Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scooter riders: Stay out of gutter!

• 15-10-2008 7:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, bit of a weird title. And I'm not realy as experienced as many bikers here but maybe this might be helpful
    A lot of scooter riders visit this forum going by the threads here.

If there's one thing I cringe seeing is scooters riding on the very extreme left of the road. Almost taking up a cyclists position. Any many drivers, especially taxi drivers squeeze past them in that lane, almost brushing them :eek:
    If you don't drive confidently and take up your road position don't be suprised when other drivers start disrepecting you. Of course, this is no gurantee that drivers won't attempt to overtake you in your lane anyway but defensive driving ftw

If you do this, then get a bit of confidence in yourself and start driving defensivly! If the speed limit is 60km/hr on your road and your 50cc is just capable of this then drive on and take up your lane. Do not drive in the gutter, as you'll get less respect, drivers will brush past you and sure you might even hit a drain or something.
    Of course stay out of the overtaking lane if there is one, no need to hold up everyone but take up your lane.

Starting out of bikes can be scary, even if you've years of car driving experience. I know I found it hard and I didn't filter until after a few weeks.

Dunno, if you know the Chapelizod bypass in Dublin, you may well see this everyday.
    Hope you found this helpful :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭Alkers

Most 50cc should manage well in excess of 60km/h so no need to be leaving room to pass you when you're traveling at or above the speed limit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I can just about make 60 on the flat, so long as there is not a head wind as well. I'd be riding about a third'ish of the way across the lane or just about where the cars left wheel would be but I have noticed a lot of other people on 50cc's that seem to ride way over to the left. I specifically move further over to the right though on the slightly narrower sections of road so that the cars have to actually go around me even more using the other lane and don't get tempted to try driving straight through me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭Alkers

I ride mostly to the RHS of the center line. If you ride on the left, near the kerb, you've nowhere to go in an emergency.
    e.g. http://www.motorcycle-training.f2s.com/position.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Most 50cc should manage well in excess of 60km/h so no need to be leaving room to pass you when you're traveling at or above the speed limit.

Then they aren't mopeds and can't be driven on a car licence issued before 21 Oct '06 or an M permit/licence. People would need to have an A1 licence and technically your unisured if driving on a moped licence at >50km/h.

But yeah stay outta the gutter, not just for cars passing but because all the crap on the road gets washed/pushed in there and god knows what you could hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Del2005 wrote: »
    Then they aren't mopeds and can't be driven on a car licence issued before 21 Oct '06 or an M permit/licence. People would need to have an A1 licence and technically your unisured if driving on a moped licence at >50km/h.

But yeah stay outta the gutter, not just for cars passing but because all the crap on the road gets washed/pushed in there and god knows what you could hit.

nearly all scooters/mopeds will do 60-70 k/m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

strongr wrote: »

yup,mine does anyway. Oh,and hi! :) yeah, i know what you mean. If the speed limit is over what i'm doin,i'll let people pass easily,but riding in the ditch,no sir. What annoys me is when i'm doing 60,and the limit is 60,jerks overtaking me,and speeding off. Everyday on my road. They're speeding!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

strongr wrote: »

There's a difference between a scooter and a moped.
    Category M Mopeds with a maximum design speed of 45km/h or less with an engine capacity of 50cc or less.

http://www.rotr.ie/your-licence-and-vehicle/driving-licences-and-vehicle-categories/vehicle-categories-age-requirements.html

If your driving on a B licence issued before Oct '06 or on a M you can't do more the 45km/h and to go over that you need an A(1) licence.

A scooter is a step through motorbike with no restrictions

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's when your going along at the speed limit as is all the other traffic infront of you and your just following along, but becasue your on a mere 50cc the cars behind have to overtake you. Due to you being infront of them is some kind of insult to their manhood I presume.

Advertisement