Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My new ride !!

Options
  • 10-06-2009 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

Just won a 1987 Simson SR50 B4 on ebay this morning. I've sort of fallen in love with ugly bikes / cars from the DDR recently and they can be picked up in good condition for next to nothing.

Here she is

sr50_b4.jpg

Stock pic but identical to mine.

The great thing about the old DDR machines in Germany is they aren't restricted to 45kph like all other scooters, this one will do 60kph (maybe more with some tinkering) and to register, tax and insure them its just €80 per year.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I can't say I approve of this particular purchase KTRIC...

But hey, enjoy it nonetheless! ;)

Oh and here, how can you afford all these bikes?!?! Can I have the same job as you please? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Oh and here, how can you afford all these bikes?!?! Can I have the same job as you please? :P

You can have my job if you want, I'm bloody sick of it.

I wouldn't expect a Frenchman to like Commie bikes anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Comunistastic!

The Party will be best pleased. Does it spit and cough blue smoke (not exhaust mind) like the Trabi's?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Awesome, i approve!

• Advertisement

KTRIC wrote: »
    You can have my job if you want, I'm bloody sick of it.
    What do you do for a living?
    I wouldn't expect a Frenchman to like Commie bikes anyway :pac:
    :D

What do you do for a living?

:D

Supposidly I'm a IT support engineer. I don't find much time for it during my busy day surfing boards.ie and eBay :D

like all engineers then :-)

Supposidly I'm a IT support engineer. I don't find much time for it during my busy day surfing boards.ie and eBay :D
    Similar boat myself but with a relatively lower pay grade me thinks... :pac:

Similar boat myself but with a relatively lower pay grade me thinks... :pac:

I thought you had a couple of bikes yourself ?

A track and road bike ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

oh KTRIC, you so pimp :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭randomway

Oh, no! I remember these bikes, they polluted the roads of Eastern Europe for at least a century. They were the top of the line scooter :D

I thought you had a couple of bikes yourself ?

A track and road bike ?
    I do... :o

And that's why I'm flat broke! I even have to give up racing and I'm currently 5th in the Championship! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Victory to the Vietcong - that would make any Bolshevik give away his Ural!!

Have fun on your new acquisition, don't forget all possessions are theft and two strokes don't pollute as much as nuclear reactors...

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

man that is the cutest thing ever. That would look lovely on my mantle . I would love to go around on that in full leathers. I want it grrr. Be class pulling up outside murphys here in waterford on that.

seanybiker wrote: »
    man that is the cutest thing ever. That would look lovely on my mantle . I would love to go around on that in full leathers. I want it grrr. Be class pulling up outside murphys here in waterford on that.

or go to a track day just to get the knee down on it :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

so so wrong, but yet theres somthing about it im drawn to, any gears on her? how much it set you back?

weeder wrote: »
    so so wrong, but yet theres somthing about it im drawn to, any gears on her? how much it set you back?

Set me back the princely sum of €390, its only got 8000k's on it and its got 4 gears.

Victory to the Vietcong - that would make any Bolshevik give away his Ural!!

Have fun on your new acquisition, don't forget all possessions are theft and two strokes don't pollute as much as nuclear reactors...

'cptr
    Nuclear reactors don't pollute 'cptr. The radioactive waste left behind is terrible for the environment but if it's stored correctly then it's no bother!

As you can see, I'm pro-nuclear (being French and all...)!

Set me back the princely sum of €390, its only got 8000k's on it and its got 4 gears.
    Super cheap!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Nuclear reactors don't pollute 'cptr.

Come around and tell that to the Chernobyl kids staying in my neighbourhood this summer... The French pollution record is undeniably good, but not everyone is as eh, careful as the French.

'c :rolleyes:

Come around and tell that to the Chernobyl kids staying in my neighbourhood this summer... The French pollution record is undeniably good, but not everyone is as eh, careful as the French.

'c :rolleyes:
    When I say "nuclear energy is clean" I mean "if the power plant doesn't blow up" of course! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

When I say "nuclear energy is clean" I mean "if the power plant doesn't blow up" of course! :pac:

What if it sends its spent fuel to Sellafield to be reprocessed(dumped in the Irish sea) :p

She's home :D

We rented a van for the evening and managed to tie her down in the back, first time doing this and managed to pull it off without any breakages.

It was sitting up for 3 years in the previous owners garage hence the dust and cob-webs. But luckily she's all there, 100% original and in surpirsingly good shape. Not a rust spot or dent in site. The plastics have aged after 22 years but nothing that can't be painted or replaced cheaply.

We're going to tear her apart before making the maiden voyage just to make sure its road worthy. I did spin it around a car park before it went in the van and boy was it fun, drives like a small enduro because the forks were used by Simson on an enduro bike and the sound is great for a 50cc.

Sorry about the quality of the pics and the state of my garage ;)

you so need a pair of chaps to ride that hog :-)

And of course you'll need a sissy bar to stop your bizatches falling off the back when you open her up :pac:

Advertisement