Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Becoming a Real Runner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Sorry to hear about all this N, was quite sure you'd be celebrating a sub3 on Sunday night. Hope the injury clears up asap, and the sub3 happens sooner rather than later for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Just catching up now, sorry to hear about the injury, had the same this time last year. Found dry needling great, couple of (really) painful sessions freed it up and was nearly pain free after a week or so. Oh and spent a while sitting on tennis balls after that, horrible timing though. Waterford half sounds like a plan .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

menoscemo wrote: »
    Well this was my poxy marathon. The ibuprofen seemed to have a good effect last night as I was back walking pain free but I kind of knew on the walk down to the startline that things weren't right as I had a few sharp pains in my ego at the thoughts of CL kicking my ass.

Started off Ok for the first mile but then I felt CL's presence taunting me pretty badly, especially on corners. The legs was obviously over compensating to try and get away from her, then I started getting some pains in the arse to make things worse - I should really start accepting the chicking and not being so testosterone driven. Stepped off the course at 6k as per my "face-saving" strategy and I only has 200m back to the hotel....If only it had been a 200m race, I'd have had her. I could definitely have gotten through the course today but it would have been ugly looking at CL disappear into the distance, oh so slow and I would have been hurting a lot - I've been joking on the outside about this rivalry but I've nervously been crying myself to sleep since she ran that OUTSTANDING race in Longford. That really put me in my place!

Anyway first priority will be to go down and watch CL anihilate that Marathon course then get pissed tonight. After that I need to see what CL's plans are before planning what I will do next...I reckon I can take her again in 3 or 4 years if she loses a limb in the meantime...Still I'm leaning towards not racing marathons until she has given up on them and building on the fitness and having a crack at sub 3 in Barcelona...I wonder would CL pace me if I asked nicely?!

FYP! ;)

All joking aside, you know how devastated I was for you having to pull out. Look after yourself, get back on track and we'll have that head-to-head another time soon buddy ;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

claralara wrote: »
    All joking aside, you know how devastated I was for you having to pull out. Look after yourself, get back on track and we'll have that head-to-head another time soon buddy ;):)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056766509

Tell Digs too ;)

• Advertisement

We're on recovery - no hard running until after DCM! Let's cash in on the outstanding bets before we start making new ones alright?!

(BTW training and recovering sensibly is what gives me the edge over you....;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Hey Meno,
    Hope the injury is improving? Great to meet you in Berlin, hopefully next time I meet you after a race you'll be back in the grove!

sideswipe wrote: »
    Hey Meno,
    Hope the injury is improving? Great to meet you in Berlin, hopefully next time I meet you after a race you'll be back in the grove!

Thanks, you too,
    I have been to the phsyio twice and going for a third time today. Improving a little but it varies day to day, the whole hip area is just very tight.
    I am considering going for dry needling if tonights physio doesn't produce remarkable improvement.

I have been getting out for short (2-5 mile) jogs for the last 5 days or so just to keep ticking over and not loose too much fitness but not risking anything fast or long until the condition clears up...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Hey Memo, only really catching up now. Gutted to hear about Berlin. You were well set up for a great race too, so I can imagine the disappointment. The good thing about these shorter races that I do is there's less of a build up to them, and always another just around the corner so missing one aint a big deal. Must be very very frustrating to put in so much work for one race only for it to not work out. Don't worry, you'll smash that 3 hours in the spring, I have no doubt.

So I went to the physio last Wednesday and he treated me for piriformis Syndrome. Basically he tried to loosen out the muscles and it seemed to have a good effect. I was told to go out and do some short easy runs so I did between 2-4 miles most days. I went back on the Saturday reporting that things felt much better and he reckoned that one more session on Saturday and another this week would see the injury clear up.

