Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your best and worst customer service experiences [rant & praise]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

-garden- wrote: »
    Worst customer service - UPC transferring me to another colleague and then I am on the line for the next 2 hours and 40 minutes at which point I decide to hang up because it is unacceptable .

Were you on hold for nearly 3 hours? Or talking to the colleague for 3 hours? I would have hung up after 5 minutes if the call wasn't getting through.
    Galway Bay Medical Center -never have available appointments

They're likely very busy then. They can't make the doctors more available so you can't really call it bad customer service.
    Curries - don't really know anything about the product and always trying to sell
    you add on features that you don't need and on top of it are overpriced.

True, they do do this, but only because they have certain quotas of after care service packages and extended warranties that they have to meet. Not to mention more knowledgeable staff require expensive training and/or higher pay which increases prices and limits their competitiveness.

Our own need for lower prices drives this.
    Woodies Headford Road ,Galway not sure why they hire people without any clue
    regarding diy or gardening .

Same as Curries above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 -garden-

Yes I am serious I was on hold for more than 2.5 h and the numerous times I've called them after that ,they tell me different stories regarding my contract and the pricing that is the reason I can not continue my service with them because they are unreliable .
    Hollands and Barretts- I went in there few times and was just browsing and each time didn't know what the supplements( vitamins ) is for and they knew exactly their benefits and uses when I asked them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

-garden- wrote: »
    Best customer service

Hollands and Barretts always very helpful and knowledgeable.

And also twice as expensive as the UK. I never buy from H & B here if I can help it. The range of supplements they offer here are also limited by statute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

Email Thursday evening 21 May their depot in Ireland had the package,
    Email Friday morning 22 May with expected time of delivery 15.00 >16.00,
    later SMS with same time ,
    Call from driver at mid-day announcing same time frame

and he was at the door at 15.30.

You might say too much contact, but I didn't hang around needlessly

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Baggies

Thread Revival!
    This New Paddy Electronics, Leopardstown Shopping Centre, <SNIP>, the mrs brought a phone to ask if it could be network unlocked to Meteor.
    Yes €40
    Arrives back today, €40 and it only works on Vodafone...

Wow what a service!

AVOID!

MOD Note: Post moved from old thread and merged into best/worst service thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

Well I met Steve at The Purple Box on Crow st, I wasn't disappointed! Lovely guy, very genuine and willing to help, would definitely recommend him and his store

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Fastway couriers
    Used these three times but never actually had a parcel delivered!

Due to get flowers delivered to the mother in law today for a wedding. They said they called at the house, no note etc left. Flowers will likely now die over the weekend.

Tried to ring them at 1725, told on the line that lines are open till 1730, then cut off.

Avoid avoid avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Shout out to An post courier-service.ordered something from China,courrier arrived and there was no sign of life.i was in the shop,he rang my number,I rushed back to collected preventing me a trip out to the Galway collection depo which on foot would have a good hour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Have to also complement An Post - was not at home for the delivery- the postman called me to say he was delivering it next door! Super service!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Three Ireland are an absolute nightmare to deal with. They actually hang up the phone on you! Great value and good service overall, but I had alot of trouble with them when trying to get 4g (They ended up disabling my sim and leaving me without service for 2 days, completely unexplained). They did give me €20 credit as compensation though, so I got over it :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

I picked up a few packets of ham in Tesco looking for the best looking slices as you do! The first few I picked up were well in date but when I got home I saw the one I bought was out of date by a day and smelled iffy. I tweeted them to see if I could return it even though it was open and they got back to me pretty much straight away and with no fuss offered me a €5 money card for the inconvenience which was more than double the difference. Not only was it totally painless but I was also saved having to drive back to the shop, which is always a plus!

I'd give an post a thumbs up too as I had won some concert tickets 2 days before the concert was to go ahead. On the afternoon of day before the concert the tickets still hadn't arrived so in desperation I called the local post office who searched what they had and then rang the postman to see if he had it. He then arrived about 15 minutes later with the envelope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

Dealz on Talbot Street is great. (Apart from the fact I always ended up buying about three times what I went in for - but, could never resist..)

I had bought a christening gift for my niece, and left it behind in some shop the evening before. Ran into Dealz first in the morning when I realised and the girl at checkout - who wasn't even the person I had dealt with - had the bag up from under the counter before I even got to the desk. I had expected a race around 5 different shops and possibly having to re-purchase the gift, so it was a nice surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Elliottsmum79

1. Best experience was Amazon UK. I bought a birthday gift for my little fellow and it was delayed in transit. Realising it might not arrive for Christmas amazon re shipped another by express post, not charging me for it, to ensure I would have a gift in time for Christmas. Extraodinarily good service at no extra cost. Their call centres are no UK based and have to say, it makes a lot of difference. Had an awful semi comical experience with an amazon call centre in India previously.

2. Worst customer service was a hotel who threathned to sue me for a bad review on tripadvisor. After spending a night there only as they refused to let us leave on account of the dirty room- they wanted to charge us full price for stepping over the threshhold. Seriously. Wont name them as I'd rather not face a potential high court battle. Awful. And seems they do it all the time and I've seen lots of updated/deleted reviews on their tripadvisor page since. Let that be a warning to ye........be unidentifiable on tripadvisor......

