Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Finished up The Darkness that Comes Before, R Scott Barker (another boards recommendation) good read, after a slow start.

Started The Islanders by Christopher Priest, which is very very different for a SF award winning book.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Traitor's Blade by Sebastien Castell. Got an electronic arc of it from the publishers. Their pushing it as a 'if you're a fan of Abercrombie get this' but it nothing like abercrombie. No playing around with fantasy tropes at all, so far, and it's light on gore. It's reminds me more of Mark Lawerence with the bitter first person narrative but the protagonist is a bit more bland and is missing the bleak point of view of Jorg. Has one or two nice turn of phrase but the writing is a bit workmanlike at times.
    Still I'm around 30%, so there must be something in it.
    Author is a fencer and has done some fight choreography and the actions scenes show this and that is useful as there are a few.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mistborn is brilliant :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Nody wrote: »
    About 50 pages into The Human Division (5th book in Old man's war); it's a set of 12 short stories loosly connected (or so it's claimed, I'm still on the first one) set after book 3/4.
    Finished it on Saturday; unless you're really a big fan of the universe I'd say to wait. The reason being it was published as 12 short stories online that's now in one book so there normal highs and lows are not there and the stories are a bit samey. Second to that normally each book finished on it's own with out needing another book (there were usually a thread for the next book but the main "story" was over); not so in this one I'm afraid :(

The book as well follows one of the original gang from book 1 so there's no real connection to the previous books beyond the recruitment ship discussions basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Finally finished Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell and completed my re-read of The Way of Kings in preparation for Words of Radiance being released this week (I'm so jealous of people who already have it!)

Going to start the Painted Man by Peter V Brett while i wait. I've heard good things so heres hoping it lives up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Thargor wrote: »
    On the last book of Codex Alera now, not the best Ive ever read but doubt any fantasy fans will be disappointed, I fairly ploughed through all the books.

Started these at the weekend, only halfways through book 2, but really impressed so far, i've read nothing but utter dross for the past month, godling chronicles and 1 or 2 others, it was a breath of fresh air to read something decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Do people reccomend the Stormlight Archive? I always skip them on the shelves as they sound a bit generic but if they're good Ill pick them up.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Thargor wrote: »
    Do people reccomend the Stormlight Archive? I always skip them on the shelves as they sound a bit generic but if they're good Ill pick them up.
    Only one book published so far (until Friday anyway when #2 comes out). It's a bit hard to say how good the series will be.
    I enjoyed the first and there's some good world building in it that helps make the world a lot less of a cookie-cutter that so many others are. And, as ever with Sanderson, a lot of thought put into a neat magical system. Certainly seems like he's got a plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I must have been thinking of something different, Sword of Red Ice series? On a phone at work so cant be bothered checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

I must be the only person on here who couldn't get a handle on the Codex Alera at all, I made it through the first two books and gave it up as a bad job. I was very disappointed as I love the Dresden series.

Rereading "Magician" atm

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Slummin' it with a D+D book series, War of the Spider Queen. Not expecting much, but the world mechanics are like an old friend at this stage. TBH I was looking for something fantasy but a bit more out there but didn't find it in the few minutes I tried.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

3/4 through Ender's Shadow and started up on Exogene by T. C. McCarthy (second in the Subterrene War series).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Just starting Anansi boys, feels right for the bit of spring in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

About a third of the way into Blood Song after seeing it mentioned in this thread so regularly and enjoying it a lot. It's nice to read something with such tight prose after a year of WOT!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Sleepy wrote: »
    About a third of the way into Blood Song after seeing it mentioned in this thread so regularly and enjoying it a lot. It's nice to read something with such tight prose after a year of WOT!

Yeah I'm almost finished it, as I said before I'm not really sure why I like it because it's totally standard fare but it is enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Sirloin Steak with Chips, Mushrooms and fried onions is fairly standard fare too but I've rarely not enjoyed it as a meal ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I'm on The Bonehunters. Just got through Y'Ghatan.

