Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

• 14-08-2008 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Hey all,

So I have been to around 4 different doctors over a skin condition I've had for around a year. 2 didn't know and 2 said I have psoriasis. It's very annoying, looks bad, and has a chance of spreading...

I have it on some parts of my head and the doctor told me there is no cure for it, it's only containable.

I have done some looking up on the web about cures, and some people say it's not cureable, some say it is. I have yet to go to a dermatolisist (I've one booked) or a chinese herbalist.

Does anyone else have this skin problem? If so what are you taking for it? And does anyone know if it's actually cureable or not.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 adastra

Sykk wrote: »
    Hey all,

So I have been to around 4 different doctors over a skin condition I've had for around a year. 2 didn't know and 2 said I have psoriasis. It's very annoying, looks bad, and has a chance of spreading...

I have it on some parts of my head and the doctor told me there is no cure for it, it's only containable.

I have done some looking up on the web about cures, and some people say it's not cureable, some say it is. I have yet to go to a dermatolisist (I've one booked) or a chinese herbalist.

Does anyone else have this skin problem? If so what are you taking for it? And does anyone know if it's actually cureable or not.

Thanks in advance.

I had psoriasis a few years ago. It was over much of my body, in patches. The doctor gave me steroid creams to put on it twice a day. I'm not sure if they helped or not to be honest. She put me on anti-depressants at the same time and she seemed to think that as I started feeling better it helped the psoriasis to go. Either way it went after about four months. I still get the odd little patch, but its never been anything like as bad as it was at the beginning.

Good luck with it xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

My grandmother has it and i know from having eczema that it can be quite bad,there is also a website for psoriasis -just google that and it should be of some help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭allsaintssue

Hey,
    I'm a student nurse and I had a patient who had pretty bad psoriasis. Although you should wait until you have seen the dermatologist, there is a really great cream called Emulsifying Cream. It's available in Boots, (Not sure if it's in every branch but I have seen it in the Boots in Jervis Street Shopping Centre) for about 5 euro for a big jar.
    It's got a thick consistency, similar to vaseline but it is really rich and a great moisturiser. The patient applied it to the affected areas a couple of times a day. He also had emulsifying baths where he would mix up a soloution of boiling water and a spoonful of emulsifying cream and then once it was dissolved, pour it into a bath. Just be careful to make it into a soloution first and not just put spoonfuls of cream into the bath or it will clog up the drains!!
    Psoriasis is pretty difficult to diagnose as it usually appears only on the scalp and so is misdiagnosed as dry scalp. Elbows and Knees are often effected too and stress can make it worse. My patient used baby shampoo, like Johnsons, on his scalp as it was gentler. He also had a tar based treatment for his hair and a steroid gel for his face but both of these were prescribed.
    I hope this is of some help with you, and it is worth mentioning to the dermatologist.
    Good luck with everything!:)

Yep, emulsifying cream is good for everything, its cheap for a huge big tub and its Over The Counter! i use it daily when my eczema is bad and i'd give it a +10. although to wash it off your hands you'd need warm water and some soap!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've had it for years around the edge of my scalp (not in the middle) and in one other slightly embarrassing place, namely the top of my bum crack :D (sorry!). It's apparently hereditary to a degree, and my father suffered from it all of his life, mainly on his arms and elbows though.

I use a coal tar shampoo (Capasal) regularly, although I'm not 100% convinced that that doesn't actually make it worse, and a lotion called Betnovate that helps when it really flares up (usually when I'm feeling stressed for whatever reason) but since it's a topical steroid which can cause skin thinning if overused, I try and keep its use to a minimum. I also find that sunlight helps a lot, so try and keep my hair reasonably short, and get outdoors as much as possible, especially in the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Thanks all,

I'll try everything mentioned :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

In the original post, you mentioned Chinese herbal medicine. I've had psoriasis for over 20 years. It tends to get worse in the winter when I don't have as much opportunity for exercise and getting out in the sun as I have in the summer (and also my job is more intense in the winter than in the summer). I've tried Chinese herbal medicine a couple of times. The first time, my psoriasis (which is on my scalp, arms, body and legs) cleared up completely for about 18 months, but then came back (not helped by a change of job and a lot of stress at the time). The second time, the psoriasis didn't clear up completely but was less red and flaky. However, in both cases the herbalist went back to China and I stopped the treatment.

It was a bit of a nuisance because I had to boil up a bundle of herbs for a couple of hours every other day, and then drink the liquid. It was also quite expensive (roughly €60-70 every two weeks, depending on the particular combination of herbs). The herbalist modified the combination of herbs each time - I wasn't sure that this was in response to changes detected in my body or just trial and error.

Over the years, I've had some conventional treatments (coal tar and dithranol, UVB, PUVA), which have usually cleared or reduced the psoriasis for a year or so, but it's always come back. At present, it's not so bad, and I use a cream called Dovonex (on prescription only), which apparently mimics the effect of sunlight by providing a source of Vitamin D direct to the affected areas. I try to avoid steriod-based creams, as my experience is that the psoriasis comes back worse when I stop using them.

