Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Me wants a bass

• 30-06-2006 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭ Poppy Prickly Cornbread

Yes, Been lurking these threads and Ithink its not long before GAS kicks in, is it?
    Anywho myuncle is a bass player for a band here in galway and now i want to start :) I would go for a guitar but i have stuby fingers and from messing with my mates, I can find it hard:p
    what would be ideal is an el cheapo electric bass, (~150) and I am going to try scab an amp from my uncle :D
    And
    is teaching myself going to be hard?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Bass is neither easier nor harder than guitar....it just requires different techniques. Blunt fingers don't spell doom for guitar playing prowess, but if you like bass, then by all means go for it.

As far as basses in that price category, I would refer you to yer local mates for ideas, since I don't surf the European markets.

As for training, I would go with DVD lessons like this or this and try to scam some freebie help from your Uncle. Down the road a bit if you find you enjoy it and want to stick with it, I would get a proper teacher and take weekly lessons.

The absolute best advice I can give is: once you get some technique under your belt and learn a few tunes, play with other people. Bass performs a different role than guitar and shines in its best light when playing with others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭ Poppy Prickly Cornbread

hi, thanks for the reply, sadly I cant get lessons from my uncle very often as I live in kildare, he is in galway, Iwill look into the dvds thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭ Poppy Prickly Cornbread

does anyone know of any good guitar/bass shops in dublin?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Just check out the usual - Musician Inc, Music Maker, Instrumental, Waltons.

Advertisement