Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I wonder if Denis Buckley played for Munster and Kilcoyne for Connacht would Buckley be in the squad. Think the ignorance of Connacht youngsters sends out the wrong message.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭jm08

danthefan wrote: »
    That's not really the point. The point is our coach would rather pick a hobbled 36 year old in rubbish form than a massively talented youngster playing 10 in one of the form teams in Europe.

And how much gametime to do think this massively talented youngster would get against South Africa?

It would be interesting to see him playing against a team with Pienaar in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

jm08 wrote: »
    He must have a great personality to be able to put a spell on so many coaches. ;)

That is actually an interesting point.

For example, Penney came to Munster with no prior relationship with ROG. He is without him for the start of the season and so plays Keatley who plays pretty well. ROG comes back and plays pretty poorly, and yet Penney still went with him for the H Cup game.

So it's not just Kidney who is persisting with him when fans are calling for him to be jettisoned. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The Saffer numbers are falling like flies due to injury, they'll be far from full strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

danthefan wrote: »
    Really disappointed Jackson isn't involved. Though what could be expected really.

Does anyone believe that because some players are on International contracts. Kidney is in some way under pressure to pick (use) them?

Maybe it's time to stop having two different types of contracts. I mean what difference does it make? All contracts are still 'central contracts' anyway and according to the IRFU annual accounts all salaries are lumped together into 'Professional Rugby'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

shuffol wrote: »
    I wonder if Denis Buckley played for Munster and Kilcoyne for Connacht would Buckley be in the squad. Think the ignorance of Connacht youngsters sends out the wrong message.

I actually think you're dead right here, so many times we hear people talk about "Munster bias" when talking about DK, but I don't even think this is it. If Kilcoyne was playing for Connacht he almost certainly wouldn't be in the squad, and there probably wouldn't be many calls for his inclusion based on just 2 H Cup games. Yet there are few people questioning the inclusion of Kilcoyne in this squad (and I'm not saying I'm one of them, I think it's no harm to have him in the squad).

It's a bit like the problem they have in England with players for the England football squad only being selected from the big clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,298 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I wonder if Denis Buckley played for Munster and Kilcoyne for Connacht would Buckley be in the squad.

Buckley maybe. Kilcoyne no chance.

I mean nothing against Luke Marshall for example who is a promising young player but it makes little sense how he is picked ahead of Dave McSharry at Connacht who is playing regularly and performing well at Heineken Cup level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Probably, but I think that would be down to Munster bias more than Connacht ignorance. I think Kilcoyne deserves it more than Buckley tbh, but only by a whisker.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 cuttothechase

I think this is hilarious, for the last couple of years we are crying about the lack of prop forwards in this country and how we are not blooding new guys in.

Kilcoyne makes his HC début this year, puts in two hard shifts against two front rows studded with internationals, up against Ducalcon against Racing and Scottish international Geoff Cross last weekend. Comes out the other side with more propping experience on his CV couple with an excellent loose game and people are complaining.

Anybody who knows anything about propping knows you only become good by propping at the highest level on a regular basis. Cian Healy got turned inside out once or twice down the south of France in his early days with Leinster and it made him a better prop, probably was the foundation for turning him into one of the best loose heads in the NH. Give young Kilcoyne his chance, that's what I say, the more young props brought onto the international system the better, regardless of what Provence they represent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Hagz wrote: »
    Probably, but I think that would be down to Munster bias more than Connacht ignorance. I think Kilcoyne deserves it more than Buckley tbh, but only by a whisker.

tbf i did read somewhere that Buckley is only 100kg, which is probably a bit light for an international loosehead. Correct me if im wrong on this by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Hagz wrote: »

Really? Kilcoyne got annihilated by Ross a few weeks ago, and there are far more destructive scrummagers than Rossy in world rugby. Buckley's scrummaging is better, but then, are we willing to sacrifice scrummaging for open field work?

I think this is hilarious, for the last couple of years we are crying about the lack of prop forwards in this country and how we are not blooding new guys in.

Kilcoyne makes his HC début this year, puts in two hard shifts against two front rows studded with internationals, up against Ducalcon against Racing and Scottish international Geoff Cross last weekend. Comes out the other side with more propping experience on his CV couple with an excellent loose game and people are complaining.

Anybody who knows anything about propping knows you only become good by propping at the highest level on a regular basis. Cian Healy got turned inside out once or twice down the south of France in his early days with Leinster and it made him a better prop, probably was the foundation for turning him into one of the best loose heads in the NH. Give young Kilcoyne his chance, that's what I say, the more young props brought onto the international system the better, regardless of what Provence they represent!

I'm not complaining about Kilcoyne being selected, but there's another young player playing at H Cup level and impressing but he's been ignored.

I don't think this is Munster bias at play as the decision was 50/50, but if Kilcoyne had been playing for Connacht and Buckley for Munster, who do you think would have been selected?

The "big" provinces are also generally watched by more people, and performances from players who play for the big 3 provinces tend to be more high profile than performances from Connacht players, even if they are both playing at the same level (H Cup). You mention who Kilcoyne was up against, but last week Buckley's opposite number was England international Joe Marler. Even though Kilcoyne is playing in a better team, Buckley is still up against a high level of opposition.

