Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M1 Garand?

• 16-12-2010 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭

ok this probably doesn't belong here guys and im sorry but i couldn't find another thread suitable. i read somewhere lately that it is legal in this country to own a bolt action rifle from ww2. is this true? and does the M1 Garand qualify as bolt action?
    thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Go to 'Sports... Shooting', and post in there.

But in a nutshell, yes, there is little issue with a bolt-action rifle. Technically, any sort of rifle is legal in Ireland, though some are categorised as 'restricted' and are much harder to get a license for.

The Garand is not a bolt action, it is a semi-auto, although not an evil-looking-one, so would likely pass the infamous Garda "Idunlikedalookadat" test. I have no idea if it counts as 'restricted' or not, rest assured the lads over at 'Shooting' can give you the lowdown.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Guy in Galway was selling them converted to fire .308 (more common).
    They're a bit more hassle to get than, say a Lee Enfield or the likes, but still legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭killerking

ok this probably doesn't belong here guys and im sorry but i couldn't find another thread suitable. i read somewhere lately that it is legal in this country to own a bolt action rifle from ww2. is this true? and does the M1 Garand qualify as bolt action?
    thank you

The M1 Garand is a clip fed 8 round semi-automatic rifle.

This is a clip of the weapon in action - as long as the operator presses the trigger the gas operated mechanism of the weapon will cycle - ejecting the spent cartridge and automatically reloading a fresh round as long as there is ammo in the clip. After the 8 rounds are expended the weapon ejects the metal clip which makes a 'ping' noise.

This is a video of the weapon in action:

A bolt-action rifle is a manually operated weapon - Mauser 98K, Mosin-Nagant, Lee-Enfield etc.

These weapons have a bolt that is drawn back and forth by a handle.
    To load the operator opens the breech by lifting the bolt handle, drawing it back, stuff the 6 round or 5 round clip into the top and then closing the breech again.
    With each pull of the trigger, the operator must cycle the bolt to eject the spent casing and shave a fresh round off the top of the clip by push the bolt back into position and pull the trigger again.

This video shows a bolt action rifle in action:

Because of the Troubles in Ireland only .22 caliber bolt-action rifles and twelve-gauge shotguns are allowed and only for the purposes of hunting of deer (as far as I know the licensing of deer rifles is very strict because the same weapon could be used to kill a prominent politician or attack security forces) and controlling vermin like crows, foxes, rabbits etc.

Heavier caliber high velocity rifles of especially the .30-06 caliber M1 Garand are strictly prohibited unless the owner has special legal permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

thanks guys, ill enquire with my local garda. can anyone give me a list of ww2 rifles that are legal in this country? or even a few? thank you

Again, check out the shooting forum, but it's easier to say which WWII rifles are not easily allowed. A Stg-44 would be one of them. You'll have far better luck getting a Garand than an AR15.
    Because of the Troubles in Ireland only .22 caliber bolt-action rifles and twelve-gauge shotguns are allowed and only for the purposes of hunting of deer (as far as I know the licensing of deer rifles is very strict because the same weapon could be used to kill a prominent politician or attack security forces) and controlling vermin like crows, foxes, rabbits etc

Erm... The rules on firearms have changed at least twice since GFA. And even at the time that the rules were at their strictest, you could get something bigger than .22LR for deer hunting. (.243 at least, if memory serves). Frankly, a .22LR wouldn't have the power to do the job.

NTM

• Advertisement

Again, check out the shooting forum, but it's easier to say which WWII rifles are not easily allowed. A Stg-44 would be one of them. You'll have far better luck getting a Garand than an AR15.

Erm... The rules on firearms have changed at least twice since GFA. And even at the time that the rules were at their strictest, you could get something bigger than .22LR for deer hunting. (.243 at least, if memory serves). Frankly, a .22LR wouldn't have the power to do the job.

NTM

There are more .22 bullets than just .22LR.

thanks guys, ill enquire with my local garda. can anyone give me a list of ww2 rifles that are legal in this country? or even a few? thank you

None of them would be legal in Ireland because they are all about .30 caliber.

You would only be allowed to own deactivated rifles or replicas.