Sadly Saturday's physio session left me in pain again. I tried 5 miles last Sunday but it left me hobbling. By the time I went back for my 'final' session last Tuesday I was limping as badly as ever :mad:. Perplexed the Physio reckoned there had to be something else causing the discomfort and kept asking me (as he had been for ages) if I had taken a fall recently. The only fall or trip I could remember was an inoccuous one I had last May where I tripped on a Kerb had a forward roll and got up and went on (funnily enough it was around that time when i started getting the pains :rolleyes:). Anyway it turns out that my sacroiliac joint was dislodged. After contorting me in a weird way he manged to push it back in with an audible pop. He told me to get to a good Chiropractor/osteopath if that didn't work to adjust the joint further, but since Tuesday I have noticed I could suddenly bear weight on my right leg again pain free :D. So I have effectively been running for the last 5 months on a mildly dislocated leg :eek:

I caught the manflu on Wednesday and didn't run. I was desperate to test out my new leg though so went out for a few sweaty miles in a feverous state on Thursday. By Saturday I felt better and did 6 miles completely pain free and followed that up with a nice 16.5 miler @8:15/mile pace in the park this morning with Vader_mlk and Belcarra.

The injury feels fine after the run but the legs are definitely a little sorer than normal so I reckon I have lost a little conditioning. I think If I was racing another marathon I would need 3 more weeks training and a 2 week taper so DCM is out, but I will be fine for pacing the 3:45 group :D. I am gonna tip away this next week and if all is OK I might try the 10k in Clane next Sunday.

It is definitely good to be back though. I was definitely getting a bit panicked last week. :pac:

2011|No. of days Running|Miles|2012 |No. of days Running|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3|January|28/31|290.1
    February|24/28|236.9|February|27/29|283.2
    March|23/31|221.9|March|24/31|204.7
    April|22/30|176.4|April|23/30|187.8
    May|25/31|198.5|May|29/31|240
    June|24/30|180.6|June|20/30|176
    July|28/31|269.4|July|30/31|309.2
    August|23/31|244.6|August|28/31|257
    September|22/30|200|September|26/30|227
    October|26/31|187.5|October|9/14|50
    November|28/30|210.1|||
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|247/288|2225.6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Good to hear you've gotten to the crux of it. It's mad how you were able to run/train on it for so long and it was tapering that was the bridge too far. Imagine what you'll acheive with 2 good legs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Ouch...a dislocation of any degree has to be terribly painful. You are one tough cookie to have been able to function at all in that state. Fantastic that you got it sorted!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Nice one. Must feel great to finally find the cause of your problem.

Good job you did have a dislocated leg though, or I'd have been in real trouble in Longford!! :)

This week was just a week about getting back on the horse and getting ready for pacing DCM next Monday (3:45).

I have had a few bouts of pains in the arse this week so I don't think that injury is totally fixed yet. I'll definitely go and get a second opinion the week after next. To be honest I really don't want to have someone tell me not to do the pacing as I am so looking forward to it :pac: And at the same time whatever the injury is I have had it for about 4-5months and about a thousand miles so I will get through DCM no worries.

Anyways this week I ran every day and covered 51 miles mostly just easy runs though I did a good few strides on Thursday and Saturday in Preparation for the Clane 10k today.

I was using this race as a tester for pacing duties. I figured if the leg could get through a 10k race I would be fine. Thankfully I got the all clear, no pain at all during the race or after. As for the race itself I ran 40:28 though for some reason the official results show 40:15:confused:.
    The time is a little disappointing as I had an outside hope of a PB given it is so weak (39:59), but on the positive front It was a good solid effort with pretty even spilts and a high HR (95%max or 178) which shows I was working at the right intensity. I have just lost a little sharpness with the layoff is all (My Longofrd HM time equates to a 10k of about 38:40).

Anyway glad to be back on the horse and (for the most part) pain free).

Weekly total 7 days running 51 miles

October|26/31|187.5|October|16/21|101
    November|28/30|210.1|||
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|254/295|2276.4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

You're coming back from injury, you ran 51 miles last week a 40:15 10k and you are disappointed with your time! :rolleyes:
    Some people! ;):)

So last week I realised my injury woes were far from over as my painful hip came back with a vengeance. My Trainer recommended I go to get a second opinion as nothing the Magician had done had seemed to work. I delayed my appointment with Aidan Woods (Pearse St Physio) until after DCM because I really wanted to do the pacing and didn't want to be told not to.

Despite this I was in real doubt that I could do the job early last week. Even though the pain hadn't gotten worse I feared another repeat of Berlin. Luckily I had a moaning buddy in the shape of Claralara who had her own injury and illness doubts about pacing the 3:45 crew so we exchanged moany texts all week. A case of 'pacer madness' as I put it :pac:

Anyways I ran every day last week for a paltry 41 miles pre DCM. By Friday I had a bit of a revelation: I wore compression shorts (for the first time in years) and very light shoes in my run and did 7 miles pain-free. I also felt for the first time since Berlin that I was in some kind of form as I did strides which felt effortless and the HR dropped significantly for the easy parts.

So on Monday i was happy to line beside Claralara, Cork Running and Grellan on the 3:45 pacing duties. Dosed to the gills with lemsip and Ibuprofen, compression shorts and top we daren't tell any of the pacess of our various ailments (Grellan was injured too so only Corkrunning was actually fit :o).
    The gun went off and we soon got into our stride, right from the off the pace was super I didn't hardly have to look at my watch the whole way round. I just checked my time at a few of the markers and pitter-pattered away. I took the lead for the first 4 miles before dashing to water a tree in The PP much to the amusement of the group. I took the next 2 mlies to catch up to the back of the pack where I met CL as we let the lads up front dictate the pace for the next 10 miles or so. The banter was great. Highlights included getting insulted by a wave 1 stray (he was dropping back in pace) for being too far behind the lead pacers and that I was never going to make 3:45. He continued to roar at me for about a minute before he had dropped too far back for me to hear him anymore. Shouting 'oggy oggy oggy' going under the bridges and 'come on the 3:45's' to great echos and cheers was great craic as was listening to Claralara's 'leave it bleedin out' impression as we went down towards Terenure followed by myself and her teaching the pacees how to do 'the windmill'.

Around Milltown we finally caught up with Grellan and John and I took the lead for a while. CL joined me heading up into clonskeagh before horsing it up the hill like a goat at Roebuck to open a minute lead on the other pacers :pac:.
    We were about a minute up on 20 miles so we could afford a little slow down over the last 5-6 miles and we encouraged the pacees feeling fresh to push on. Coming in towards the RDS the crowds grew really big and lined both sides of the streets so I spent the next 5 miles running from side to side to whip up the crowds to make some noise. Down by Pearse ST over the last few miles the noise got so intense it felt like we were in a wind tunnel as all 4 pacers went ballistic roaring and shouting at the crowds who responded brilliantly. By the time I turned the corner at Trinity I was almost spent from all the shouting and almost felt like taking another Gel just to give it one last push :D. Luckily one more big breath and a 5 second break did the trick as I roared my way down the finish straight ably assisted by the other 3 pacers. What a reception. I have to say it is the most fun I have ever had pacing a race, Much better than last years DCM. Many thanks to the 3 other pacers.

Summary: 26.39 miles in 3:44:35

The legs felt super afterwards and I even managed to jog back to the hotel to get a shower before going to McGrattans for a great evening/night.

Wednesday i went to Aidan woods and he was pretty quick to tell me it looked like I have Cartilage damage in the right hip felxor (hip labral Pathology).
    I am going for a scan next Monday to confirm his suspicions and then back for rehab next week. I am allowed to run until the injury is confirmed/denied (after all I have been running with it for ages now) but Rehab may involve a spell on the sidelines depending on the severity of the problem :mad:. Aidan is hopeful though that I won't need an operation (though that is a possibility). I would love to do a race at the weekend as i feel I have come back into top form but I don't see much about so I might not get another chance at a PB this year. I'll know more next week.

At least it is good to get a seemingly definite diagnosis on the injury which is the first step to fixing it.

October|26/31|187.5|October|25/31|171
    November|28/30|210.1|November|1/1|7.3
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|264/306|2353.8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Aw....your little log was feeling lonely and neglected out in the wilderness that is page 5....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Nice one CM! So meno seeing as your asking us what our plans are for the upcoming months, what's the plan for you?

How's the hip situation?

Do you have a goal race lined up at the end of the dark tunnel?