Reading 'Shadowheart' by Tad Williams, the final book in his Shadowmarch series. Enjoying it so far - I like the mix of faerie and humans, gives it a more fantastical feel after some more gritty novels.

Also dipping into "Welcome to Promise City", a continuation of the 4400 TV series. Quality isn't high, as is common with media tie-ins, but it moves along nicely and would, so far, have worked well as an episode.
    keane2097 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm almost finished it, as I said before I'm not really sure why I like it because it's totally standard fare but it is enjoyable.
    Exactly. I couldn't pin down what it was either as there's nothing particularly original but what's there just works. It could be as sleepy said - a tasty, if familiar, meal.

Traitor's Blade is really beginning to grow on me despite it's faults, and they are many - to be expected though as it's a debut novel.
    Nice to see gun powder rearing it's head. Bit of trend in fantasy lately as well, what with Promise of Blood and Sanderson's Alloy of Law.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

fenris wrote: »
    Just starting Anansi boys, feels right for the bit of spring in the air.
    If you're out for a light hearted romp it's not bad.
    A real let down after American Gods for me though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Zurn

I started with Helen Seymour's "Beautiful noise".

Cover.jpg

Funny stuff and most is good to understand for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭lostboy75

bradyle wrote: »
    Going to start the Painted Man by Peter V Brett while i wait. I've heard good things so heres hoping it lives up!

finish this a few weeks back, its not amazing, but it kept me gripped, an interesting read. that said it had been a while since I read any Fantasy books.
    about a quarter way through the second book in the series, The Desert Spear

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

A few chapters into "The Martian" by Andy Weir and absolutely loving it so far.

keane2097 wrote: »
    A few chapters into "The Martian" by Andy Weir and absolutely loving it so far.

excellent book, who knew calculations could be so riveting

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    excellent book, who knew calculations could be so riveting
    Seconded. Hard science done with genuine humour and made accessible. Kudos to him - he even wrote his own software to work out the necessary force for his character to leave Mars based on his mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Loved the start of Redshirts but I felt that it could have been two separate books. It was far too short.

Picked up Edda by Conor Kostick in my local bookshop for €2 and thought I'd give it a go. Only to realise that it's the last book of a trilogy. Thought it might have been like Ready Player One (Ernest Cline) but it a YA like The Eyes of Minds (James Dashner). The books were ok but I preferred the first one, Epic and wished it had continued on.

Not sure what to read now. Last couple of books have been a bit disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Just finished 4th book of the Malazan series House of Chains and while I'm thoroughly enjoying the series I need a break from it...

Considering getting my mitts on Emperor of Thrones and downloaded the sample yesterday, but I reading it I realised I've forgotten a lot of the previous one in the series. From what I remember I was not blown away by the second one, but I will need to re-read it before the Emperor, which is a long winded way of asking is Emperor of Thornes a decent read???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

About a third of the way through "The Many Coloured Land" and enjoying it so far but not blown away.

Just finished the first two books in MD Lachlans 'Claw' trilogy. Really enjoyed the first but didnt enjoy the second so much as the plot was just a bit of a rinse repeat of the first. Not sure if I'm going to bother with third unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Have just downloaded book two of 'The Stormlight Archive' and really looking forward to starting that as Way of Kings was one of my fav fantasy novels of the last few years which is surprising considering I didnt really like the Mistborn books.

Have also got the sequel to Miles Cameron 'Red Knight' ready to read and the third in Daniel Abrahams 'Dagger and Coin' trilogy! So many books so little time

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Really enjoyed The Painted Man definitely planning on reading more in the series.

After doing nothing but reading yesterday I am currently half way through Words of Radians Sanderson's new book. Really good so far. Really enjoying Shallan's storeis a lot more than I did in the previous book!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Getting near the end of the 'Riyria Revelations' by Michael J. Sullivan. A good series. The first was on my phone for a few months and i started reading it again after a few other books got in my way. It reads like an RPG but is enjoyable and you get attached to the charachters like Royce and Hadrian and the minor charachters are well done also.

I would recommend it:)

Advertisement