Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your house was built on a cemetary - would you be worried?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

I suppose I would be worried but not alot you can do if its mortgaged :eek:. After we bought this house we were told 2 old brothers died in it back in the 70's. Where the original fireplace used to be is now a wall and the bathroom door is just opisite it so thats where the chair used to be and we were told they had died in front of the fire. Never thought anything of it untill get started getting a slight smell of stale cigarette smoke.

It would be right in front of the bathroom door, and I mean right in front of it not to the sides f it, you could walk right by and smell it then its gone once you passed the door. Friends of ours have gotten some weird feelings in the bathroom :eek: and the last time one of them was in having a shower and just as she came out she thought the saw someone walking into the room beside the bathroom, she thought it was my wife so she went in to her but there was no one in the room, she said it freaked her out big time.

So in short my house is somewhat haunted but nothing I can do about it and no harm has come to anyone living here so happy days.

I'd feel kinda bad and a little disrespectful for plonking a house on top of people's dead bodies but I don't think they'd haunt me. I'm too nice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

I'm renting a house built on land belonging to a former workhouse. The fruit bushes I planted last week are thriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Not in the slightest. In fact I was trawling through old maps of my locality and discovered that my house is built on the exact site of a 1798 rebel army camp. Pretty cool when I think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Last office I worked in was a converted house where some poor chap had killed himself a few years ago. We used it as an excuse not to work overtime. Too freaked out to stay there alone at night :rolleyes:

The house I bought is on an old convent, near the cemetary. So i'm sure there are lots of people who were buried outside the cemetary grounds (unbaptised babies, suicide victims etc). Never bothered me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

I suppose I would be worried but not alot you can do if its mortgaged :eek:. After we bought this house we were told 2 old brothers died in it back in the 70's. Where the original fireplace used to be is now a wall and the bathroom door is just opisite it so thats where the chair used to be and we were told they had died in front of the fire. Never thought anything of it untill get started getting a slight smell of stale cigarette smoke.

It would be right in front of the bathroom door, and I mean right in front of it not to the sides f it, you could walk right by and smell it then its gone once you passed the door. Friends of ours have gotten some weird feelings in the bathroom :eek: and the last time one of them was in having a shower and just as she came out she thought the saw someone walking into the room beside the bathroom, she thought it was my wife so she went in to her but there was no one in the room, she said it freaked her out big time.

So in short my house is somewhat haunted but nothing I can do about it and no harm has come to anyone living here so happy days.
    nothing to worry about,i am a sensitive and i have seen many a visitation, but i have yet to see a resident spirit[even in grave yards],spirits will drop in to visit the places they were happiest when alive,on the smell of smoke i would not expect that to have anything to do with your ghost,it is more likely something to do with years of tobacco smoke being absorbed into the walls and ceiling,when the room temp rises or sunlight hits the area,then you can smell the tobacco,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Was in the car a while back with my young nieces. It so happened that we passed a house for sale which adjoined a graveyard.

"That's a grand house," said I, "You wouldn't have to worry about noisy neighbours". "Yeah," said my 12 year old niece, "but, you know - Zombocalypse".

Head screwed on right, that girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭niamhx

I couldn't live in a house near a graveyard never mind a house built on top of one. Totally bull****e but I just wouldn't feel comfortable. Too many yrs of watching Zombie movies. Stephen king has a lot to answer for, I watched Salem's lot when I was 11, dont think I slept until I was 15. I'll still watch a horror movie before a chick flic any day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Wasnt parts of Tallaght built on a mass grave? Ive definitly seen a few zombie like creatures waiting at the bus stop going up to Glenshane.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I wouldn't be gravely worried at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Many years ago, we bought a house in the Country.

It had been a working farm from many years and we wanted to turn into a B&B.

Lots of space and room to add on a couple chalets.

We went through the usual planning permission stuff and had surveyors check out.

It was when we started to do the renovations on the older part of the farm, that strange things started to happen.

One evening every window on the farm shattered and broke at the same time.

The surveyor said it might be due to the foundations moving, but we checked it out and the foundations were fine.

Someone suggested it might have been some form of sound at a pitch Humans can’t hear but of such a frequency it could shatter glass.

After that the plumbing stated to act up, taps turning themselves on and off by themselves.

Then the night-time footsteps followed, we would be in bed, then you could hear footsteps coming up the stairs, down the landing, and STOP outside our bedroom door. Then” KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK”

We couldn’t move or speak as we were so terrified.

Then the footsteps would go to the next room (Where the Kids were) Again we would hear the” KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK” on the door.

The kids started to scream and I ran out on the landing, but there was nobody there.

I told them that as this was an old house, it would make some noises and as we were living in an isolated area, we would be more aware of sounds throughout the night.

