Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

adamski8 wrote: »
    hey again LM,

can you give me your thoughts on this one http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2570451
    it seems a little over price but with all the parts recently replaced maybe not especially the clutch with a corolla. would it be reasonable for me to go with 1000 cash and get it for that.

It will go for ever, correct.

If you got it for down around 850 you'd be fairly guaranteed of hassle free motoring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

It will go for ever, correct.

If you got it for down around 850 you'd be fairly guaranteed of hassle free motoring.
    great thats exactly what i wanted. I'd doubt he'd go that far down, wouldn't he have sunk a far few hundred with the servicing, clutch, tires etc? im going tomorrow evening to see it and want to drive away with it as this searching business is taking up way too much of my time, cheers again LM

adamski8 wrote: »
    great thats exactly what i wanted. I'd doubt he'd go that far down, wouldn't he have sunk a far few hundred with the servicing, clutch, tires etc? im going tomorrow evening to see it and want to drive away with it as this searching business is taking up way too much of my time, cheers again LM

No bother! Best of luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Bombbastic22

Hello there,

I have been trawling through used cars for maybe a year - it's become a bit of a hobby.

One thing I've noticed consistently is that private sellers ask as much and all to often way more money than what garages ask - which I think is bananas seen as how you get a warranty, a good wax and polish and maybe some nice new tyres and mats and things - from a garage. All too many private sales are completely filthy.

A lot of the time I put the details of a car into the vrt calculator as a means of getting a ball park figure of what the car would be worth and all too often the garage's price is much closer to what the vrt calculator says whereas the private seller's price is way beyond - on a similar car with similar mileage.

So - do you think the vrt calculator is a good way to guage a car's value? and if not, why not? And why the flip to private sellers try and get so much more than what a car's worth. Why can't people just ask what they'd be happy with and just stick with it. This haggling carry on is a pain in the a**....

Will you post a few examples?

Edit: This probably calls for a new thread tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Hello there,

I have been trawling through used cars for maybe a year - it's become a bit of a hobby.

One thing I've noticed consistently is that private sellers ask as much and all to often way more money than what garages ask - which I think is bananas seen as how you get a warranty, a good wax and polish and maybe some nice new tyres and mats and things - from a garage. All too many private sales are completely filthy.

A lot of the time I put the details of a car into the vrt calculator as a means of getting a ball park figure of what the car would be worth and all too often the garage's price is much closer to what the vrt calculator says whereas the private seller's price is way beyond - on a similar car with similar mileage.

So - do you think the vrt calculator is a good way to guage a car's value? and if not, why not? And why the flip to private sellers try and get so much more than what a car's worth. Why can't people just ask what they'd be happy with and just stick with it. This haggling carry on is a pain in the a**....

never knew they gave a valuation on that site, nice one, might come in handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

It's saying my car is 97% depreciated which values it at €415, which is correct. However, it also says that the current OMSP for the vehicle is €2000, which is wildly wrong.

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    never knew they gave a valuation on that site, nice one, might come in handy.

Ignore it!!! It's not worth a piss.

Tremelo wrote: »
    It's saying my car is 97% depreciated which values it at €415, which is correct. However, it also says that the current OMSP for the vehicle is €2000, which is wildly wrong.

It won't go below €2000 for some reason - I'm not sure why. Even if you put in 1990 Lada with one million miles (which may well be a miracle and perhaps give it some miracle value) it will still say €2000. You'd be better off looking at the percentage depreciation in this case.

Ignore it!!! It's not worth a piss.

You may be right but I think it's handy for a ball park figure. Obviously it doesn't take into account how many bangs and scratches a car has had, how clean it is and doesn't put as much weight as it should on the mileage of the car - however, I still think it's good to get a rough idea.

Someone I know bought an 06 Lancer recently - from a garage - priced at 7 - he got it for 6. VRT said 5. It was absolute mint though - at onl+y 30,000 miles.VRT calc put it at the same value -even with about 50000 more miles - as I remember. I still think it's a handy tool.

Will post examples of garage price vs private price later.

• Advertisement

The only way to know how much a car is making is to look at other ones for sale, that's it. There's no good "book value".

The only way to know how much a car is making is to look at other ones for sale, that's it. There's no good "book value".

Alas, what they are asking is not what they are getting. Plenty of dealerships I see have cars sitting there for months, if not longer and nothing seems to be moving.........

Alas, what they are asking is not what they are getting. Plenty of dealerships I see have cars sitting there for months, if not longer and nothing seems to be moving.........

Not Dealers, we're private so we look at what other private sellers are selling for and go from there.

Not Dealers, we're private so we look at what other private sellers are selling for and go from there.

With a lot of the private sellers asking the same or more than garages? With no warranty, no valet, no full service and absolutely zero chance of a refund if things go wrong??? I'd happily pay 500 more from a garage with all of the above. Anyway, pointless debating this.

Great thread all the same. (I'll still be checking out VRT calculator - as well as comparing what other people are selling cars for, sure tis no harm at all.)

With a lot of the private sellers asking the same or more than garages? With no warranty, no valet, no full service and absolutely zero chance of a refund if things go wrong??? I'd happily pay 500 more from a garage with all of the above. Anyway, pointless debating this.

Great thread all the same. (I'll still be checking out VRT calculator - as well as comparing what other people are selling cars for, sure tis no harm at all.)

Are you going to give a few examples?

Are you going to give a few examples?

Gosh darn this thread keeps sucking me in! Damn you Limerick Man ;-)

Well there's this, it's private: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2577038
    (Toyota Avensis, 04, 1.6 Petrol, 124000miles) 4100

vs.

This one was garage and it's already sold after only being posted Friday
    Toyota Avensis, 05, 1.6 Petrol, 73,000miles, one owner) 4950.

Alas, like most bargains - the latter is gone already - was only posted Friday. I know which one I'd go for.

If every car is cheaper in Dealers surely you could post a similar car, link for link? :)

If every car is cheaper in Dealers surely you could post a similar car, link for link? :)

Easy enough varified methinks..........anyone can check it easy enough. It's not every instance - but a whole lot of them.

• Advertisement

That Lancer is way over priced, it won't sell either way at that money!

Methinks I agree. 3500 is about right I think. People are a bit overly optimistic with their pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

€2000 is the minimum OMSP that the VRT calculator will ever use. This is to ensure that the specified minimum VRT amount is arrived at in each case e.g. the minimum amount for a vehicle which is on the 36% rate is €720.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jendavnlillie

Hi,
    Most likely the wrong place to post this...
    i am currently looking to "downgrade" to a 7 seater. Unfortunatley my lovely Audi A4 does not have the capacity for 2 kids seats and a 16 year old. So We started to look on the web for good value 7 seater diesel. Most reviews came back to the VW Sharan or Seat Alhambra (seems to be same car with different badges) and the Ford Galaxy. Dont have alot of money, as most people so we checked what we could get for our own, in around 7-8k from the dealers for same spec car. So we figured we could get a 05-06 model with handing ouver maybe 1000/1500 and no more. Alas our own has been valued at least - 4k and most 5.5k meaning that we can realistically only look at same year galaxy's (VW & Seat out of picture due to price)
    Anyway, went on Friday to take a look at a few. one in Rathcoole, 04 Galaxy with 96k for 6900, looking for 1400 with our own.
    One in Kilmainham with 115k, auto looking for 7900, and wanted 4000 withy our own.
    Today I went to see a 05 Glaaxy with 143k and he said hed give us 5000 for ours so wed have to come up with 2500... but I've seen this same car on donedeal for 6450 dated only yesterday. Have I any room for bargaining here? And has anyone any advice on selling our own car privatley or going with the rathcoole deal. My hubby seems to think its a good bargain
    Any suggestions or pointers would be welcomed. BTW I really dont want to get rid of my Audi....I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to cars. I only like German built ones having only ever driven VW or Audi. Is the Galaxy a good car???? Cheers

The Galaxy is the same engine as the Seat and the Vw :)

Any links to them?

What's your own car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jendavnlillie

I don't know a whole lot a bout engines. Mine is a '04 A4 with 125k miles. 100bhp. Timing belt, breaks done and 4 new tyres in June

Links
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Galaxy/diesel,t/201132203890205/advert?channel=CARS

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2506190

2nd link is the original ad for the Galaxy I saw today. Dealer however wants 7500 for it.

Appreciate any advice.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Lots of people either want cash or draft. If it's anything over €5,000 you should arrange a safe way to deliver the money. Always meet the seller at their house. If something does not feel right just turn around and walk away.

2 questions here, I looking at a car thats around 7k, what would you recommend is a 'safe way to deliver the money'? Going to a bank and withdrawing the cash? Transferring the money to his account if I decide to buy?
    Also, this particular car is in Donegal, which is very far from where I am, he as agreed to meet nearly half way, would you discourage this and say I should drive all the way??

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    2 questions here, I looking at a car thats around 7k, what would you recommend is a 'safe way to deliver the money'? Going to a bank and withdrawing the cash? Transferring the money to his account if I decide to buy?
    Also, this particular car is in Donegal, which is very far from where I am, he as agreed to meet nearly half way, would you discourage this and say I should drive all the way??

Yes, yes I would. I would want to see the house, inspect the logbook etc. That, or meet them during broud daylight, in a well lit car park full of cameras etc. It may sound OTT but it's nothing short of saving you the lose of 7 grand. Make sure the VIN number on the book matches the car and that the "owner" has their licence or some form of ID.

As it goes "Trust everyone, just not the devil inside them".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Hi folks. Going to consider a car with 82k miles on at Main dealer. NCT 2013.

But the Service history is strange. What think ye? The book is only stamped twice: 74k and by the dealer himself at 82k.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Hi folks. Going to consider a car with 82k miles on at Main dealer. NCT 2013.

But the Service history is strange. What think ye? The book is only stamped twice: 74k and by the dealer himself at 82k.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

What is it and what year is it? It must of been serviced at some point in between 0 and 72,000 miles. Any link?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Merc C200

I'd have thought it has to have history somewhere, so I spoke to the first garage on the service book who did it at 74k, and he said he remembered it because it was such a clean car for its age :confused: He only serviced it once (Merc Main Dealer)

I asked the garage to contact the previous owner for any history he may have and am awaiting a call back.

Advertisement