I've seen quite a few rifles in Ireland in the .30 cal range. .303s are quite common, .308s even moreso. You are, however, unlikely to be allowed one on your first licence.

Ignore Manic, he'll only show you pictures of lovely shiny things and then smash your dreams by telling you why you'll never be able to own them in Ireland. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Ouch I feel for him, there's a picture of me out there, on the range in Gormanston in shirt sleeve order firing a .303. It hurts I can tell you. In the photo my beret is strategically placed to cushion the recoil. It has to be said that proper technique will minimise the hurt experienced.

I would like to get a Lee Enfield someday, if only deactivated. But you can get them and Garands and licence them. A shop in Galway was selling Garands last year.

• Advertisement

xflyer wrote: »
    Ouch I feel for him, there's a picture of me out there, on the range in Gormanston in shirt sleeve order firing a .303. It hurts I can tell you. In the photo my beret is strategically placed to cushion the recoil. It has to be said that proper technique will minimise the hurt experienced.

You need to find a Mosin and fire that. .303 isn't all that bad, really, I spent quite a happy few dollars banging away on my No4Mk1 over the weekend. My buddy brought his Mosin, the difference is shocking. That is a rifle where padding is quite acceptable. (Plus you have the shorter stock due to the thick Russian coats)

NTM

killerking wrote: »
    There are more .22 bullets than just .22LR.

This is true, and none, with the possible exception of .22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer, are particularly noted for their capability against deer.

Even 5.56mm NATO (.223) is considered too weak to be a legal deer-hunting calibre in many jurisdictions.

Not only do I have recollection of larger bolt-actions in Ireland in the 1990s, your post below indicates that your credibility on the subject is highly suspect.
    None of them would be legal in Ireland because they are all about .30 caliber.

You would only be allowed to own deactivated rifles or replicas.

NTM

Damm those Russians, NTM, they were right hard. The Moisins are quite popular since JFK got offed by one.

But like I said if you get the technique right, you can minimise the bruising. You are too soft with your M4s and your Abrams gun. All you have to do with the latter is shout 'Fire'. Your gunner has all the work to do.

I know Kalifornia is not exactly gun utopia for the NRA but compared to the old country it's paradise. Enjoy!

Damm those Russians, NTM, they were right hard. The Moisins are quite popular since JFK got offed by one.

Erm, LHO used a Carcano.

NTM

This is true, and none, with the possible exception of .22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer, are particularly noted for their capability against deer.

Even 5.56mm NATO (.223) is considered too weak to be a legal deer-hunting calibre in many jurisdictions.

Not only do I have recollection of larger bolt-actions in Ireland in the 1990s, your post below indicates that your credibility on the subject is highly suspect.

NTM
    This is the firearms law in Ireland:

From 2008 http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Restricted%20Firearms%20and%20Ammunition%20S.I..pdf/Files/Restricted%20Firearms%20and%20Ammunition%20S.I..pdf

and amended in 2009

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/SI%20337%20of%202009.pdf/Files/SI%20337%20of%202009.pdf

Killerking, you might want to have a word with these guys too. They seem to believe they can have larger calibre rifles in Ireland.

http://www.vcrai.com/

I would also suggest the OP get in touch with them too. I imagine they would be the experts on the subject.

NTM, I stand duly corrected on the Carcano, for some reason I had it in my head it was Russian thus a Moisin.

Killerking, you might want to have a word with these guys too. They seem to believe they can have larger calibre rifles in Ireland.

http://www.vcrai.com/

I would also suggest the OP get in touch with them too. I imagine they would be the experts on the subject.

NTM, I stand duly corrected on the Carcano, for some reason I had it in my head it was Russian thus a Moisin.

