Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dethleffs transformer query

• 09-08-2014 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I have a recent problem with the transformer/electrical supply box fitted under the dashboard on the front passenger side. (This is a left hand drive)
    When I plug into mains supply there is a rapid clicking sound from the box in question which I assume is a relay acting up.
    This may have given rise to other problems but maybe they are not associated with it.
    such as
    - lights going off when another light is switched on.
    - Toilet flush not working (pump is ok) etc.
    - green charging light flick's on & off constantly when plugged in.
    Battery seems fine. I suspect I may need to replace the supply box.
    Just wondering if any of you have come across the same or similar problem?

Comments

Just to hazard a wild guess here I'd suspect bad conductivity to your relay coil or a shorted coil creating a weakened magnetic field and resulting in the relay switch suffering from a case of it's own EMI.

If you bypass the relay and things return to normal then just replace the relay or look for corrosion on the coil terminals/connections.

That or it's not a relay it's a resettable fuse and you have an electrical fault in the unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Keelo51

Thanks for that,
    Problem is getting replacement parts for same, been looking online and there's not a whole lot of parts info out there.

If you come across a wiring diagram or tech manual (please post) and are minded and equipped to have a go at it we may be able to give to a few pointers on repairing it.
    Probably need a few more diagnostics too.

I take it this is the mains control/charger unit not just a transformer?
    Most of the time these problems are just frayed/broken wires or corrosion.

Cool, that's right, it's the charger transformer unit. I'll get on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

Any luck? I've got the same system but no info.
    The Dethleffs dealers are:
    http://www.donagheymotorhomes.ie
    and
    http://www.caramotorhomes.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

sounds like a bunch of bad connections or bad earths?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

+1 for bad connection

lights going off when you turn another on would have me lookng for an earth problem.

I'v had no luck coming up with a drawing for Calira transformer/charger and the consensus of opinion here and elsewhere seem's to be an earthing problem, be it dirty contact's or oxidisation on the earth and/or fuse contact's.
    Thank's for your help people, any more tip's or advice with this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Right.......... time to get to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

You could try here:

http://www.motorhomecraic.com/forum/topic.php?t=5230

Or here:

http://www.knausowners.com/4.html

It seems that Calira circuit diagrams are hard to come by, but I would expect that there's someone local who has been through this before and knows his way around the innards. Unfortunately I can't suggest anyone.

• Advertisement

+2 on possible bad ground. First port of call anyways.
    Check all grounds for resistance between device and battery negative (with the positive disconnected) anything above double digit Ωs thereabouts needs a cleaning of contacts/terminations.

If you don't have a multimeter you can just eyeball them for crustiness and tug them for good connection. Battery neg. to chassis would be the obvious start of inspection. Sand-paper or little screw-gun stone grinders work quite well I find. Shiney connections is what yer after.

Advertisement