Thanks for the concern lads!!
    Still running most days, getting in about 40-50 miles a week. I was kind of in limbo there so the coach decided we would start a bit of 5k training a few weeks ago. I have done a few track session with the club (6 x 600 and 8 x600) and a few tempo runs. Felt a bit sluggish at first but feeling sharper this week. The goal of the training is the Tom Brennan Memorial 5k on New years day then Raheny 5 mile at the end of January, but in the meantime I will race Jingle Bells 5k next week. I am hoping that even half fit I will have enough to ward off Digger and Claralara :p

Injury Wise, I am still waiting for the scan to see what the long term prognosis is. Provisionally it is booked for the 6th December. In the meantime I am going to Aidan Woods every week and the Rehab work he is giving me to strengthen all the muscles in the hip area seems to be working well (though on a cold day I can still feel the injury). I am really hoping I can get away without having to stop running or need an operation as I am all booked in to do London marathon In April. I also hope to run the Donadea 50k in February...

November|28/30|210.1|November|21/24|159
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|284/330|2505.4

Given that its the day for long awaited updates, I thought I might just do the same.
    I have been tipping away since the last update, getting in pretty much 50-55 miles every week icluding a speed session with the club and a race or tempo run on the weekend along with a 15-16 mile long run.

I raced Jingle Bells on the 1st december and was surprised to hit a 2 second PB by the garmin (although the official results show I equalled my PB of 18:52). I originally ran just to see where I was (and beat digger) so I was very surpirsed at the result, especially as the first two miles where 6:12 and 6:13 so I was totally off target for a PB. I just forgot about the watch (and those who might or might not be behind me) for the last mile and just blasted it down the hill for a 5:50 final mile and was shocked to see my time when I crossed the finish line (The watch actually showed 18:49:xx). http://connect.garmin.com/activity/248218566

The following week I turned up to run the Aware 10k and finally nail a proper sub 40. However I had forgotten to read the small print to see that the race started at 10:30 and not 11am :rolleyes:. By the time I got to the startline the race had already kicked off, so I did a bit of a warmup then joined the guys going around my speed for their second lap (jumping out just before the finish) so at least I got a bit of quality into my long run that day....

The plan for races is to target a proper PB in the Tom brennan 5k on New years day before marathon (and 50k) training. I may do parkrun this weekend and a 5miler on St Stephens day (up home) but onaly as tempo runs.

Regards the injury: It is much better. I have been going to Physio for the past 8 weeks and I am gradually strengthening up my weak Glutes with an eye to avoiding other injuries in the future.
    As I said before; his diagnosis was cartilage damage in the hips. So after a near 2 month process of referrals, quotes, messing, waiting and nearly €600 spent I finally had an MR Arthrogram (basically they inject fluid into your hip then give you an MRI) 10 days ago. I got a call from my 'Doctor' (he is not my doctor, just a Guy I had to pay to get a referal) yesterday to say all is clear and I have none of the damage they suspected.
    Normally that would be great news but the problem is I still feel a pain in the hip at times and am wondering if it won't come back with a vengeance once I up the miles again. It's really annoying to spend so much money and waste so much time and still be none the wiser as to the problem :mad:
    Seing the phyio again on Thursday to see what he has to say about it. I guess I better just keep on runing for the moment while I still can.....

November|28/30|210.1|November|27/30|201
    December|24/31|194.3|December|16/18|132
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|305/353|2670.2[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement

Since the last update I have kept Pretty consistent.
    2 weeks off 55 miles+ before Christmas. On 22nd December I ran Parkrun as a tempo run. The plan was to hold 6:20 pace all the way round which despite the cross country conditions and the garmin losing connection in the trees, I managed with a 19:45. Felt a little harder than it should have though.

On St Stephens day I had my annual Local 5 mile race- Greencastle 5. It is held over a very difficult course so it is not one for anything like a PB. When I last ran it 2 years ago I had a 35:36 and went on to run 1:29:xx in Waterford half and then 32:50 in Raheny 5 mile within a month after, So it is probably about between 2-3 minutes slower than a normal 5 mile course.

