Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Festina lente

• 14-04-2010 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I've been posting here long enough, thought I might as well start one of these...

So... male, 38, running about 6 months now. My OH did the couch to 5k last summer, leading up to the Rathfarnham road race, and got me to do it too, leading up to the Jingle Bells run in Phoenix Park.

Naturally, the assumption is that if you start running (especially planning to run a marathon) at my age, it's a mid-life crisis, but I deny the charge. It's just the kids are old enough to give me a little more free time, and all this office work has had it's impact on my waist. But maybe that's what they all say.

But anyway, running suits me because it's easy enough to fit into my schedule (he says before he starts doing LSRs). No driving to the gym, no arranging times with other people, no need to talk to other people at all :)

My usual runs are home from work, which is either 4.5 or 5.4 miles depending on route, and a 3 mile loop starting at my house. I really have to get more disciplined about my pacing - usually I start off fast, slow down gradually towards the middle, and speed up again near the end. Yesterday was supposed to be my last longish run before Sunday so I stayed 9.30+ until about halfway, but then got bored so was around 8.30 the rest of the way home. (and yes, that is me running fast)
    I won't be able to do this kind of thing on LSRs.

Races so far -
    Jingle bells 5k - about 27/28 minutes (official time was 29.something, but the start and finish were very congested, no chip timing)
    Raheny 5 mile - 46.34
    MSB St Patricks Day 5k - 25.12

Upcoming -
    Great Ireland Run on Sunday, Sportsworld 5 mile in May, then the Adidas race series and the DCM

Haven't decided yet on the plan for the marathon. On the one hand, I might go for a 4.30 pace. I'm pretty sure I could do it (assuming I keep up the training and don't get injured), and it would be nice to have a pacing group to run with. For my first marathon, the safe thing would be to set a low(er) target. On the other hand, I'm still on the easy uphill of training, so a sub-4 should be a possibility. And I might end up just spliiting the difference - forget the pacing groups, and make myself a pacing band for 4.15. decisions, decisions...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Good stuff dude looking forward to reading about your progress towards the start line of the DCM. Enjoy the experience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

2.41 miles in 25.39

After Tuesday's foolishness I've been feeling my right knee a little, so I took it very easy this morning. That's my last run before Sunday, I hope I haven't sabotaged myself...

Great Ireland Run - 53:45

Pretty happy with that, overall. In the last couple of races I've run (Raheny 5 mile and MSB 5k) I've finished feeling that I had plenty of energy left, enough to really pick up the pace in the last 500 metres. But while sprinting to the finish is fun, it's probably not very efficient - however fast I manage to finish, it's probably only going to take 10/20 seconds off my overall time. So today, I tried to push myself all around the course, and have practically nothing left at the end. And I pretty much managed it, I felt I was going pretty fast through the first 5k, and didn't let off too much in the hilly second half.

Bad points -
    It was pretty congested all the way around. Lots of walkers/very slow runners in the first half, people who really shouldn't have been in front of me given I started in the 45-55 group. But even once they'd been left behind, I had to watch the traffic all the way - some people getting knocked out by the hills, others getting their second wind and passing me out - it was pass and be passed all the way to the end. Keeps you alert, but kind of distracting, and the dodging and weaving added a fair amount to the distance I ran.
    Like an idiot, I managed to mess up using my (new) Garmin. Instead of starting a new run, I was continuing Thursday's run, so I didn't have a time/distance reading all the way around. Did have a pace reading though, which was reassuring. But I don't get to check my splits from the day, which is a pain in the arse.

Good points
    The organisation was good, the km markers were big, the water station efficient (thought there'd be another before the end though), the postrace tags/bags/meeting points all good.
    Under 54! I can't complain -under 9 per mile is fine with me, especially with a second half as hilly as that. It was my first 10k, and I think that's a respectable start, but still soft enough a pb for me to beat in my next 10k. And my McMillan equivalent keeps going down (I think), so I'm still hoping for that sub-4 marathon.

5.51 miles in 1.06.30 - 12.04 pace

I was a little unsure about even going out today - my right knee was still a bit stiff, and the muscles in my thighs - but I'm falling behind on the 1000 mile challenge :) Plus I had all my running gear in work with me, so...

Very slow run home today, didn't know I could even run that slowly. But I feel fine after it, like I could have gone on for another few miles with no problem. Legs are more tired but less sore than earlier. Which is nice.

