Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Father of the bride speech

• 07-09-2011 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hello,
    My sister is getting married in 7 weeks time, my dad is a simple auld farmer from the midlands with very little social skills, he hasn't said he was nervous about the speech but I know he will make a haims of it if I don't jump in and offer a nice short template for him to read off.

Can anyone offer a very short father of the bride speech which covers all parties involved.

Regards
    David

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Does he have to make a speech at all if he wouldn't be comfortable doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Google is your best bet. There are loads of sample speech's online. Basically, he just thanks everyone for coming. Say how beautiful is daughter is and how happy he is to welcome his new son-in-law into the family.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Op i'm in a similar position, getting married next year and the brides father has a thick mayo accent and wont be comfortable at all, but i actually think he's started practising already :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Just to thank everybody, thats really the only minimum they need to say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

I've been to a few of weddings where the father of the bride did not do a speach at all. Generally pased on to eldest brother, or even mother in some cases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

i'd say leave it OP, if he didnt ask for help, i'd say hes fine, you might just make him (more) self-concious if you mention it

also

• Registered Users Posts: 46 msnd

I also think that if he hasn't brought it up then I would leave it be. It is his daughter so you could be stepping on his toes by trying to muscle in on his chance to say something meaningful to her on the day.

If he asks for help give it but don't say that he will make a haims of it to him it will take all the fun out of it. Ask him to keep it short if you want but don't try to take his few minutes of centre stage on the day away from him.

My Dad is making a speech at my wedding, I think that it has been on his mind since the day I said I am engaged. I know he would be offended if my brother tried to take that opportunity away from him. Let him have is moment it is only a few minutes out of the whole day anyway

Advertisement