Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

J1 2013 Texas

• 27-02-2013 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi!
    I was just wondering if anyone on here has done a J1 in Texas (I'm specifically looking at Austin) and has any advice? Like is it a good place to go (I'm going alone and being away from the rest of the Irish crowd is kind of the plan lol! :D )? Any advice on jobs, accommodation etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Great plan. Austin is a great town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 appleby

Hi,
    Are you still out in Austin?
    In Boston the last month but heading out to Austin soon for my last 3 weeks on my own, the lads got homesick and jogged back to Ireland
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 8 laser4

Heading to Dallas Texas for a 3 month holiday, I would be interested to hear from anyone that has been and could recommend some spots to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 manzana

I've never had a J1 but been in Austin for a few years now...
    Young, single etc? You'll like it. Weird but so many people go wild for a UK/Scots/Irish accent.
    (And the city needs more people with Cork accent)

You'll need a car unless you live by UT and have a work etc very close. Public transport is a joke, even compared to rural West Cork. Nobody walks anywhere because it's 35C or more like April to October, and you'd be sweaty after a block.
    Craigslist or some apartment rentals could be a place to start for house hunting, and don't forget reddit.com/r/austin for more input. I'd say house sharing would probably be the best for a shorter stay, it'll keep the costs more manageable and you don't have to ponder everything alone.
    Running and biking are big (but biking isn't safe, too many drivers are tweetbag idiots).
    Lots of yummy foods from around the world... what else can I tell?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 spikeyfish

Just wondering if you ended up going to Austin on your J1? Thinking of going there this summer and would love to hear how it worked out!

• Advertisement
Advertisement