Anyways decided not to take it too seriously and set off very easy so I was surprised to see the first two miles clock by in 6:09 and 6:02 (ok they are slightly downhill). Here the course gets difficult the third mile is a steady uphill drag (6:54) followed by a flattish section before an almighty hill (100m rise over less than a mile) from 3.4-4.3 miles. The rise is so steep about halfway up that almost everyone is reduced to a walk at some point. I took about 10 seconds and was glad I did as I lost no distance to the guy in front and was able to then power past him after my little rest. Mile 4 7:43. The climb continues into the last mile before tapering off then the last 800m is a frantic dash steeply down to the finish line (mile 5 6:24)
    Total: 5 miles in 33:15. I was really pleased with this as I was almost 2.5 minutes faster than 2 years ago (as it happens almost exactly 30 seconds faster over each mile) and it didn't feel as hard as then. I definitely held a good bit back.
    Conditions were awful for this run by the way but there was a quality field up front. Gary O'Hanlon was well beaten into 2nd place by Stephen Scullion in the Mens, while in the Ladies Maria McCambridge beat her own course record to finish in 28:14. Despite it's tough nature I would recommend this race to anyone in the northern area over Christmas.

Today was the Tom Brennan Memorial 5k and the one I had been hoping for a PB. The lead up wasn't great, no running and a lot of drinking between 26-29th but if anything that left me fresh. A few short runs on the 30th and 31st with no booze so I felt good.

It's a nice flat course but there was a long exposed section over the furze rd where we ran into a pretty strong head wind between KM 2-3, so i had an obvious strategy: Run a strong 1st mile then get into the nearest group for the second mile even if that meant running a touch slower, and then kick on.

The first mile ticked by in 5:56 and I felt fine. As I came down Chesterfield av for the first time I found myself out in front of a group and about 20yds adrift of the one in front so I slowed down a bit to allow a few others to catch up and then tucked in behind a few folks. The group consisted of a heavily breathing man, a grunting lady and Mr Slows friend John. As we turned onto the furze Rd I was second in the group (behind heavy breather) so I was only getting a little shelter, thankfully John came through so I barely felt the wind behind the two big lads. I figured this was a really slow mile and had it in my head I would have to pick up the pace soon. I never looked at the garmin but it turns out mile 2 was 6:04 so i was still well on target for a PB (needed an overall average of 6:03). anyways as we passed the 3k marker I felt really fresh so I pulled out and ran away from the group. It felt good to pick up the pace but I felt a slight twinge in the right hamstring as I made the sharp turn onto Ordinance survey rd. Another hundred yards and the hammer cramped up completely and I stepped of the course for a DNF :mad:
    The heavy Breathing man and grunting lady went on to finish in 18:42 and 18:43 (combo of racepix and precisiontiming shows this) so i feel I would have gotten that at worst today, probably better but not to be.

FWIW here is 2.14 miles in 12:52 (6:01 pace)

Anyways i stretched the groin and it was fine after a minute but as I hobbled back to the finish line I could feel my old Hip/ass injury really badly (just like before Berlin), a real shooting pain. I felt embarrassed on the DNF especially with all the mentored group around, but I almost certainly did the right thing. Right now I feel pain in my hip, thigh and groin and it is a struggle to lift the leg off the ground (I tried my stretching routine to no avail).

I Don't know what to do from here. I have been to 2 physios with this injury, spent hours doing strengthening exercises, hundreds on scans and physio visits and all to seemingly no avail. No diagnosis on the injury and no real improvement either.
    I know I can and will probably be ok to go out in a day or two and plod away but at the back of my mind I'll be thinking when will be the next time it flares up :o. Very frustrating.
    I am thinking the next step will be either dry needling/acupuncture or else a Chiropractors, but both seem like desperation options (or shots in the dark).

I am open to any other suggestions...

month|2012 Run days|Miles|2013 Run days|Miles
    January|28/31|290.1|1/1|4.1
    February|27/29|283.2||
    March|24/31|204.7||
    April|23/30|187.8||
    May|29/31|240||
    June|20/30|176||
    July|30/31|309.2||
    August|28/31|257||
    September|26/30|227||
    October|25/31|171||
    November|27/30|201||
    December|28/31|210||
    Total|317/365|2757.8.5|1/1|4.1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

I felt embarrassed on the DNF especially with all the mentored group around

Hard luck meno. If it's any consolation you were a good first 3km pacer from a distance for me!;)

All joking aside, have you considered actually resting? You had to pull out of Berlin with this injury. And since then, in the last 3 months, you've run 80 out of 92 days and covered 582 miles. Your body might be trying to tell you something.