Again, I think Kilcoyne being selected was a fair decision, but there is a problem with Connacht players not necessarily being on a level playing field. 50/50 decisions tend to go against Connacht players more often than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

leftleg wrote: »
    tbf i did read somewhere that Buckley is only 100kg, which is probably a bit light for an international loosehead. Correct me if im wrong on this by the way.

Connacht website has him at 113kg

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/2012072782908/denis-buckley-201213

tolosenc wrote: »

Really? Kilcoyne got annihilated by Ross a few weeks ago, and there are far more destructive scrummagers than Rossy in world rugby. Buckley's scrummaging is better, but then, are we willing to sacrifice scrummaging for open field work?
    And that's assuming that Kilcoyne offers more in the loose than Buckley. I don't think he does.

The difference between the two is ultimately probably the extra time Kilcoyne has clocked in the Munster setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

I wouldn't say he was annihilated by Ross. I remember he gave away 2 kickable penalties in the first half, but then sorted himself out in the second half. Or at least, got more solid in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

That is actually an interesting point.

For example, Penney came to Munster with no prior relationship with ROG. He is without him for the start of the season and so plays Keatley who plays pretty well. ROG comes back and plays pretty poorly, and yet Penney still went with him for the H Cup game.

So it's not just Kidney who is persisting with him when fans are calling for him to be jettisoned. :confused:

Although I am not in favour of O'Garas inclusion, this is an excellent, well made point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 cuttothechase

Good point Tox56, I know where you're coming from and it is plain to see, don't get me wrong, everybody in this country would love to see the Connaught boys coming through, it will happen though in time, the difference in Connaught rugby in the space of just a few short years is phenomenal,the day that we will have four strong Provences to choose form is not far away!!

And that's assuming that Kilcoyne offers more in the loose than Buckley. I don't think he does.

The difference between the two is ultimately probably the extra time Kilcoyne has clocked in the Munster setup.

Do Connacht have 2 other fit looseheads like Munster do so that they can train every day? This is Connacht's chance to win a few games while other teams are depleted.

Do Connacht have 2 other fit looseheads like Munster do so that they can train every day? This is Connacht's chance to win a few games while other teams are depleted.

What has that got to do with why one should be picked over the other?:confused:

ed7890 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say he was annihilated by Ross. I remember he gave away 2 kickable penalties in the first half, but then sorted himself out in the second half. Or at least, got more solid in the second half.

Kilcoyne started off well against Ducalcon and then got anhilated later: He was also mullered by Ross so it is a weak point. I would happily take a stronger scrummaging over "good in the loose" props. They are just a liability and can be just targeted like England did to us last paddys day.

• Advertisement

Deano7788 wrote: »

you'll see; usually hes winding up to something sinister :D

Deano7788 wrote: »

If Connacht don't have two other looseheads, how can they train? They also need two looseheads (1 to start and 1 to bench in their Rabo games during the AIs).

If Connacht don't have two other looseheads, how can they train? They also need two looseheads (1 to start and 1 to bench in their Rabo games during the AIs).

They have Loughney and Wilkinson

And also it would be no different if Buckley got injured so that's not a valid excuse.

Contact have Brett Wilkinson and guys like Bealham, Reilly etc. Can Ah You play loosehead?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Kilcoyne deserves to be in the squad. Take off the tinfoil hats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

leftleg wrote: »
    Kilcoyne started off well against Ducalcon and then got anhilated later: He was also mullered by Ross so it is a weak point. I would happily take a stronger scrummaging over "good in the loose" props. They are just a liability and can be just targeted like England did to us last paddys day.

I really think annihilated or mullered is hyperbole. Like I said, i remember Ross getting two kickable penalties off him in the first half, but then Kilcoyne holding his own better in the second half. He lost the battle overall, but he hardly got destroyed.

Against Racing Kilcoyne had the edge early on, Ducalcon got the edge as the game went on. I dont know why you would say he got annihilated though.

Ah here. I think annihilated is a bit harsh. He looked good against Racing who have some serious operators and he was great against Edinburgh who have Cross and WP Nel who are no easy opponents. Didn't the Connacht scrum get a lesson against Harlequins? Of course you could lay blame at Nathan White's door but Leinster fans would raise an eyebrow to that given how strong he was for us last year.

I like Kilcoyne. I think he's an abrasive carrier akin to Healy and I think he's kept up a steady run of progression from the B&I Cup SF against Leinster. Buckley has had a season so far that deserves equal praise though. It's a tough call, but I just think Kilcoyne is the right choice. Good situation to be in when you have 3 young loos-heads who are turning heads with their loose play. Now all we need is Moore and Furlong to get involved.

Kilcoyne deserves to be in the squad. Take off the tinfoil hats.

Do you think the Connacht players are on a level playing field when it comes to Ireland selection? Not so much on this selection which Kilcoyne probably edges it, but in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Lo Cicero is a terrible scrummager and weakens the whole scrum hence the Racing scrum looking poor and Ducalcon not getting at Kilcoyne. Cross and Yapp are not great scrummagers either. It's hard to judge how good Kilcoyne actually is from his recent games but he seems to be of a similar or better ability to those names above and all that recent exposure can only be good for him. He's worthy of a call up but so is Dennis Buckley.

• Advertisement

yimrsg wrote: »
    Lo Cicero is a terrible scrummager

Overstatement. Lo Cicero is not Italy's most capped prop for his loose play. He's a good scrummager.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement