Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Green for the day that's in it

Looks interesting :) are those pancakes, and how did you make them green?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Looks interesting :) are those pancakes, and how did you make them green?

They are pancakes yeah, blend a bit of spinach with water and add it to the pancake mix. They were really good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Friend made me this easter egg filled with honeycomb and mini crunchies, so good.

J4GJbVVl.jpg

Went to the first culinary event with Vegan Dublin Food Tours by Vegan In Ireland at Ananda with a friend last night. I was wondering how popular that would be and was pleasantly surprised to see a sign saying the restaurant was closed for a vegan tasting event as I approached.

There was about 40 people there, only 10 of which were vegan I was told upon entering, so it would be interesting to see what everybody else thought. We were seated with four other people that I didn't know but were lovely. They were really into food, cooking and Ananda in general, they were there to see could the food be good, what would it even be like and so on.

The Head Chef and Sivan from Vegan in Ireland came out and gave a talk about the night, veganism, the food and what went into it, the origins in India and so forth, a really endearing young man and great speech from Sivan to start of their series of events. The food arrived and it was "Old Delhi Chaat", the host explained what it was and how to eat it properly. I plucked it up with one hand and ate it in a single bite as advised. There was so much going on that I can not tell you what exactly was in it but honestly the flavours were still changing in my mouth after ten seconds and it was heaven. Murmurs of assent from the crowd, a really nice atmosphere. I knew I was in for a good time.

Following on from that there was the Assiette which consisted of a potato and pea galette, a fermented rice cake, pickled tea leaves with spiced chickpeas, a corn and watercress seekh kebab and a plum citrus salad. Star of the show here was the fermented rice cake if I had to choose, the chef said after that it would be the first thing from menu onto their main menu due to the feedback for it, I'm not sure what witchcraft made it fluffy, it was an lighter fermented savoury victorian sponge cake taht was left soaking flavours overnight. At this stage one of the people there piped up that this was as good as if not better than the normal Ananda tasting menu and another joined in with the fact that she really wanted to find any fault with the vegan food but everything was amazing.

The fermentation was not over as it must be in vogue, before the next course came out they brought out the most interesting component in some jars for each table to smell, and if very adventurous, taste. It was aged black limes, fermented. The jars were opened as the chef explained to the room that the black limes were dried for two months before being fermented for a year, it was pungent! My nose did not know wtf it was witnessing when I brought the jar close, it was electric. I dipped a knife in and it was some form of new taste I had never had anything like. The course involving it arrived, a Himalayan sea salt with toasted cumin seed sorbet, aged black lime on top. So strange to have cumin seeds in a sorbet, really delicious.
    Next up was apricot and butternut squash koftas with textures of spinach, fresh tumeric, quinoa and wild morel pulao. With that came tandoori bread with a vessel of yellow split pea daal. Fantastic.

Final course was coconut kheer, with seasonal macerated and fresh berries, lemon verbena, crisp kataifi, raspberry sorbet and 24 karat gold leaf. Delicious, dessert, made with coconut milk instead of dairy and was a nice twist. As a woman said, in Ireland we have terrible memories of rice pudding but this changed all that. The berries really reminded me of what a difference perfect fruit makes vs the standard affair and the nest of "kataifi" was wonderful.

Finished off with coffee (I shouldn't have had this was buzzing all night.) while there was a Q&A with the chef along with feedback and so forth (first comment from a woman telling him they were all in love with him now), a few rounds of applause and things like that after a closing speech from Vegan In Ireland. The chef hung around with all the staff to talk to us about the food, was a really great experience and have felt great since. It is always good to see some non-vegan people trying food like that and being wowed.
    https://imgur.com/a/pjZhRnx
    https://veganinireland.com/irelands-chefs-are-going-vegan-vegan-in-ireland-culinary-event-series

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Crikey TA, did you die and go to heaven or what?

• Advertisement

We visited Bláth na Gréine on Inisheer 2/9/2018. I've done a post about our trip here and a specific review of the café here.

Please support these lovely people when you get chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭embraer170

We visited Bláth na Gréine on Inisheer 2/9/2018. I've done a post about our trip here and a specific review of the café here.

Please support these lovely people when you get chance.
    Thanks, will give the place a go next time I make it over to Inisheer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I live in Galway & have never visited the Aran islands. Might head out on Friday. Would one day be enough?

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    I live in Galway & have never visited the Aran islands. Might head out on Friday. Would one day be enough?

It depends on what you like doing. Inisheer, you can do in a day but it's better over two. Get in touch with Rebecca at Bláth na Gréine to ask about accommodation options there or just take that one day trip.

Inishmore, you really need two days, it's much bigger island. Take a bike or hire one there, it's really the best way to get around. Dun Aengus is a must! I prefer it to the Cliffs of Moher.

There's a hostel on Inishmore - Mainistir Hostel - run by a French guy called Joel. It used to be vegetarian and the last two times I've been, he's been happy to do all vegan stuff. I heard lately that meat has crept into the menu; I suppose it depends on who he has doing the cooking.

Still, he's there and I have to say, his vegan cooking was superb.

There's also a little café next to the supermarket on Inishmore where they at least have heard the term 'vegan' and can do non-dairy coffees etc, maybe even a sandwich or two. It's over a year since I was on Inishmore, so things may a progressed a little. I'm going over for a day in the next couple of weeks, I'll let you know if I find anything.

I've not been to Inishmaan yet but it seems it's the least 'touristy'.

A dinner I really enjoyed recently. A kind of Indian north african mix, chickpea curry on a naan. There were apricots on it which were unreal.

1NNWPgol.jpg

Shameful lunch today, got some vegan pastries from a local place to bring to my friend recovering from surgery.

A cheesy pizza roll (kinda tasted like baba ghanoush), coffee cinnamon swirl and two citron crack buns (soft brioch with a crisp shell and citron creme patisserie filling). Amazing.

B41GfROl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm droooooling.

Chick pea curry on a naan, wow, just my sort of meal.

Must make some chick pea curry right now!

I had very few chick peas in the freezer but made it a 3-bean curry, finding some brown broad beans (smaller and chewier than green) and some blackeye beans.

It’s my habit to pressure cook large amounts of beans in one go, use what I need and freeze the rest, so there’s often a variety of peas and beans to hand.

Anyway, the curry turned out nice and chunky - based on the Hapoy Peear 5-minute curry but using fresh tomatoes - and I served it with some amazing “pink fir apple” potatoes my partner just dug up. They’re halfway between waxy and floury, a beautiful taste, look a bit weird.

See attached.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

They look a bit like Jerusalem artichoke/topinambour. :)

New Home wrote: »
    They look a bit like Jerusalem artichoke/topinambour. :)

Yes, they do. Defo spuds though, kinda creamy without being waxy. Lovely without salt!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

A dinner I really enjoyed recently. A kind of Indian north african mix, chickpea curry on a naan. There were apricots on it which were unreal.

Did you buy that somewhere or is it your own recipe?

Just bought it at a market in London I'm afraid, although there are loads of good chickpea curries! Was key to add so many spices in it and on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Aubergine tomato and fenugreek curry with raita and mini roast potatoes

So good!

27xmikk.jpg

Did you make that, anewme? Looks brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Did you make that, anewme? Looks brilliant.

All made from scratch, even ground the spices. Was gorgeous.

• Advertisement

Just bought a big bag of Swiss chard, so used in a random stew with butterbeans, sweet potatoes, red pepper, soup mix, tomatoes, topped with crushed nuts and grated hard cheese.

Spiked with cumin and hot sauce, super tasty.
    Not the best photo!

20181023-195526.jpg

igCorcaigh wrote: »

I was interested in how you posted an image rather than a link. What's the website, igCorcaigh please?

BTW, I did an almost identical stew the night before last, with spinach as well as chard (but no cheese). Really tasty, fresh chillies in it.

I was interested in how you posted an image rather than a link. What's the website, igCorcaigh please?

BTW, I did an almost identical stew the night before last, with spinach as well as chard (but no cheese). Really tasty, fresh chillies in it.

This is the site I used:

https://postimages.org

It generates an image (hotlink for forums) that also links to the site, but I just removed the surrounding url tags to just leave the img tag. Hope that makes sense...

Swiss chard makes a nice change from spinach for me; locally grown and organic, beautifully coloured too.

Last evening

Jar of sauce, can of jackfruit, some frozen peas

Mix in with wholewheat pasta, add some steamed veggies

A hearty organic, low-salt, low-oil meal (served with a bottle of beer in case it was too healthy).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

Last evening

Jar of sauce, can of jackfruit, some frozen peas

Mix in with wholewheat pasta, add some steamed veggies

A hearty organic, low-salt, low-oil meal (served with a bottle of beer in case it was too healthy).

Yum!

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Double Beyond Burger in London, unreal. A meaty vegan burger. Had vegan gouda, chipotle mayo, pickles etc. Served with rosemary chips.

QN8HI6hl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

Double Beyond Burger in London, unreal. A meaty vegan burger. Had vegan gouda, chipotle mayo, pickles etc. Served with rosemary chips.

QN8HI6hl.jpg

looks amazing! how was the cheese?!

It was pretty nice, well melted. The burgers themselves were definitely the star of the show though! 40g of protein from them, bam. Looking forward to them being here but they will be super expensive in Tesco. I'm guessing like €7 for two burgers in Tesco. The No Bull Burgers are excellent and only €2.50 for two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

My mother is vegan 6 months and is getting dark circles under eyes. What is she not consuming enough of?
    Also since she is over 70 years young, she doesn't have a huge appetite; what foods should she really consider eating more to get daily nutrients?
    Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

auspicious wrote: »
    My mother is vegan 6 months and is getting dark circles under eyes. What is she not consuming enough of?
    Also since she is over 70 years young, she doesn't have a huge appetite; what foods should she really consider eating more to get daily nutrients?
    Thanks in advance.

Hi auspicious. Is she taking Vitamin B12 supplements? Also, I'd recommend Vitamin D supplements. Eat plenty of fruit, legumes, nuts, seeds (also ground flax/chia for omega3 else take a dha+epa omega3 supplement), green leafy veg, calcium-fortified non-dairy milk e.g. soy, etc.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement