Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interesting abandoned engine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Think it's C202? It will be rotted away soon enough out in the open. Why buy / obtain an old loco when you have no intention of looking after it? :confused:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

It's probably rotted, horrible as it is to say. Those images are from May 2009...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

I'd say many a underage drinking session was had in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

Been in another location in south Kilkenny for a few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It's the C class loco which was in Cahirsiveen as a static exhibit for a few years.

It was bought from NIR by a local who thought it would be a doddle to restore as a tourist attraction only to find out that they had no idea what was in for them. After a long time with no love shown to her, 227 (Her real name) was well beaten up by the weather and local yobs before it was moved to a freight yard Waterford pending scrapping. At the last minute, she was purchased by a Waterford based group and moved to Bilberry for preservation, restoration and doubtlessly the usual threats of running her to and from Cork packed to the rafters with weekly enthusiast trains in under 2 hours a leg using skills and know how unbenkownst to either the RPSI or ITG. Once there, her copper innards were stripped to raise fund for Pavee Point supporters :rolleyes:

Today she sits idle and with no hope for her.

At this stage, she has no innards left bar her bogies and no electrical parts bar a few blown cables and wires. It is time that she was scrapped and let go of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

It was well stripped before it left Northern Ireland, radiators, engine etc. Needs to be put out of its misery for sure, there are 2 MV201's extant in far better condition than this one

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It was well stripped before it left Northern Ireland, radiators, engine etc. Needs to be put out of its misery for sure, there are 2 MV201's extant in far better condition than this one

I understand that the engine and generators which weren't salvaged by Irish Rail in the 201's were resold to EMD; most of the 001 class units were also sold back.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

The last 4 NIR MV's had their engines sold back to IE, complete with 4 cracked blocks, which IE didnt want given they had a block cracks problem which needed sorting......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

'Interesting' is one word for it, I have a number of more colourful descriptive terms.

I think the most interesting thing is how much interest it attracts here and on IRN. Pages and pages. More worthy locos don't get a mention!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Fratello wrote: »
    I think the most interesting thing is how much interest it attracts here and on IRN. Pages and pages. More worthy locos don't get a mention!
    If you think something is worth mentioning, then please do mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Fratello wrote: »

because it's out there rotting away perhaps, whereas most of the other locos that have been 'preserved' are being kept quietly out of the way either inside or at least covered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Think it's C202? It will be rotted away soon enough out in the open. Why buy / obtain an old loco when you have no intention of looking after it? :confused:

What kind of money were they sold for as a matter of interest?

Advertisement