Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RE: Business Expenses - Impact on Earnings

Options
  • 20-08-2014 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have to apologise in advance for what some may consider a ridiculous question from someone starting up their own business!

I'm about to start my own company and I just can't get my noggin around the impact of business expenses (i.e. expenses I intend to claim from the company related to mileage, stationary, etc.)

I am trying to figure out how business expenses impact on either the company or my own personal earnings.

Take for example the company is paid 10,000 per month (before tax) and I wish to claim business expenses of 2,000. Is the 2,000 taken from the 10,000 before tax or after the tax has been calculated. I am presuming expenses impact therefore on the profit of the company?

I should add that it will be a limited company with a single director holding 100% of the equity.

Again apologies but for some reason I just can't get around the concept.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Alan Shore

Tax is calculated on the profit, so the sales less the allowable expenses in the company.

See extensive coverage of travel expenses paid to Company directors.

Advertisement