My point was that owning and shooting a M1 Garand is highly restricted.
    Unless you have special permission you can't legally own or shoot one of these military weapons.
    Owning and shooting high velocity hunting rifles is also highly restricted because they can be used by criminals.
    Because of gangland violence and dissident republican activity, the government does not want dangerous people getting hold of military rifles - bolt-action, semi-automatic or fully automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

In the bad old days .22 cal was the largest cal available, hence people shooting deer usually used the .22/250 which is really a varmint round.
    Now we have a little more sense and insist on muzzle energy figure.
    Calibres up to .30 cal in bolt action are unrestricted.
    and semi-autos can also be unrestricted unless they are under 90cm in length
    Bullpup configuration is also grounds for restriction as is any rifle that resembles an assault rifle.
    To the best of my knowledge there are no fully automatic rifles licensed to civilians in Ireland, however there are many semi-autos licensed.
    To be honest the whole troubles issue is a non-issue these days, if dissidents want to get weapons they just buy them from other criminals and bring them in with drugs, they aren't in the habit of applying for licenses from the Gardai.
    These are the commissioners guidelines and may make it a little clearer as to what is and isn't restricted.
    http://garda.ie/Documents/User/Commissioners%20Guidelines%204.pdf

Yes you do need a licence and you have to jump through a number of loops to get one. But the point is that you can get one. I'm quite sure that someone like myself could get his hands on a Garand eventually after satisfying all the ridiculous requirements put in place by the clowns who run this country at the moment.

As for keeping guns like that out of criminal's hand. Well what a joke that is. A Garda told me it's never been easier to get your hands on an illegal gun or rifle.They won't be bothering with bolt action or any long rifles when they can pick up an AK for next to nothing. This isn't the place for a debate on gun laws but they are a farce. The only people they deter are law abiding citizens with no intent to harm anyone.

Yes you do need a licence and you have to jump through a number of loops to get one. But the point is that you can get one. I'm quite sure that someone like myself could get his hands on a Garand eventually after satisfying all the ridiculous requirements put in place by the clowns who run this country at the moment.

As for keeping guns like that out of criminal's hand. Well what a joke that is. A Garda told me it's never been easier to get your hands on an illegal gun or rifle.They won't be bothering with bolt action or any long rifles when they can pick up an AK for next to nothing. This isn't the place for a debate on gun laws but they are a farce. The only people they deter are law abiding citizens with no intent to harm anyone.

And what exactly do you need an M1 Garand for?:confused:

I prefer a peaceful society where people aren't going up into bell towers of churches to pick people off.

• Advertisement

You need to find a Mosin and fire that. .303 isn't all that bad, really, I spent quite a happy few dollars banging away on my No4Mk1 over the weekend. My buddy brought his Mosin, the difference is shocking. That is a rifle where padding is quite acceptable. (Plus you have the shorter stock due to the thick Russian coats)

NTM

Not sure how they got boys in the militias to hold up to the carbine versions.
    I hear the No. 5 Jungle Carbine kicks a bit, there's a pad on that one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

And what exactly do you need an M1 Garand for?:confused:

I prefer a peaceful society where people aren't going up into bell towers of churches to pick people off.
    This is a pretty insulting comment, whats the difference between an M1 Garand and a Deer stalking rifle?
    Where in Ireland has a person climbed into a belfry and shot a passerby with a military rifle?
    I think you are jumping to daft conclusions and to get on topic the link to the VCRAI has already been posted, there are lots of people with an interest in shooting that enjoy using classic military rifles in target shooting.
    No harm in that is there?
    You do know that in rifle shooting there is a 100% safety record in the sport?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    This is a pretty insulting comment, whats the difference between an M1 Garand and a Deer stalking rifle?
    Where in Ireland has a person climbed into a belfry and shot a passerby with a military rifle?
    I think you are jumping to daft conclusions and to get on topic the link to the VCRAI has already been posted, there are lots of people with an interest in shooting that enjoy using classic military rifles in target shooting.
    No harm in that is there?
    You do know that in rifle shooting there is a 100% safety record in the sport?

We've had quite a lot of IRA snipers down through the years thank you very much.
    I'm sure there are some responsible people who just want to have some fun and target shoot but these lethal weapons should never be easily available to unstable people and besides republican violence/gangland crime, we have a lot of suicides, depression, drug/alcohol addicts etc in this country and we certainly don't need them getting hold of M1 Garands or other more modern semi-automatic or automatic weapons which is why we need draconian laws in place.
    In the US, M16s and AK-47 rifles not to mention high velocity hunting rifles are freely available to citizens. The level of gun crime in the US is out of control with some parts of major cities as nearly as violent as any Third World dump.
    We don't need that kind of lunacy in this country, that's for sure.
    Only the Army and the Gardai should have access to that level of firepower.
    If people want to buy these kind of weapons and own them when they are designed for nothing else but for the battlefield you have to wonder about their sanity to be quite honest.

