Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nokia officially dead!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

jimmynokia wrote: »
    100% No. You will be very suprised.:D

Anything yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I'm guessing this is the announcement today?

"Nokia wants other companies to pay for its iconic brand"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

All will be revealed tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

jimmynokia wrote: »
    All will be revealed tomorrow.

That's what you said yesterday.

SeaDaily wrote: »
    That's what you said yesterday.
    Got my dates mixed up Sh1t happens..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Any chance it's a smart watch, or is that included in the list of things they can't make for a couple of years?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ukoda wrote: »
    it was always microsofts intention to kill the nokia brand and now they are just Windows branded, no change to anything else other than the brand
    I'm thinking it'll just brand nokia phones as Windows phones. As per the below
    Allyall wrote: »
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/nokia-november-18-announcement-slush-2014/
    Nokia sold its Devices division to Microsoft earlier this year, and along with it, the right to use its name on mobile hardware, whether smart or dumb, until late 2016.
    all Nokia phones get turned into Windows phones over a gradual phase, and then Windows phones will be owned by Microsoft. Then in late 2016, Nokia makes a comeback.

I'm wondering if the box will an Android or Linux machine? They could probably link their existing knowledge of telecommunications and experience of a Debian system, to produce a video conferencing tool of some sort?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I remember Nokia had something to do with wellington boots?

Are they the only ones still legally allowed to use the name, or did Microsoft allow a tech company to use it?

Allyall wrote: »
    Are they the only ones still legally allowed to use the name, or did Microsoft allow a tech company to use it?
    They can't use it in connection with phones until late 2016. Pretty sure they can use it for other items?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Does this mean my 'Vodka: Connecting People' t-shirt is now obsolete?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

An Android Tablet

Pity, I always loved Nokia and that convinced me to move to Windows Phone. Now that I'm settled on WP, Nokia feic off to the other side!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Meh

64-bit Intel® quad-core processor
    So, it'll probably have more than 4GB's of RAM. Price will be the main sink or swim pointer, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The 920 was a great phone, it was like the good old days of phones you could use to hammer a nail in.

I "upgraded" to the 930 and it's a ball of shyte. I'm on my second one of them and it's also broke and going back.

I'm surprised Microsoft didn't want to keep the Nokia name, I'd rather buy a Nokia than a Microsoft phone. I was very pleased to go back to Nokia when they got the Windows OS. But after that 930 I think I'll be looking at HTC again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,375 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I think getting into bed with Foxconn was the right idea. Whether you like Apple or not, you have to admit they make gorgeous hardware and it's no shame to copy it. While some will be happy with vanilla Android, I think an opportunity was lost here. Would love to have seen them talk to Jolla about getting Sailfish on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

ScumLord wrote: »
    The 920 was a great phone, it was like the good old days of phones you could use to hammer a nail in.

I "upgraded" to the 930 and it's a ball of shyte. I'm on my second one of them and it's also broke and going back.

I'm surprised Microsoft didn't want to keep the Nokia name, I'd rather buy a Nokia than a Microsoft phone. I was very pleased to go back to Nokia when they got the Windows OS. But after that 930 I think I'll be looking at HTC again.

Nokia Name with Dragontrail Glass could have cemented Nokia's status as "indestructible". Using sailfish bloatware/adware free OS could have been the dealbreaker (It would have for been for me).

Microsoft Windows Phone, is less impressive, but it doesn't even make me think any of the above, It's a different direction entirely, than where I would have liked to see/expected to see Nokia go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

not dead they are brining out tablets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

braddun wrote: »
    not dead they are brining out tablets

Not much effort went into it on Nokia's part, they pretty much asked their buddies over in China, "Hey lads come up with an ould tablet for us there, throw Android on it, alright? Now here's the important part: we want the letters 'N' 'O' 'K' 'I' 'A' printed on it somewhere. Doesn't matter where"

And who makes apples ipad ??

• Advertisement
Advertisement