All joking aside, have you considered actually resting? You had to pull out of Berlin with this injury. And since then, in the last 3 months, you've run 80 out of 92 days and covered 582 miles. Your body might be trying to tell you something.

I ain't joking ;)

That's actually an interesting point. The problem is I am a bit OCD when it comes to running, I don't want to go backwards and feel like ticking over will at least keep at or near status quo.
    In my defence I can only say that Aidan Woods is about as strict as it gets when it comes to Physios (marthastew will testify to that) and he has always encouraged me to keep ticking over while strengthening. Maybe I just need someone to scare me into resting :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

i have very similiar pain and it comes and goes...give dry needling a go, its rough but not as rough as it flaring up at the least opportune times. My problem is in the Gluteus medius on both sdes, sometimes one side worse than the other but dry needling definitely gives it relief and helps it.... you have nothing to lose by trying it!!!

Hard luck on today, hope you get it sorted soon!!

I ain't joking ;)

That's actually an interesting point. The problem is I am a bit OCD when it comes to running, I don't want to go backwards and feel like ticking over will at least keep at or near status quo.
    In my defence I can only say that Aidan Woods is about as strict as it gets when it comes to Physios (marthastew will testify to that) and he has always encouraged me to keep ticking over while strengthening. Maybe I just need someone to scare me into resting :rolleyes:

There's a big difference between 'ticking over' and running an average of 6.5 miles every single day for a 3 month period (none of those being at recovery pace) carrying an injury.

I nearly died at the thought of a week off having been training 6 days a week but keeping my eye on the long term goal/gain helped me make the right decision and re-focus. Let's just say, you have a LOT to lose and nothing really to gain from running 100 miles over the next two weeks. Provided you don't do the dog on it with diet, booze and smokes etc, you'll be ten times better off afterwards.

Here's a challenge:- take 2 weeks off running and be OCD with your diet instead. Post a food diary. Post a pedantic timetable of foam rolling, stretching and strengthening. Go for the odd walk. You'll lose nothing in the long run.

I can't see you getting any 100 marathon club t-shirts if you keep this up.

It had to be a commitment though. There's no point in playing it by ear and going for a run because you haven't felt a twinge in a couple of hours. But, of course, it's your decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Very sound advice from CL. Sorry to hear about the DNF was looking for you after to see how you got on guess that explains it! 2 weeks off could do a world of good right now

There's a big difference between 'ticking over' and running an average of 6.5 miles every single day for a 3 month period (none of those being at recovery pace) carrying an injury.

I nearly died at the thought of a week off having been training 6 days a week but keeping my eye on the long term goal/gain helped me make the right decision and re-focus. Let's just say, you have a LOT to lose and nothing really to gain from running 100 miles over the next two weeks. Provided you don't do the dog on it with diet, booze and smokes etc, you'll be ten times better off afterwards.

Here's a challenge:- take 2 weeks off running and be OCD with your diet instead. Post a food diary. Post a pedantic timetable of foam rolling, stretching and strengthening. Go for the odd walk. You'll lose nothing in the long run.

I can't see you getting any 100 marathon club t-shirts if you keep this up.

It had to be a commitment though. There's no point in playing it by ear and going for a run because you haven't felt a twinge in a couple of hours. But, of course, it's your decision.

Point taken and that is certainly an option.
    I would love to find out what exactly the problem is though. I was quite prepared to take several weeks off went I first went to Aidan (or Ciaran) about this but neither of them though that was the solution. Mind you they were both guessing the couase as being something it wasn't.

Just to be pedantic though, pretty much all my miles have been at recovery pace for the last 3 months (and I am not after a 100 marathon club tshirt ;)).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What was the results of the scan?

• Advertisement

What was the results of the scan?

Totally all clear. No cartilage damage no bone damage, no structural damage of any type on the upper leg.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement