Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ear training anyone?

• 10-08-2014 7:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭

Looking for someone in the Cork urban area who wants to do 'ear training' for the sake of it. Most I know who play guitar, can't really play by ear(or aren't going to improve from their current ability) and would simply find this boring. But since I take it so seriously, I would be more than happy to sit down for over an hour(if need be) if I thought it be beneficial. Although listening to songs has its benefits for the ear, it's simply not enough.

I'm looking for someone who preferably has an extensive knowledge on chords/scales (or else with a lot of patience), in order to be able to test me(and vise versa) on specific chord movements, intervals, harmonic intervals and licks. It's something that I feel like I've never done properly with someone before, and would like to get the chance. If anyone here really wants to be able to improve with those beautiful rock melodies, then you'll need to do some hear training!!! You'd be surprised how bad you are!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Be interested to hear how you get on. Anyone I know with a good ear was born with it. I certainly wasn't, but I think its got better as I got older. But I'm still pretty bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭LasTime

beauf wrote: »
    Be interested to hear how you get on. Anyone I know with a good ear was born with it. I certainly wasn't, but I think its got better as I got older. But I'm still pretty bad.
    I'm getting better, but only by over analyzing songs and musical phrases. You do need patience!

So does that mean you're interested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Not at the moment. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Finbarr Murphy

I realise this is an old post but if you or anyone else is interested in ear training let me know.

Currently I am using Teoria and David Lucas' Relative Pitch course but human interaction would be nice. Ha ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Hey Finbar,
    Currently trying to improve ear training, recognising intervals, using the ear trainer at https://www.musictheory.net
    have spent a good while on the exercises and seem to be getting somewhere but it can get boring. this is something i keep coming back to over the years as i know for defo it can open up music for me to a different level.

Im also going through the crusage series on ultimate guitar which is very good so far. on part 7 currently.
    It starts here for anyone interested

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/features/the_crusade_part_i.html

be up for any help to nail this sh*t !!

• Advertisement
Advertisement