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Elliottsmum79

Woshy wrote: »
    We had a very bad experience at Tony Kealy's in Walkinstown recently. We've spent a lot of money there over the last two years on travel systems, car seats etc so I'm extra annoyed.

We're due baby number two in May and I popped in there to order an additional seat to turn our buggy into a double. The first time we visited the guy who showed us the seat didn't seem to know much about it at all, including telling us that a newborn insert for the seat didn't exist. When I went home I had to do my own research and the newborn insert that apparently didn't exist is actually sold on their website! He said there were plenty of the seats in stock so we could come in nearer my due date to get it.

I went in two weeks ago to order the seat and was told none were in stock but I could order it in and it would take two weeks. That was fine with me so I ordered it and they asked me to pay a deposit on it, which I reluctantly did. The next day my husband got a call telling him that they actually weren't going to do an order to the company until the end of June (more than 2 months away) and even then they couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't be later in the year than that. He told my husband they were the only stockists in Ireland for the seat but we could look online and try get it from overseas if we wanted. My husband said we would be really stuck without it but the guy he spoke to didn't seem to care at all. It turns out them being the only stockist in Ireland was a lie.

I found the seat in stock in plenty of other baby supplier shops in Ireland, ordered it that evening and had it, delivered directly to me, within a day and a half. I called Tony Kealy's to cancel the order and ask for my deposit back and they told me (a heavily pregnant woman) I would have to go into their shop in Walkinstown (from Bray) to get my €15 back. I said that was absolutely unacceptable and after being on hold for a minute the manager came on and did the refund over the phone, and to their credit the money was returned to me quite quickly.

I will never buy any products from Tony Kealy's again. The service I received from the other store was miles and miles better in every way, from the customer service to the product knowledge. I now also ordered the newborn insert from the other store as I won't be spending a penny in Tony Kealy's again.

Not a fan of Tony Kealy;s either. Tralee Nursery supplies was great to us ( great price wise) and so was Bella Baby (service wise) in Dundrum. Mamas and Papas cancelled out baby room furniture order when the baby was due in a month- I had ordered it 4 months earlier to be well ahead. very upsetting when heavily pregnant and all hormonal.......

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ros89

Vodafone Customer Care by far has to be the worst I've ever experienced and I worked in phone retail for a couple of years. Generally the staff were obnoxious, rude and unhelpful. I try my best to be nice to all retail staff because I know what it's like working on the phone or behind the counter. But these guys take the biscuit, took me three months to cancel my broadband with them. Disaster! Maybe it's just a case of me getting unlucky. I'm sure there has to be a pleasant member of staff in their call centre. Yet to find them though....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Fair play to AIB, who noticed something dodgy was going on with my card when my account got emptied last night. They rang me this morning and the money has been refunded. Thank God they were on the ball and stopped the transactions before they could take more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    Fair play to AIB, who noticed something dodgy was going on with my card when my account got emptied last night. They rang me this morning and the money has been refunded. Thank God they were on the ball and stopped the transactions before they could take more

How were you breached?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

How were you breached?

Online they said

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭One More Toy

DPD - Best courier service in all of Ireland imho. Drivers are always courteous, proper estimated delivery times, simple method of texting if you wish to have it delivered another day. Top notch and a credit to themselves!

Holland & Barrets - Good and friendly, knowledgable, but expensive.

Rabobank - Easy to deal with bunch

Sky - pains me to say this, but having an Irish call center makes a world of difference

Bord Gais - Same as above, gentle cork souls most of them

Musgraves - useless, never get back to you

Dell - Enough said - language barrier

Tesco Bank - Scottish call center, friendly and helpful, always keeping an eye for dodgy transactions

AIB - scrap

Any local bookshop - always friendly, knowledagble

Three - pure tinkers for annoyance, not a word of english spoke in the whole call center, id be as well talking to an alien

Amazon - great bunch, bought an item, went down in price a week later, refunded the difference

Argos - Dear but, will exchange or refund without hassle

UPC - Not too bad, had installation next day (self service)

Carphone Warehouse - I hope you never have to deal with them, slimy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Good
    Ordered a TruSleep mattress deal from LivingSocial weekend before last. Recently moved, and realised soon after I'd ordered I'd inadvertently given my old address. Emailed both of them immediately with the voucher reference number, my details, and my new address.

Never got a reply from TruSleep, got an automated reply from LivingSocial saying they only deal with customer service issue by phone, during weekdays.

Rang them on the Monday willing to cancel the order, but when I explained the situation was told it would be no problem to change the address. Got an email confirmation later that the address had been successfully updated with TruSleep.

Got no delivery notification at any point, then out of the blue got a call Tuesday morning, 8 days later, from a delivery man asking was I home. After some confusion we established that he was at my old address.

Rang LivingSocial again and was told they'd investigate why the address hadn't been updated, work out how to get the delivery to me, and mail me with a resolution. Never heard from them again.