The next day we brought the kids to my sisters to let them stay with her.
    We told them it was only until we got all the work done and that the house would be much quieter.

The next night we were in bed, we heard scratching sound at our bedroom door.

I got up and grabbed my hurly stick and approached the door slowly.

I carefully grabbed the door handled and quickly pulled open the door.

Our pet Dog was sitting there looking terrified and shivering with fright.

I picked him up and put him on the end of our bed.

A few moments later we heard the footsteps coming up the stairs again, then down the landing to our door.

Our Dog and started to growl in the direction of thedoor……………………………….” KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK”

The Dog ran towards the door and started barking, she wouldn’t come back when I called her so I got up and went towards the door and slowly opened it.

Our Dog ran out and down the stairs to the Kitchen, then down to the basement.

I could hear her barking like mad and I followed her down to the basement.

She was staring at a spot on the floor barking and scratching the ground.

There were loose tiles there, so I prised them open with a claw hammer.

The earth under was soft and wet.

I got a shovel and started to dig.

After about ten minutes or so I hit what felt like wood.

I kept on digging when all of a sudden the part of the floor I was standing on gave way.

Down I went falling about 15 feet into what seemed like a closet of Darkness.

It was pitch black down there and all I could see was the Dog barking from above, looking down.

I called out to my wife to come and help.

She eventually came down and asked me what happened.

I quickly explained and asked her to get me a flashlight.

While she was looking for the flashlight, I felt around in the blackness of the pit which to seemed to surround and envelop me in its dark eerie grip.

I came across what seemed to be like a headstone with letters on it.

I felt along these letters to try to understand what was written there, but it was in a language I didn’t understand.

As I felt around there were more and more of these stones scattered around the place.

Finally my wife came back with a torch and threw it down to me.

Excitedly I switched it on and looked on the carvings on the stones.
    They read………………………Maadhav………….. Jadhav……….. Chaarudatt……….. Raghav.

It was only then that I realised our house had been built on an old Indian Burial Ground.

When I eventually got out of the hole we decided to leave at once.

We took whatever we could carry and got in the car.

Just as we were about leave we heard a whistling noise coming from the sky and as we were driving off, a UFO came from above the trees and crashed into the house we had just left.

We stared in disbelief at what we had seen before our eyes, but the Spacecraft was still intact.

I got out of the car to have a closer look and as I was standing there a door opened in the strange craft.

A bright light beckoned me towards the door.

As I went towards the light…………………then again……….that’s another story

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Needs moar Fresh Prince

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Apparently a couple of recently half-built "ghost" estates have allegedly been built on old cemeteries.

Does anyone here remember the 1980s horror film Poltergeist? At the end of the film - after the little girl got sucked into the TV - all the dead bodies on the cemetary the suburban Los Angeles housing estate Cuesta Verde was built on started coming up through the ground.

I wonder if that could happen here? I reckon that it could - some unscrupulous property developer building an estate of happy harmonious suburban homes over rotting corpses who will rise up to take their deadly vengeance on the unwitting denizens of the estate. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Sky King wrote: »

I live about 2 miles from there, some house I'd say, only ten years ago it was an abandoned Church of Ireland building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

If were I live had been built on a cemetery then surely even the ghosts/spirits would have left by now due to the junkies and wino's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I really could give a damn, I would live in the middle of Glasnevin cemetery if the rent was right. I have absolutely no belief in spirits, ghosts, life after death, none of that crap.

I have camped up on my own in lonely and so called spooky places and i have slept in a supposedly haunted room and i slept like a log.

Except once I had the total bejaysus frightened out of me when i awoke to a presence around my tent, I stuck my head out and my eyes adjusted and it was a big fukcen cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

A lot of houses in my area are built on the site of a workhouse, part of which was a graveyard, though there are no houses built directly over the graveyard afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Raditub

mmmh i dunno why..but yes! YES YES YES!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Yes I would be worried because your living on dead people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Goldfingers

Were the builders Staffords or Fanagans ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 anmaorbeag

Personally, I have no bone to pick with graveyards. SB

• If you really think about it;
    the Earth's some 4.5 billion years old, has proven life existence for at least 500 million years.
    By now millions of things have since died on the ground under your feet, if there was anything that continued after death, surly we'd have seen it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

It wouldn't bother me but at the same time I wouldn't trust my imagination to act rationally to late night noises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    No, it wouldn't bother me, because I don't think zombie movies are actually documentaries
    Famous last words...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AnnaThe

As one of my former, mental colleagues said to me once "The dead can't hurt you it's the living you need to be scared of" as he looked at me with those real scary eyes :eek: ....... Thankfully I changed jobs a short time later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

Only if I were installing a swimming pool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Why would I be worried? Sure we burn the remains of million year old dead things to drive to Tesco to buy a naggin. It's grand.

Advertisement