Also, keep the affected skin moisturised - I'd endorse Emulsifying Ointment, but you can also use Aqueous Cream, which is basically a more dilute form of this. If you can get hold of it, Vaseline Aloe Fresh Light Moisturising Lotion is something I've found very soothing.

With regard to the head, I was turning prematurely grey so I shaved my hair off. This is a radical approach, but I found things much less uncomfortable with the shaved head, because the dry and flaky skin doesn't build up in the hair. I use some Aloe Vera gel on the scalp each morning to keep the skin moist and shiny.

Finally, a few years ago I had to go to Australia for work reasons for a few months during their summer. Within three weeks of arriving, my psoriasis completely cleared up. I put this down to exposure to the sun, more exercise, and a more relaxed lifestyle. The key thing about coping with long-term psoriasis is to try not to let it get you down. Psoriasis is, in my experience, stress-related, and you need to avoid the vicious circle of becoming stressed over the psoriasis, which then makes the psoriasis worse.

Good luck with whatever you do to manage the psoriasis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

I've had it fourteen years and stress definately makes it worse. I have been to three dermatologists and am manging it pretty well. Emulsifying base is great and it helps you to manage it. Although severer cases will need a prescribed cortisone cream ointment or lotion which should be used sparingly.

I find using a liquid washing liquid for my clthes helped too....

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

I had acute guttate psoriasis for about 9 months and this was mostly on the "trunk" of my body. I know that was linked to a throat infection that went untreated, according to my GP.

Two things that I found helped were sunlight and Viola Tricolor drops from Bioforce. I got them in the healthfood shop and they are made from extract of Wild Pansy. They taste horrible - you take them in a small bit of water - but they really helped me! They are supposed to help with dry skin conditions.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

http://www.bolhealing.com/
    I really, really recommend that you go to see this lady. On the website read the 'history' part.. she is particularly good with skin conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I know different things work for different people but after a year I've found a cream that works..

Plenty of people said to me "I know a guy that had that dry skin and he used <Inserts useless cream that won't work>" but my mother gave me cream she used when she had a rash on her elbow.. And whatever is in it killed the psoriasis...

I'll post the name of it when I'm home from work!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hiya,

I got a couple of tiny red patches on my arms summer before last ... within a week, my body was covered in them!! The doctor diagnosed it as guttate psoriasis, and prescribed a cream called Dovobet. This is a very strong steroid cream; my experience with it is that it WILL clear the psoriasis almost completely within a couple of days - but no matter how slowly I try to wean myself off it, the psoriasis comes back - no worse than before, but no better either. So Dovobet isn't a good long-term solution for me (you're not supposed to use it for more than a month) but it's handy to know it works for any big events etc.

After going on and off the Dovobet for a while, I switched to Dovonex about six months ago. It took about a month to make any difference, but within three months my psoriasis was nearly gone. A sun holiday in August cleared up any remaining patches, and I didn't have any recurrence since I stopped using it.

In relation to the emulsifying creams - I used a few different ones (e.g. E45, Aqueous Cream, Silcocks Base) - for me, I felt they irritated my skin and actually made things worse. I've found that Dove Silk Cream works best for me, and I use Nivea shower creme (Dove and Aveeno shower gels didn't work for me either)

I'm just writing this coz I know when I was suffering badly, I'd trawl internet boards for hours looking for a solution. Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all solution for psoriasis; for example, many people find emulsifying creams great, and according to my doctor the Dovonex actually does nothing for a lot of people!! My advice is: Try different things, and TRUST YOUR OWN INSTINCTS as to whether they work for you or not. Having said that, try to give new medicines etc at least a month or so before you give up on them.

Hope that helps ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

Hi everyone,

ive had psoriasis since about 15/16 im in my mid twenties now and i never had it bad well it was bad on the scalp thats were i only had it and i got it sortd i then started to get it on my face and i was able to keep that under control until this year.. the steroid cream i was using stoppe taking effect and ever since ive had bad flare ups and its really getting to me.. ive been to the doctor where i got this new ointment for the scalp and a cream called modrasone where you can use it on the face,it did clear it up for a short time and it came back quick and i find the cream is not working...

i have just got that emulsyfiying cream that someone mentioned in a previous post and also hemp face cream which i heard is good...

if anyone knows of any tips that can help me get rid of or control it i would love to hear from ye.

thanks.

Be careful with emulsifying ointment cos if you have greasy skin (like myself) it can cause spots on your face!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

I developed psoriasis when I was a teenager. I got it pretty bad. Instead of it being localised to my scalp and elbows I developed it on my face, arms, trunk, in my ears (of all places) and even as far as my groin.

I looked like a frigging burn victim shedding horrible silvery flakes everywhere (my bedroom looked like someone had burst a bag of soap flakes).

As I got older (I'm 26 now) I found it mostly went away with greater or lesser degree being shown in winter and summer respectively. It is still present on my face (around my nose, temples) and my scalp and elbows.