Only plus side was DHL - didn't think they'd deal with me as I wasn't the shipper, but on the off chance I filled out a contact form on their website after the missed delivery. They called me the next morning, by which time someone from the old address had kindly rung to tell me there was a DHL delivery docket there and given me the tracking number. Gave DHL the tracking number and new address, whole thing was sorted in five minutes, got the delivery the next day. And as a bonus the courier waited while I was stuck in traffic trying to get home.

(Checked when I did get the tracking number, it hadn't shipped until four days after I got the address change confirmation, so no chance of a crossover there).

tl;dr
    Living Social / TruSleep bad;
    DHL (surprisingly) good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

DHL are always good though. A little expensive with I find with couriers you get what you pay for (UPS / DHL v the likes of Fastway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Fonfix/Motorola-Fantastic experience

My Moto G died about 2 weeks ago after having it for almost a year. Some software malfunction that I couldnt fix myself was at fault, I'd be fairly tech savvy and spent a few hours trying to fix myself but couldn't.

With a week left on the warranty but with no original proof of purchase I emailed Motorola hoping for a fix. They replied very swiftly and asked me to send my phone to Fonfix who must be contracted to repair their phones in Ireland. I sent it off half expecting Fonfix to call me with a repair price quote but a week later I got my phone back in perfect working order with the latest version of Android and in better than ever condition. I was delighted and not a quibble or delay from either party.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Fonfix/Motorola-Fantastic experience

My Moto G died about 2 weeks ago after having it for almost a year. Some software malfunction that I couldnt fix myself was at fault, I'd be fairly tech savvy and spent a few hours trying to fix myself but couldn't.

With a week left on the warranty but with no original proof of purchase I emailed Motorola hoping for a fix. They replied very swiftly and asked me to send my phone to Fonfix who must be contracted to repair their phones in Ireland. I sent it off half expecting Fonfix to call me with a repair price quote but a week later I got my phone back in perfect working order with the latest version of Android and in better than ever condition. I was delighted and not a quibble or delay from either party.

You don't need proof of purchase as the purchase date is recorded by the IMEI or serial number. Also, Irish consumer law allows you two years to claim on your warranty, and up to 6 years in some cases. Glad you were happy with the experience though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Techmaster wrote: »
    You don't need proof of purchase as the purchase date is recorded by the IMEI or serial number.

Good to know, thanks! All in very swift and hassle free service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Microsoft - Very helpful rep I spoke to on the phone helped me after I screwed up installing Windows 10. Couldn't have asked for more, she was knowledgeable, friendly and patient throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Energia.

Congratulations to Energia . Unfortunately, they took my payment by direct debit twice this month. Though that is not great, they handled the problem very well. They sent an apology E-Mail to all those affected, are arranging a refund through the bank and are crediting our Energia accounts with 10 Euro compensation.

Though it would be great if no one ever made mistakes, it is a good sign that they can rectify them promptly and efficiently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

Just returned from doing some groceries at my local Supervalu. As the title says, not a nice experience.

It was fine as I was actually walking around the store, but when it was time to head to the checkout, it was clear that the place was seriously and irresponsibly understaffed. It's a large store, not a former Superquinn, but one that was substantially refurbished around the same time.

There was one main till open and one other guy on his own in the newsagents and pretty huge queues. Two of the fast lane tills had obviously just closed and the staff at them were holding the tills laden with cash ready to hand them in and nobody came to relieve them for as long as I watched.

I decided to queue at the newsagents since I just had a basket. About this time, a gang of about 10 kids, about 12-13 year old in general, arrived in. Most of them were just hanging out in the store - as you do. One kid legitimately entered the queue ahead of me. Then, as some of the others started picking up bits and pieces, they begin shuffling towards their friend in the queue, as if nobody would notice or say anything. Given the generalised chaos in the store, I wasn't having it. So I told one boy who had very definitely skipped the queue to stand beside his friend that his friend was ahead of me but he most definitely wasn't and would not be going to the till ahead of me. He may not have answered me back, but it was clear from his arrogant expression that respect for others hasn't been a major part of his upbringing. Needless to say, at this point, the whole gang of them moved to the back of the queue so I'm pretty sure that I was about to be skipped by more than one!

It actually is really rare for me to do something like that. I'm a teacher but believe it or not I run a mile from 'disciplining' kids in my private life. I don't live near where I work and I like keeping a low profile! I was actually surprised that nobody else in the queue backed me up once I'd done it though.

I related the whole thing to the guy at the till and got the usual non-committal grunt that passes for customer service in this country. The security guy had disappeared and the guy at the till conceded that they were understaffed and hadn't expected the shop to be so busy. Seemed like a normal suburban Sunday evening to me. I suggested that if they couldn't police their shop they might like to pay the customers to do it for them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

It's happened to me a bit, if the staff see it and ignore it I tend to walk away and dump whatever shopping I might have done for them to put back on the shelves. Management might see it on their bank of screens and do something about it as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

Shop at Aldi. Whenever a till queue gets long they automatically open a new till.

Advertisement