Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GAA Betting Thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭paddymayoman

KevIRL wrote: »
    shawnee wrote: »
    Handicap betting is designed by Bookmakers and is only used by Mugs;) Pick your team and back them to win !

Not quite but doing accums of handicaps is bonkers and just handing over money to the bookies. Far too many variables in a 3 or 4 team handicap accum to make the price worth it.
    Its far easier watching a match and handicap betting in play but with the way fixtures have worked out so far,most of the games have been 3 30 or 4 throw in, with the kerry tipp match being an exception.
    Id say anyone who had leinster to win couldnt have seen them losing a 9 point lead with 10 minutes left or limerick losing a 7 point lead and to then lose by 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

shawnee wrote: »
    Handicap betting is designed by Bookmakers and is only used by Mugs;) Pick your team and back them to win !

Sure. So did you back Kerry at 1/66 on Sunday? Will you back Galway hurlers at 1/40 next Sunday? In those kind of games handicap betting is the only option if you want to have a bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Some gold in this thread so far, I can see it's going to be a profitable summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭paddymayoman

keane2097 wrote: »
    Some gold in this thread so far, I can see it's going to be a profitable summer.
    Watch out lads we have a comedian over here

Watch out lads we have a comedian over here

I'm sure they could have spotted that on their own, it's not like the thread is full of morons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

Don't know if this is the most recent thread, but Monaghan to win tomorrow v Cavan at 8/13 is great value. Having a lump on this and bit on -2 points at 6/5. Also sticking a €5 longshot on Monaghan to win by 16points or more at 33/1.

Monaghan had a good win over Meath last weekend and according to a mate from Cavan they are not in great shape, and won't be able to live with the Monaghan forwards. With this i agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Don't know if this is the most recent thread, but Monaghan to win tomorrow v Cavan at 8/13 is great value. Having a lump on this and bit on -2 points at 6/5. Also sticking a €5 longshot on Monaghan to win by 16points or more at 33/1.

Monaghan had a good win over Meath last weekend and according to a mate from Cavan they are not in great shape, and won't be able to live with the Monaghan forwards. With this i agree.

Monaghan will probably win so safe enough bet based on form etc - but a 16points win - not a chance in my opinion.

1. Its a local derby, Cavan won't role over - Cavan haven't actually been that far off this year - its just having the confidence to go on and win is missing.

2. Meath were terrible - even Cavan won't play that bad and to be fair Meath won't either.

3. Cavan play a blanket Donegal/Tyrone kind of game - there problem is not having enough scoring power rather than being poor defensively.

In saying that would back Monaghan but can't see them winning by more than 3 or 4 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Niallers87

How do ye fancy Kildare at 21/10 to beat cork in cork tomorrow, Kildare looked pretty impressive at times against donegal last week whilst cork didnt look too interested against dublin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Niallers87 wrote: »
    How do ye fancy Kildare at 21/10 to beat cork in cork tomorrow, Kildare looked pretty impressive at times against donegal last week whilst cork didnt look too interested against dublin

There's a reason they are 21/10....they are playing Cork in Cork - after Cork lost their first match. I cannot see anything other than a Cork win to be honest.
    Having won the last few league titles I expect we will be turned over a few times away from home this year. Thought we could nick it against dublin last week but were not at the races at all.
    There might be value laying Cork away from home this year - but I don't think Kildare will get near Cork this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

Cookstown at 6/4 are great value against Finuge in the All Ireland Club Intermediate football final later this evening in Croke Park. Kerry club teams have a poor enough record against Tyrone teams just like their county team and I think once again the Tyrone team here will have too much for the North Kerry side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

Treble20 wrote: »
    Cookstown at 6/4 are great value against Finuge in the All Ireland Club Intermediate football final later this evening in Croke Park. Kerry club teams have a poor enough record against Tyrone teams just like their county team and I think once again the Tyrone team here will have too much for the North Kerry side.

Cookstown beat Spa when they won the All Ireland Club Intermediate football final last time out. Spa and Finuge would be very very different types of teams from Kerry.

Spa's success in getting to the final was built on a decent attack and would be more of a standard Kerry football team.

Finuge are a very different outfit with their success built on an outstanding defensive unit and would be far better equipped for a game against Cookstown. They are very much an atypical Kerry club side - they rarely if ever put up big scores but they seldom allow a side put up a decent score.

Using the reasoning of Finuge being a Kerry team and Kerry teams poor record against Tyrone teams is a very poor reason for tipping Cookstown.

I expect a low scoring dour affair between two pretty defensive sides. I definitely don't think that Cookstown at 6/4 represents value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

St. Thomas' at slight odds against of 11/10 aren't a bad bet for today's semi' v Loughgiel. Yes, they're giving away ground in terms of experience and a tighter, heavier Parnell park pitch mightn't be ideal for them; on the other hand, lack of experience isn't necessarily a deficit in a younger team, Thomas' came through last year's county semis and final in equally bad conditions and, unlike last year's Galway representatives Gort, they have their better players in attack. Not a bad bet at all.

I like that price fwiw.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I like that price fwiw.

Actually having looked a bit closer that game is a no bet for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Kildare looked bit off it at times in their opening game will need ensure dont go asleep against side of corks quality.

Monaghan does look great bet, meath might been crap but their still higher standard than cavan.

Kildare are on a bit of a role!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

What a disaster:mad:. Not a good day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Thought Monaghan looked a decent bet earlier but didn't go for it in the end. Good result for Cavan. 5 men sent off in one game is a bit of a joke though

big result for waterford too, i didnt think they would beat tipperary

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Yeah, they'll have to be happy with that. Could be a tighter run in than I first thought

• Advertisement

Great win for Waterford, delighted for them.

Have some picks for tomorrow here, like Longford and Limerick at the prices, think Mayo will be too good for Tyrone as well:

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/the-proper-punter/the-proper-punter-national-league-round-2/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Shocking performance from Cork - a wake up call if ever it was needed, just not good enough. Way too many poor performances and the sideline decisions were baffling.

Good win for Kildare, might look at backing them in their next game, home v Kerry while Down at home to Cork should be a home win double for that weekend - albeit a few weeks away yet.

big result for waterford too, i didnt think they would beat tipperary

Neither did I , had Tip and Fermanagh double.

If I reversed my GAA bets for tonight I would have made a pretty penny:rolleyes:

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    There's a reason they are 21/10....they are playing Cork in Cork - after Cork lost their first match. I cannot see anything other than a Cork win to be honest.
    Having won the last few league titles I expect we will be turned over a few times away from home this year. Thought we could nick it against dublin last week but were not at the races at all.
    There might be value laying Cork away from home this year - but I don't think Kildare will get near Cork this weekend.

im guessin your from cork then?

im guessin your from cork then?

Very well spotted;)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

68Murph68 wrote: »
    Cookstown beat Spa when they won the All Ireland Club Intermediate football final last time out. Spa and Finuge would be very very different types of teams from Kerry.

Spa's success in getting to the final was built on a decent attack and would be more of a standard Kerry football team.

Finuge are a very different outfit with their success built on an outstanding defensive unit and would be far better equipped for a game against Cookstown. They are very much an atypical Kerry club side - they rarely if ever put up big scores but they seldom allow a side put up a decent score.

Using the reasoning of Finuge being a Kerry team and Kerry teams poor record against Tyrone teams is a very poor reason for tipping Cookstown.

I expect a low scoring dour affair between two pretty defensive sides. I definitely don't think that Cookstown at 6/4 represents value.
    Well the Tyrone jinx struck a Kerry club again tonight! Cookstown winning made me a nice profitable day and a few of my buddies are quite happy tonight with my advice!

I've seen Finuge in action and to be honest IMO they were very lucky to get this far,they rode their luck big time and were poxed to get a draw against Spa in the Kerry final the 1st day and met mediocre opposition in the Munster championship and in Monasterevin in the All Ireland semi. Indeed if Cookstown had their shooting boots on they would have won far more handsomely!

Indeed the night ended in shame for the Finuge club having 2 players sent off and from what I heard Paul Galvin was a very lucky lad to stay on the field of play in the 1st half after a very high dangerous tackle on a Cookstown player.

me and fellow boardsie have put in our views on sundays gaa

suprised he opted for tryone, mayo look one of strongest wins for me. Suprised Derry are not favourites, laois one good game and their suddenly fancied.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭paul08

Derry gave as bad a display of intercounty football as ive ever witnessed in the first half versus Galway resembled a junior team

paul08 wrote: »
    Derry gave as bad a display of intercounty football as ive ever witnessed in the first half versus Galway resembled a junior team

on the flip side they put in a master class of how to play against the wind in the 2nd half.

Mayo kept kerry without a point for a whole half that impressed me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement