Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interesting article 2012

• 11-03-2014 1:13pm
    Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭

Interesting article . It is dated 2012 but even so just gives you some idea of the competition for public service jobs................

BREDA HEFFERNAN – UPDATED 26 NOVEMBER 2012 03:19 AM

ALMOST 3,750 aspiring police officers applied to join the Garda Reserve last year but just 271 -- approximately in every 14 -- made the grade.

Indeed, the search for a permanent and pensionable job in a time of rising unemployment has seen around 14 job seekers apply for every public service appointment.

In its annual report for 2007, the Commission for Public Service Appointments, the body responsible for monitoring most appointments to the civil service, An Garda Siochana and the Health Services Executive (HSE), found there were 107,415 applicants for just 7,441 posts.

The civil service received the bulk of the interest, with 71,747 job seekers vying for 3,107 posts, while the HSE saw just under 29,000 applicants competing for 2,679 jobs.

The commission also oversaw internal recruitment for 1,810 jobs.

Some 273 gardai were promoted to the rank of sergeant last year, while 90 rose to the position of inspector. The civil service and HSE together filled 1,447 jobs from among their existing workforce.

Last year also saw a sharp rise in the number of complaints being referred to the commission by disgruntled job applicants. It received 20 formal complaints, up from just five in 2006.

Grievances included claims of discrimination on the grounds of age, while one woman complained she missed out on a job because she was pregnant.

Another worker complained they were unfairly treated because the interview panel had based its decision on a biased and untrue assessment report from their supervisor.

Other gripes ranged from employers changing selection criteria after the closing date for applications, to inappropriate people sitting on interview boards. One complainant claimed that the board used restrictive job requirements that were not necessary for the post.

Of the complaints received, the Commission delivered a decision in 12 of them, while another seven will be finalised this year. It ruled it was not the appropriate forum to decide in the remaining complaint.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Those were the days only 3,750 applying......

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

carzony wrote: »
    Those were the days only 3,750 applying......

And that was only the reserve

It's only a matter of time before people stop applying for the reserves. Simply because of the waiting times.. It's put me and a good few people I know off applying for them..

What's the next recruitment, 2015 was it? sure if you applied today you'd be waiting till 2017 probably.

It's only a matter of time before people stop applying for the reserves. Simply because of the waiting times.. It's put me and a good few people I know off applying for them..

What's the next recruitment, 2015 was it? sure if you applied today you'd be waiting till 2017 probably.

The waiting time varies from 6 months to 4 years but best to start the process if you have a real interest

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

well then your obviously not that interested and the reserve is better off without you

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Scouser wrote: »
    well then your obviously not that interested and the reserve is better off without you
    There should be plenty vacancies soon as those who thought they had a handy way into the full time service don't make it through the recruitment process and realise that they were taken for a ride by the authorities.

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    There should be plenty vacancies soon as those who thought they had a handy way into the full time service don't make it through the recruitment process and realise that they were taken for a ride by the authorities.

Heard it all before negative negative negative . Change the record

Raider190 wrote: »
    Heard it all before negative negative negative . Change the record

hes very much correct this time raider!

hes very much correct this time raider!

Not like you at all to be a negative. You have to keep positive

It was a long haul for most of us at the start but if you are really passionate about the reserve you will stick at it.

• Advertisement

It was a long haul for most of us at the start but if you are really passionate about the reserve you will stick at it.

i find myself agreeing with you fully....................strange feeling..............

i find myself agreeing with you fully....................strange feeling..............

Take two pills it will pass soon

Perhaps it just not for you. Lots of other things that are easier to get into. It's tough and some are just not up to it. Understand if you have had a set back but if you can't deal with failure it will be a tough life

waiting times like that are a joke.. simple as that. and if people are able to stand still and wait years to join then i feel sorry for them.. they've obviousally nothing better to do with their lives..

l'll give you one thing SC your always there to stick the knife in :D:D

waiting times like that are a joke.. simple as that. and if people are able to stand still and wait years to join then i feel sorry for them.. they've obviousally nothing better to do with their lives..

The secret is to get on with life and am sure a lost of applicants realise this.

l'll give you one thing SC your always there to stick the knife in :D:D

What else has he contributed but negative comments. Has a serious gripe with the reserve .wonder why so negative . Perhaps it's a transference thing

What else has he contributed but negative comments. Has a serious gripe with the reserve .wonder why so negative . Perhaps it's a transference thing

No gripe with all Reserves. Just those who act as if they have 30 years service and are at least the rank of Chief Superintendent.

No gripe with all Reserves. Just those who act as if they have 30 years service and are at least the rank of Chief Superintendent.

But what would you know about service you don't do any. Some have more experience and that's a fact of life but it's kinda ironic that you have so much to comment on the Garda reserve but have no experience at all , at all. So why comment so negative all the time. Why do it.

But what would you know about service you don't do any. Some have more experience and that's a fact of life but it's kinda ironic that you have so much to comment on the Garda reserve but have no experience at all , at all. So why comment so negative all the time. Why do it.

maybe he's jealous of all of your accomplishemnts raider?

• Advertisement

Spot on. Very perceptive. Certainly detective material. Maybe you could become a profiler?
    I do feel rather inadequate in comparison with Raiders knowledge and achievements. I'm sure Shatter will be giving him a call when Callinan decides to retire on "health grounds"

No not that ,obviously an intelligent poster but when it comes to the reserve there seems to be a lot of hostility. Anyway it's not our problem. Moving on .

As we are moving to full capacity in the reserve it may mean that with internal promotions we will finally get a new superintendent to lead us into the next evolution .

As we are moving to full capacity in the reserve it may mean that with internal promotions we will finally get a new superintendent to lead us into the next evolution .

maybe you should go for the job raider? I'm sure you'll fit right in!

maybe you should go for the job raider? I'm sure you'll fit right in!

Trying to start another argument . Why do that . Is it frustration or just bitterness. Whatever it is I will ignore your comments.

Trying to start another argument . Why do that . Is it frustration or just bitterness. Whatever it is I will ignore your comments.

T'was All in good fun:D:D

T'was All in good fun:D:D

Cool will accept that . Chill pill for me

Advertisement