We've had quite a lot of IRA snipers down through the years thank you very much.

How many of them went to the Gardai to obtain a license for their rifle?
    I'm sure there are some responsible people who just want to have some fun and target shoot but these lethal weapons should never be easily available to unstable people and besides republican violence/gangland crime, we have a lot of suicides, depression, drug/alcohol addicts etc in this country and we certainly don't need them getting hold of M1 Garands or other more modern semi-automatic or automatic weapons which is why we need draconian laws in place.

I believe you'll find that the current licensing system in Ireland generally does tend to keep legally owned firearms of all sorts out of the hands of unstable people, gangland members, and the like.
    In the US, M16s and AK-47 rifles not to mention high velocity hunting rifles are freely available to citizens. The level of gun crime in the US is out of control with some parts of major cities as nearly as violent as any Third World dump.

In Switzerland, the government issues you a military grade rifle to keep in your home, and even pays for your ammunition when you decide to carry it down the street (stopping off at the shop for some water) to the range on Sunday. Children as young as 13 are encouraged to shoot the Sg-90 (current Swiss Army rifle) in official government competitions. The level of gun crime is fairly low. It's not bad in Israel either, actually, once you get past the Palstinian/Lebanese/Israeli conflict.

Why cannot a rifle-available Ireland be compared to Switzerland or Holland and not the US? Have you been inside a German gun shop recently?

NTM

How many of them went to the Gardai to obtain a license for their rifle?

Lots of legally owned shotguns and rifles ended up in IRA hands.
    I believe you'll find that the current licensing system in Ireland generally does tend to keep legally owned firearms of all sorts out of the hands of unstable people, gangland members, and the like.

Let's keep it that way.
    In Switzerland, the government issues you a military grade rifle to keep in your home, and even pays for your ammunition when you decide to carry it down the street (stopping off at the shop for some water) to the range on Sunday. Children as young as 13 are encouraged to shoot the Sg-90 (current Swiss Army rifle) in official government competitions. The level of gun crime is fairly low. It's not bad in Israel either, actually, once you get past the Palstinian/Lebanese/Israeli conflict.

Letting people own and letting kids shoot military grade rifles in the absence of a military conflict is insanity. In Israel they are surrounded by Muslim lunatics so that makes sense. Not in the land of cuckoo clocks and chocolate and certainly not in Ireland.
    Why cannot a rifle-available Ireland be compared to Switzerland or Holland and not the US? Have you been inside a German gun shop recently?

Germans owning guns makes me uneasy for obvious reasons.

An armed society is quite frankly nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

In Israel they are surrounded by Muslim lunatics so that makes sense.

Not in the land of cuckoo clocks and chocolate

Well judging by this post and your post's previous, you seem to be the type of person who has, strong, opinions, and won't be swayed by reason or debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Why does private firearm ownership by German citizens make you uneasy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

there is almost no calibre that you technically cannot have in ireland , just the bigger you go the harder it is to get a licence if you want a small .22lr or a shotgun it is very easy get one just basically apply i had my licence's 4 weeks after i applied , i have fired a lee enfield .303 at the midlands range with a friend of mine he has a legally held one as did many of the lads there you can get a M1 garand but because it is a semi auto it can be a bit trickier to get but not impossible by any means and while the original M1 was a 30-06 springfield round most of the licenced ones in this country are a .308 , as said post over in the shooting section as some of the lads over there have these guns

Lots of legally owned shotguns and rifles ended up in IRA hands.

Realistically, let's talk about proportions. How many legally owned shotguns and rifles out of the civil populations ended up in PIRA hands? And how many of the PIRA's weapons were legally owned shotguns and rifles? There were barracks raids, there were Libyan shipments, there were the Armalite shipments from the US... In terms of effect, I don't think Farmer O' Flaherty's .303 stolen in 1969 really had particular statistical significance.
    Let's keep it that way.

