Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE TRUTH ABOUT SODIUM FLUORIDE IN DRINKING WATER

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Merged. Cheers for the links - that saved me looking :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

The average cost to flouridate the water (according to wikipedia and in $) is 93c per person per year so it's about €4 million..not a huge amount of savings...

It prevents tooth decay and when introduced, resulted in a 50%-60% drop in cavities among children. It was introduced to reduce tooth decay and prevent chronic diseases. Of course since this is the Conspiracy Theory forum, the government have to have some sort of malicious ulterior motive, so I guess you could say it's that a healthy population, is a happy population which will continue to work, be out of work less and increase tax revenues and all that..

As I said, this is the CT forum so my opinion will be discarded because I don't go along with the whole "The government want to control us" mindset

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Sofa_King Good

From personal experience I have been in a non-fluoridated country for the last 6 weeks or so and I can honestly say my head has never been clearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭themetallifan

From personal experience I have been in a non-fluoridated country for the last 6 weeks or so and I can honestly say my head has never been clearer.

Nothing to do, of course, with any of the other variables that have changed now that you're in a different country.

Nothing to do, of course, with any of the other variables that have changed now that you're in a different country.
    Such as?

• Advertisement

feoil wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k1RzFsvn7E

You may find this of interest

Em.....that video is just so full of crap I don't know where to start. Maybe check my previous posts to start....

The most incorrect thing is that he gives out about Sodium fluoride....it's hexafluorosillic acid added...not Sodium Fluoride. And that's one of many incorrect statements in that video.

And dont get me started on aspartame.....

These people seem to have a lack of fundamental scientific knowledge....

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭philiy

Hexafluorosilicic acid releases hydrogen fluoride when evaporated, so it has similar risks as hydrogen flouride. It is corrosive and may cause fluoride poisoning; inhalation of the vapors may cause lung edema. Like hydrogen fluoride, it attacks glass and stoneware. Anyone notice their glasswear and crokery getting scuffed and faded from being washed so many times? Is it really from hard water?

This does not make it any better that Hexafluorosilicic acid is put into our drinking water.

Does anyone know where it is purchased? Im curious. What company is making €4 million a year from the Irish goverment to supply this stuff?

Can anyone honestly say they would rather have this stuff in our drinking water then not have?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Such as?

I'm no scientist but;

Food additives
    Water quality
    Air quality
    Weather
    General living
    More excercise?
    Amount of food eaten
    Alcohol consumed
    There are hundreds of variables that would change other than you drinking non fluoridated water.

Such as?

Well, firstly, the many impacts that moving ot a new place/change would have on your mood.
    Also, don't forget new food, different quality air, different weather, different people, possibly a new job, new friends, change of routine....the list goes on. All these could put you in a better or worse/mood depending. To say it's caused by HFA is a bit presumptuous.
    crokery getting scuffed and faded from being washed so many times? Is it really from hard water?

Yes. Yes it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭philiy

Still wondering if anyone knows where the flouride is purchased?

There has to be someone making money from it.

Is it possible that there is someone in the Dail that has a share or some sort of interest in the company that supplies the government with its flouride?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

As far as I know it's a Finnish company that supplies the compounds. Can't remember why I think that. I heard it somewhere, so I'll see if I can find any info on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

humanji wrote: »
    As far as I know it's a Finnish company that supplies the compounds. Can't remember why I think that. I heard it somewhere, so I'll see if I can find any info on it.

Sure you never know there might be a Jew sorry I mean a Zionist with one share in the company, now that would prove the conspiracy. :rolleyes:

Well, firstly, the many impacts that moving ot a new place/change would have on your mood.
    Also, don't forget new food, different quality air, different weather, different people, possibly a new job, new friends, change of routine....the list goes on. All these could put you in a better or worse/mood depending. To say it's caused by HFA is a bit presumptuous.

In fairness I could have moved to Chernobyl and be iving off Big Macs for all you know.

meglome wrote: »
    Sure you never know there might be a Jew sorry I mean a Zionist with one share in the company, now that would prove the conspiracy. :rolleyes:

You know what flame bating is? Rhetorical btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

meglome wrote: »

<Video removed>

Ah it never gets old.

Kernel infracted for unhelpful and off topic posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

6th wrote: »
    Kernel infracted for unhelpful and off topic posting.

In my country there is problem,
    and that problem is sodium flouride,
    it's in the water that we drink,
    it makes my brain start to stink,
    throw sodium flouride down the well,
    so my country can be free,
    we will drink chemical free water,
    and we have a big part-eeeey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Kernel wrote: »
    In my country there is problem,
    and that problem is sodium flouride,
    it's in the water that we drink,
    it makes my brain start to stink,
    throw sodium flouride down the well,
    so my country can be free,
    we will drink chemical free water,
    and we have a big part-eeeey.

Thought it was supposed to be out of the drinking water! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Quick post. I spent some time in the US and felt myself becoming dulled intellectually, and gradually smarter on return. I have friends in the US and am not anti-American at all. Just wondering if some chemical was actually the culprit.

Interesting thread.

In fairness I could have moved to Chernobyl and be iving off Big Macs for all you know.

True...although my point is, you can't say that's it lack of water fluoridation that's making your mind 'clearer.'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

First of all I want to deal with the issue of Flouride affecting intelligence. Sinve the start of the Industrial revolution, life expectancey and intelligence have both risen dramatically. These rises have been taken into account every so often by a panel of acedemics who review standard aptitute tests and reset the mean score to 100 when its found to have deviated significantly. Despite the introduction of flouride to the water, IQ's are still rising. This begs the question, if flouride is being put in the water with the intention of dumbing down populations, how come intelligence isn't falling? Could it be that they have nothing to do with each other??! On the other hand peer reviewed evidence suggests that flouride is good for dental health. http://www.dentalhealth.ie/information/text_index.tmpl?secid=20020822160750&subid=20020828150540

Its not the only substance that is fortified for the general benefit of populations, Table Salt has iodine added and there was plans to add folic acid to flour. Both positive public health measures especially the latter which would reduce the incidence of spina bifida.

Flouride has been put in irish water for over 40 years, no negative effects have been positively linked with it. Thats the truth about flouride in drinking water.

have you got the truth on the positive effects of fluoride in drinking water?

The Department of Health and Human Services in the United States carried out a comprehensive review of the benefits and potential health risks of fluoride and concluded that the practice of fluoridating community water supplies is safe and effective. The review found that there is no credible evidence linking the fluoridation of water at one part per million with cancer, kidney disease, immune defects, reproductive problems, genotoxicity, stomach ailments and bone fractures.

The World Health Organisation, The Centres for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, USA, The Royal College of Physicians London, The Royal College of Physicians of Ireland, and many other authoritative bodies support these findings.

I think I can trust the judgement of the royal college of physicians (incidentially I can also trust the other organisations however there seems to be a major anti-american stance on this particular forum). I can also see no harm has come to Ireland where flouride has been added to water for the last 40 years.

yeah but the positve effects?

Why yes I can. http://thecommunityguide.org/oral/oral-ajpm-ev-rev.pdf
    http://www.nature.com/bdj/journal/v192/n9/pdf/4801410a.pdf

The latter suggests that Fluoridated water reduces the incidence of dental caries by 2.24 teeth (mean). Please see this excellent wiki article with over 80 citations http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_fluoridation

so why the divided expert opinion?

so why the divided expert opinion?

Its not divided, Almost all major public health and dental organizations support water fluoridation, or consider it safe. http://anzhealthpolicy.com/content/4/1/25

The only issue I can see here is that of the individual choice versus the common good. Water fluoridation has no significant negative health effects... therefore the argument it is dangerous/harmful is a non-issue. The supreme court has also stated thar it doesn't impinge on personal freedom and therefore constitutional. http://www.bailii.org/ie/cases/IESC/1965/1.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 all is violent

This is a hilariously retarded thread. I'm so sorry, me, a conspiracy theory hater clicking into a conspiracy theory forum, a bit stupid......wait........ IT'S THE WATER! The damn water dumbing me down! Because there's nothing else we consume that have traces of dangerous compounds in it......oh wait

Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I contacted the green party about this as they had proposed in 2007 to get rid of water fluoridation as it has no proven benefits, in fact its bad for our health.

Link to Green part proposal
    http://www.greenparty.ie/en/news/latest_news/greens_in_govt_would_stop_water_fluoridation

This was an email I recieved from Paul Gogarty TD,
    Dear Seán,

Thanks for your e-mail. Now that I know that you are a constituent of mine I am in a position to respond, which I was not able to do otherwise, not being the national spokesperson on this area.

The issue of stopping water fluoridation is Green Party policy, but abolishing it is not in the Programme for Government because Fianna Fáil opposed it during negotiations.

A policy commitment in a manifesto outlines what policies a party will implement in Government as the Government, the assumed provisio being that all of its policies only have a chance of being fully implemented if the party has an overall majority. This is the standard way political parties launch manifestos as it is not practical to outline your negotiation strategy and what you think you can get beforehand based on different seat number scenarios.

So no majority, no near-certainty. Otherwise you have to negotiate, and given that FF was the only option (FG were contacted but refused to open discussions with Sinn Fein so the process got scuppered early on) we negotiated the Agreed Programme for Government. We got some policy wins but there were other areas we didn't get evidently.

Overall, with 6 TDs to FF's 77, we managed to secure two ministerial areas and some major policy agreements. Within our ministries in particular we have good levels of autonomy however cabinet would not pass a fluoridation ban as it stands.

This is not to say that Minister Gormley isn't committed to stopping water fluoridation. However the political reality is that with our current numbers, we do not have the necessary influence given FF's strong opposition on this matter. That said, John has made movement on areas FF opposes, so you will find that Green influence is strengthening rather than weakening given the reduced parliamentary majority. This may present an opportunity to make progress, but we are not in Government alone and therefore cannot promise with even minimum certainty.

Trusting this clarifies the political reality. All of the other political parties remain pro-fluoridation, so the only way in the medium term is for the Green Party to be returned after the next General Election with a stronger mandate. The local elections are a separate issue, but I believe you will find no more dedicated worker than Cllr Dorothy Corrigan.

Best wishes,

Paul Gogarty

• Advertisement

Fair play for chasing it up. Thats what people should do rather than argueing online.

Advertisement