5.4 miles in 58.15 - 10.48 pace

That was my toughest run in a while - sore shins for the first couple of miles and legs tired all the way home. It was supposed to be a low run anyway, but I don't think I could have gone much faster...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

It's only been a few days Raycun*. You'll get there. It took me a 2 weeks (and a sports massage) to get back to normal after a 10 mile race. Are you icing the shins?

(*besides I like reading about other people running as slow as me:p)

littlebug wrote: »
    Are you icing the shins?

My brother is a much more serious runner than me, and the first time I mentioned sore legs after a run he started talking about ice baths - I thought he was kidding.
    My shins are funny, I often get that kind of pain in them when I'm walking, but that's the first time I've got it from running. If I get it again in my next run I'll try the frozen peas...

4.1 miles in 42.08 minutes

Another slow, tired run. Getting a little better though.

2.3 miles in 22.48 - 9.50 pace

Another slow run, felt tired immediately. Went a different route today, up to a local park, just to see what it was like and how long it would take. Luckily it was short...

5.37 miles in 54.03 - 10.05 pace

That was much better. A little cramp around the 2 mile mark, but it went away, and I didn't feel I was dragging myself all the way around.

• Advertisement

7.1 miles in 1.07.49 - 9.33 pace

Up to Tymon Park, around and back. I realised halfway around that this would be my longest run yet, in time and distance, and I'm pretty happy with it. No cramps, just the usual aches and pains, and I could have gone on for another mile if I'd wanted to. I still don't think I'm completely recovered from the Great Ireland Run, I'm not running as easily as I was the week before it, but I'm almost back (and I didn't stop running to recover, which I'm happy with)

Off to Spain now for some warm-weather training...

9 runs x 3 miles - about 28/29 minutes each

Not going to enter details for all of them! On holiday with the in-laws in Spain. The original plan was to run every morning, but after a few days I needed a break, so I did 3 on 1 off for the 12 days. It was quite warm, even at 9/10 am, and the route was almost all hills, so I took it easy...

4.5 miles in 41.40 - 9.16/mile pace
    (more or less, Garmin was home, out of charge)

Very happy with that because it was an easy run home on a route I haven't done for 6 weeks or so. I didn't push myself at all but I think it's the fastest I've run it. Plus that's marginally faster pace than I ran in the Raheny 5, so I should be able to take quite a lot off my PB on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    4.5 miles in 41.40 - 9.16/mile pace
    (more or less, Garmin was home, out of charge)

Very happy with that because it was an easy run home on a route I haven't done for 6 weeks or so. I didn't push myself at all but I think it's the fastest I've run it. Plus that's marginally faster pace than I ran in the Raheny 5, so I should be able to take quite a lot off my PB on Sunday.

Are you doing the sportsworld on sunday as well? See you there.

Yeah, it's my local race and my brother's club, so I'd be shot if I didn't turn up.

5 miles in 39.59 (Sportsworld 5 mile classic)

I'm amazed and delighted with that. My previous PB was 46.34 in Raheny, I wanted to take at least 3 minutes off that, but the best I'd hoped for was 41/42.

It was a lovely day for a run, warm but not too hot, and the race itself was busy enough for company without being crowded. I'd planned to run between 8 and 8.30 per mile, and in the first mile out I knew I was running faster, but comfortably so. I'd ease off whenever I glanced at my watch, but would find myself running faster again soon afterwards. First mile went by in around 7.30.

Second mile I went a bit slower - 8 min/mile - third must have been even slower because I passed the 3 mile mark almost dead-on 24. I expected to keep slowing from here, but I passed mile 4 right on 32. The original plan had been to start speeding up in the last half mile, but I knew by then that wasn't an option, the best I could hope to do was hang on as close to my current pace as possible. Coming around the last corner I though I had nothing left. But then I saw the finish line, and the clock still on 39! Last 50 metres or so I knew I'd be racing the clock and managed to really sprint over the line. Stopped my watch on 39.59 :D

well done Ray, and you're totally justified in taking your watch time. Since there was no chip timing it is the done thing IMO.
    Did you see a few of us over to the left after the race with Boards vests? Next time come over and say hello if you see anyone. It is always nice to put faces to user names.

I didn't see you guys I'm afraid - I went back to run in with my OH, and after that I was looking out for my parents and my kids, who were supposed to be at the finish line too. We'd definitely have come over and said hi.

Here's hoping the boards t-shirts are ready by the next race

I didn't see you guys I'm afraid - I went back to run in with my OH, and after that I was looking out for my parents and my kids, who were supposed to be at the finish line too. We'd definitely have come over and said hi.

Here's hoping the boards t-shirts are ready by the next race

Yeah those t-shirts would be great.
    Your progress since Raheny is fantastic and you are about 30 seconds faster for this race than I was last year (it was my debut :D). I'd say you'll be atking another chunk off that come the race series 5 miler...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dublinrunner

Hey, well done today, ill be keeping an eye on ur log cos i have pretty much the same goals with regard to time etc for DCM, and we also finished the same time , to the second, on the GIR! Weird, but good cos if you start doing loadsa more miles at a much quicker pace it will encourage me to get off the couch!! hehe! A really great run today, not sure i would have kept up with ya for that one!! I wish i had been there as i did it last yr and know they changed the course since, but theres always next year!
    Best of luck with the training, with any luck we'll both be more confident of sub 4hrs nearer the time!!

• Advertisement

Yeah, one of the things I'm really pleased with about that time is that if you punch it in to the McMillan calculator, it gives you a sub4 marathon time :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nice running today, you must be delighted with the PB :D

3 miles in 29.20 (9.50 pace)

Short and slow recovery run after Sunday. Wasn't a lot of fun to run, but feel much better for it.
    I haven't started the proper programme yet, but I'm starting to run now on the marathon training schedule - 3 mile recovery runs on Tuesday and Thursday morning before I leave for work, pace run home from work on Wednesday, LSR on Saturday. I want to get used to this running pattern before I start week 1.

4.81 miles in 42.05 (8.45 pace)

That was a tough run. I'm still feeling Sunday in my legs so I'd happily have slowed down but the schedule says pace run so pace run it was. A little longer than planned too, because my Amazon order came in so I had to swing by and pick it up ("The Runner's Handbook: The Best-selling Classic Fitness Guide for Beginner and Intermediate Runner" by Bob Glover)

Anyway, aside from the tired legs, I find it really difficult to stick to a consistent pace - I don't know how pacers do it. My most common pace seems to be 8.30-8.40, but when I look at my Garmin I could see anything from 7.45 to 9.45, without much of a clue before looking what it's going to say. Oh well, I suppose it will come with time...

Total this week: 7.81 miles

3.03 in 29.59

Another early morning recovery run. Legs still tired and tight from Sunday and yesterday, so no danger of me running this too fast. I think next time I race I'll allow an extra days recovery before my next pace run, this week has been too hard! Anyway, a break now until Saturday's LSR, next week should be much easier.

Total this week: 10.82 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hi ray 6 minutes of your 5 mile PB is fantastic your obviously doing all the right things , well done

7.95 miles in 1:22:45 (average 10.24 pace)

LSR (longest to date) Tired this morning, no energy in the legs, so it was just a matter of slogging it out. At least it was a nice day for it.

Off to Amphibian King tomorrow to get some new runners. Expect to see my mileage double effortlessly next week!

Total this week: 18.77 miles

3 miles in 27/28 minutes (Garmin was taking ages to get a signal so I just turned it off)

Still a few niggles from the weekend, in particular just over my right knee. Hope it clears up by Saturday.

New runners - went out to Amphibian King on Sunday, got a pair of Mizuno Wave Inspire 6. They were very good out there, really knew their stuff. These runners have more support on the inside of the foot - watching the video of me running you could see some secondary movement after my foot landed. More so on the right leg, and more than usual because my knee was tender, but I recognise the movement, I often get it when my legs are getting tired.

Anyway, it'll take some getting used to these runners too - that movement is gone, but I feel like I have more weight on the outside of my foot now. I'll break them in over a few weeks in recovery runs before trying any harder runs in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

(Garmin was taking ages to get a signal so I just turned it off).

I'm gettin that lately too. I reckon the martians are picking off our satellites one by one, making it harder to get a signal. Invasion is imminent any day. Think Jim Corr mentioned it. lol.

Good luck with the new runners. Hope they do the job.

• Advertisement

4.46 miles in 39.20 (average 8.49)

Pace run home. Knee was still bothering me a little this morning, but it had cleared up by lunch. A little tender again at the beginning and end of the run, but nothing too bad. Back to my usual runners today, will wear the new ones in the morning for the recovery run.

Advertisement