systems coded and running after Christmas.

People must be very busy!! tis fierce quiet here lately

• Advertisement

People must be very busy!! tis fierce quiet here lately

Think you know the answer to that ;-) its like being in an asylum at the moment!

Advertisement