Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do we ignore animal cruelty to suit us?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

stevenmu wrote: »
    To me suffocation sounds like the most horrible terrifying way to die possible, I wouldn't want to put something else through that.
    It's not suffocation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_asphyxiation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

ScumLord wrote: »
    Their all killed the same way, it's a production line and there's no variety in production lines. It is the nicest way an animal can be killed, compared to other predators we're damned nice to our prey.

I can't watch the video yet but I'm assuming it's a worst case scenario from a foreign country.

I do think all animals should be killed through inert gas, it's painless.
    The alternative is that we all go out and hunt and kill our own food. While that might be more natural, it's horribly ineffiecient, we'd end up killing far more animals than we use, and most animals would die a much slower and mroe painful death.

The first part of the video was fine but near the end was awful. The animals were still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

hondasam wrote: »
    The first part of the video was fine but near the end was awful. The animals were still alive.

Were they? They were moving but that doesn't mean they were alive. Most likely they were dead and there muscles were in spasm.

It's a shocking visual but it's probable the animal felt nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Using a captive bolt to the front of the skull is easy for someone to do, which is why it's the routine. More useful and humane would be a strong, sharp knife to the atlas joint but it takes a steady hand and an understanding of what you're trying to achieve. Like I said earlier, death is messy. You can either get the blood on your own hands or accept that there are going to be compromises to efficacy in the interests of efficiency. At least if there's suffering when you're doing it, you can deal with the responsibility yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Note to the op:
    wikipedia wrote:
    Today, pithing is not practiced on animals intended for the human food supply because it may lead to the spread of fragments of neural matter through the carcass, but this method is encouraged for animals in emergency or disease control situations where the meat will not be consumed. USA regulations are currently in place disallowing importation of beef from cows which have been killed in this manner, due to risk of Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE, or "mad cow") disease. The European Union has also banned the practice on animals intended for human consumption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Its the minority of people that are cruel to animals, its also the minorty that like to tar us with the cruel to animals brush asking directly "are we cruel to animals?" Yes proportions of the human race are cruel to animals. There is also a large proportion of people cruel to other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,574 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Oranage2 wrote: »
    No, about treating other animals ith a bit more respect.

- If this was about puppies being throw in a river everybody would be up in arms looking for that person to be thrown in prison -

When it comes to a pig nobody cares.

We breed these animals for slaughter, They are bred to be eaten and used in food and many of the products you have right now in your bathroom / under your sink.

I think youd change your attitude quick smart if you lost all of the stuff in your home that is manufactured from animal products.

As said above, They are generally shocked with high voltage to the head for stun and then throat is slit quickly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Actually that doesn't sound too bad at all, I'd forgotten it was the CO2 that made suffocation so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Their all killed the same way, it's a production line and there's no variety in production lines. It is the nicest way an animal can be killed, compared to other predators we're damned nice to our prey.

A point missed by many with airy ideals about the treatment of animals. Many predators will happily gorge on an animals guts while it's still alive. Cows (in Ireland, at least) live a luxurious life compared to many wild animals

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lemd

Actually that doesn't sound too bad at all, I'd forgotten it was the CO2 that made suffocation so bad.

I watched an episode of Horizon recently "How to kill a Human Being" which had mention of this as not just painless but actually a pleasant method of death. The programme was about execution but the nitrogen was being tested on pigs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/horizon/broadband/tx/executions/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Seachmall wrote: »
    Were they? They were moving but that doesn't mean they were alive. Most likely they were dead and there muscles were in spasm.

It's a shocking visual but it's probable the animal felt nothing.

I know they were probably dead but it was horrible. I stopped watching so don't know what the end was like.

I know they were probably dead but it was horrible. I stopped watching so don't know what the end was like.
    they all became happily ever after meals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

AeoNGriM wrote: »
    I'm 6ft 3, weigh about 17 stone, built like a brick ****house - basically about as manly as they come and I will freely admit that animal cruelty, or seeing animals being slaughtered/in distress reduces me to a gigantic, blubbering vagina.

How the hell can any person with any sense of decency do a job like this? How do they not have huge emotional problems, alcohol and drug addictions?

I realise that it's somewhat of a necessity, but fcuk that. It's barbaric, cruel and inhumane.

No one cares how built or tall you are how is that relevant in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Humans are cruel. Period!

We forget that we are animals just like the animals we are cruel to.

We are cruel to our species too, so that to me is also cruelty to animals.