That's fine, I don't think anyone is proposing any major changes to the current situation.
    Letting people own and letting kids shoot military grade rifles in the absence of a military conflict is insanity.

Why? Nobody's getting hurt, and it's a useful skill and sport. (And waiting until a military conflict starts is arguably too late)

This should be entertaining.
    An armed society is quite frankly nuts.

Given that most every country in Europe licenses handguns and center-fire semi-automatic rifles, and that Ireland and the UK are rather anachronisms in the world at large in this respect, are you implying that most other countries in the world are nuts?

There seems to be this bizarre conception that an inanimate object, when taken into the hands of a person, suddenly becomes this corrupting, dangerous source of evil, that the mere presence of a firearm outside of a very regimented and specific environment should cause concern and panic.

From this photo essay:
    http://www.geo.fr/photos/reportages-geo/les-suisses-neutres-mais-armes-jusqu-aux-dents/

file.php?id=1543

That's what is possible. The rifle is simply another item on the street, legally owned, legally used, and causing no panic whatsoever.

[Edit, for those who don't speak French, the translations:

1) For safety, the selector's been blocked, but Michele, 9, already knows how to aim the SIG550, Swiss service rifle. She only has to wait a few more months before she can partake in competitions, open to ten years and older.

2) Men are entered into the Army at 18. They undertake an 18-week recruit course. Plus, every year until age 30 for junior enlisted, and 50 for higher ranks, they must do a three week period. Employers must allow the absence.

3) Andrea Brülhmann, 26, is a member of the Olympic shooting team. She combines her training with teaching young participants in the sport. To supplement her income, she babysits. Parents can rest easy!

4) Psychology Student Kristina Krepelka , left, trains with mobile silhouette targets. the 21-year-old is also an instructor for Youth of Geneva.

5) Water pistols are forbidden! The children of the Fontana family are also not alllowed to play with toy guns. The parents would prefer they understood the dangers of real firearms, before partaking, as a family, in the love of shooting.

6) The Walsers are excellent shots, and practice twice a week. Mom's a teacher, Dad a judge. Albert, (16) is in secondary school, while his brother, 18, is about to enter recruit training, the first stage of his military obligation.

7) On their 16th birthdays, boys and girls are sent a letter from the Shooting Federation to attend free courses on the Army's assault rifle.

8) The great historical battles are celebrated, such as on 22JUN10 in Morat, where some 500 shooters gathered for the anniversary of the Swiss defeat of the Duke of Bourgogne in 1476.

9) Certainly it is not encouraged to go strolling everywhere with your weapon, but stopping to run an errand on the way back from the range is accepted. The sight of the gun bothers nobody.

10) Participants at a shooting competition at an armory equipped for the purpose.

11) Over three million rounds are fired in a month at the 2010 Schutzenfest, a federal shooting festival in Aarau. Every five years for over a century, this event has gathered shooters from over the country. This June, over 50,000 people participated.

12) These shooting enthusiasts are gathered in Morat to share their mutual passion.
    NTM

• Advertisement

There seems to be this bizarre conception that an inanimate object, when taken into the hands of a person, suddenly becomes this corrupting, dangerous source of evil, that the mere presence of a firearm outside of a very regimented and specific environment should cause concern and panic.

What is bizarre about that conception?
    I don't see any armed bandits riding around on trucks waving rifles and grenade launchers raping and pillaging the Irish countryside so I fail to see why anyone needs to own semi-automatic or automatic military grade rifles.
    The Black and Tans are long gone, the UVF and the IRA are disarmed and this country has had an unarmed police force since 1922.
    Unless you are in a shooting club or re-enactment society - you have no business owning any military grade weapon for any reason unless you are a wacko who wants to start a small war.

At the moment this country is undergoing economic and political unheaval.

The thought of thousands of people armed to the teeth already with shotguns and rifles is bad enough. It would be a nightmare if a group of individuals styling themselves as revolutionaries decided to turn up and take over a town or major urban area.

Advertisement