Watch a movie called Earthlings people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Necessary part of life unfortunately. Like most things in life however I'm sure we could do it better.

Although Irish livestock generally have a pretty good life for 99% of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

mconigol wrote: »
    Necessary part of life unfortunately. Like most things in life however I'm sure we could do it better.

Although Irish livestock generally have a pretty good life for 99% of it anyway.

I am a meat-eater too, so by definition a hypocrite on this subject.

But lets not paint a rosy picture about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

because if he's a big tall man you won't think he's a vagina if he admits to crying

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

deisedave wrote: »

It depends i suppose.

Did he get that built eating string beans and tofu.

Or steak and chicken.

My money is on the meat.

Necessary part of life unfortunately.
    why is it necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

:(
    That video is horrible. But we need to eat, we could be more humane though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

why is it necessary?

So people can eat and not die obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

The "See my Vest" simpsons song has been playing over and over in my head while reading this....

...."like my loafers former goafers, it was that or skin my chauffers"....

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Humans are cruel. Period!

We forget that we are animals just like the animals we are cruel to.

We are cruel to our species too, so that to me is also cruelty to animals.

Watch a movie called Earthlings people.
    Animals aren't really cruel, most other animals don't have the ability to think what might be going on in the mind of another living thing. That's something pretty unique to us, cruelty just isn't a concept they understand. It's one of those human concepts that doesn't really exist outside of human minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

I wonder if Hitler got any of his ideas from slaughter houses.

Just say they are inferior or some other justification so therefore their suffering doesn't count and try not to let the general public see the actual suffering. People won't care then.
    Hitler was a vegetarian ,he actually had a deep love and respect for animals.One of the first laws passed after he came to power was to ban foxhunting with hounds.I think he also wanted to ban the cooking of Lobsters while they were alive..not sure if that law was passed or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I stopped watching it is horrible and cruel. Why does it have to be like this?

It doesn't have to be like that, people make it like that. Sure you only have to look at the video that came out a few months ago of the slaughter house workers torturing the animals before killing them to see the blatant lack of respect people have for the animals that sustain them.

But what can ya do, people want to eat meat!

What really pisses me off is people who use vanity products tested on animals. Completely vulgar and unnecessary!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

I can't watch the video yet but I'm assuming it's a worst case scenario from a foreign country.
    I do think all animals should be killed through inert gas, it's painless.
    i disagree with this point from scumlord. There are 2 ways to kill an animal in an abatoir humane and inhumane. With the bolt method the animal is dead and that it i haven't seen the video as i'm on a mobile phone but i've seen this loads of times over the years the animal is dead at that point everything else is just d muscles twitching. Halal killing is totally different, its for contracts in middle eastern countries that insist on this method as part of their religion. If the animal was shot in the head first it would be already dead before the throat was cut which would go against their religious beliefs. They are that serious about it that will only allow their own halal butchers to kill there animals. One last point with the bolt method to the head the vets would test the stress levels of the animals after slaughter. With this method the meat would be red but with the halal method the meat would be dark brown and this would make the meat much tougher. The video might loom bad but try googling the halal method and see barbaric. Total nut jobs they are. Sorry if this is all thrown together i'm on my phone so dont see paragraphs

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Eating Meat makes your body stink....that's a fact.Healthy VEGETARIANS don't smell like meat eaters.Go into any Zoo and the places where meat eaters are kept & they smell much worse than the others....Smell for your self.....Also christianity has ignored the very severe prohibitions against Animal Cruelty in previous traditions.Notably the 7 noahide Laws.Many people will not eat a pig and some believe it causes crankiness because of the pigs temperament though that has not being proven as far as i know.Many believe the blood of an animal houses the spirit or soul not being proven either but some people's behaviour would make you wonder.Would eating lion flesh give me courage..i doubt it.Cruelty in the industrial and ordinary schools may well have stemmed from mistreatment of Animals first as a lot of the brothers and nuns came from Farming Backgrounds.There are plenty of websites and your answers may well be as good as mine but enquiry is useful and can be very interesting too.Ignorance is no excuse these days.

So people can eat and not die obviously.
    is it necessary to eat meat though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

No, humans can survive quite healthily on a diet of no meat, it's not necessary, people just like the taste of it. Obviously there's some nutritional value to it, but nothing that cant be found elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Despite this obvious flaming. There is a Vegan that works with me, always looks malnutritioned/skinny/pale and gets sick and is off work at least twice as much as anyone else.

Advertisement