The following things did actually help;
    E45 cream (which I use now)
    Emulisfying Ointment

Things I think helped;
    Sun
    Sea water
    Olive Oil in my diet
    Scrubbing with a rough sponge
    Lots of water
    Coal tar shampoo and soap

To be honest, once you have it you're stuck with it. You can live a perfectly normal life once its under control - you dont have to look like you are crumbling but it will take time for your immune system to slow itself down so the management doesnt take an hour or two a day.

That being said, I developed psoriatic arthritis from it so you might want to keep an eye out for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,875 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Had it all my life. Direct sunlight is good for contraining it, as are Chaomile lotions and the previously mentioned moisturisers.

It's casued by the skin regenerating itself too quickly, which is usually brought on by stress (bodily systems tend to work faster). So mentally calming things like meditation or massage help as well.

There's a shampoo called Polytar (that smells awful!) that helps if you scalp gets itchy.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,177 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

One of my mates has it pretty bad all over.

He goes to Spain every year for 2 weeks and its all clears up. He says the sun helps, he jus spends the 2 weeks lounging in the sun.

Nice excuse for a holiday!

My mother (whose mother has psoriasis) thinks that my brother may have it too, we first we (and the doc) thought it was ringworm (..nice!) but there is always the possibilty of psoriasis i suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 akaalias

Out of interest, would many of you say that you are overweight, unfit or have a bad diet? Or indeed all or a combination of the above?

akaalias wrote: »
    Out of interest, would many of you say that you are overweight, unfit or have a bad diet? Or indeed all or a combination of the above?

A little, but it makes no difference - causes are hereditary and stress.

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    A little, but it makes no difference - causes are hereditary and stress.

This is akaalias again, didn't realise you could post unregistered. What about diet? And you say hereditary. I realise it can be but i've got it and no one else in my family has it.

I have had psoriasis of the scalp for around 15 years. Like everyone here sun helps it greatly and i thought thats all that would. Since Monday last (08/12/08) i begun a new diet; an extremely strict one at that. The diet i follow is from Dr. Pagano's 'Healing Psoriasis: The Natural Alternative". At the best of times i can be regarded as extremely sceptical but when you're desperate you'll try anything.

Over the past 10/11 days I have had a flare-up around days 5-7 and already is it looking clearer than before. The skin is less inflamed, more flesh-coloured and i think it is a thinner covering than before. Considering it is about a week and half since i started i'm hopeful. I'm going to keep it going for as long as i can, but i fimly believe if if i stick with it it will go. If you want details of the diet i stick to i'll post it up, but i think the book is a great buy, and would recommend it. I plan on posting regular updates here.

I am definite that diet has a lot to do with it, in fact i think its the main cause

This is akaalias again, didn't realise you could post unregistered. What about diet? And you say hereditary. I realise it can be but i've got it and no one else in my family has it.

I have had psoriasis of the scalp for around 15 years. Like everyone here sun helps it greatly and i thought thats all that would. Since Monday last (08/12/08) i begun a new diet; an extremely strict one at that. The diet i follow is from Dr. Pagano's 'Healing Psoriasis: The Natural Alternative". At the best of times i can be regarded as extremely sceptical but when you're desperate you'll try anything.

Over the past 10/11 days I have had a flare-up around days 5-7 and already is it looking clearer than before. The skin is less inflamed, more flesh-coloured and i think it is a thinner covering than before. Considering it is about a week and half since i started i'm hopeful. I'm going to keep it going for as long as i can, but i fimly believe if if i stick with it it will go. If you want details of the diet i stick to i'll post it up, but i think the book is a great buy, and would recommend it. I plan on posting regular updates here.

I am definite that diet has a lot to do with it, in fact i think its the main cause

Intersting, but if it works, do it. I've had it since I was a child and I'm mid 30s now - have goen through periods when I was very health conscious, but the psorasis settled into it's own regeime: bad in winter, good in summer. And I eat a LOT more junk food in summer...!!

Please do post updates - would be very interested in hearing how you get on.

P.

Intersting, but if it works, do it. I've had it since I was a child and I'm mid 30s now - have goen through periods when I was very health conscious, but the psorasis settled into it's own regeime: bad in winter, good in summer. And I eat a LOT more junk food in summer...!!

Please do post updates - would be very interested in hearing how you get on.

P.

Would you consider trying it yourself? The main foods it says to avoid are tomatoes (apparently the worst of them all), tobacco (not a food i know), aubergine, white poatoes and paprika. Other foods to avoid are processed foods, refined sugars, white flour and many more, including alcohol. I can post up a regular daily diet of mine, but i'd really love other people to try it, becuase i know how debilitating and embarassing this thing is, and how much happier people would be without it.

Not only will you be generally healthier taking up a better diet, but all these sterodial creams and shampoos are dangerous. I used capasal myself for years not knowing it was a carcenogenic (sp?).

I am putting a lot of faith in this but why not? Nothing else has worked

Would you consider trying it yourself? The main foods it says to avoid are tomatoes (apparently the worst of them all), tobacco (not a food i know), aubergine, white poatoes and paprika. Other foods to avoid are processed foods, refined sugars, white flour and many more, including alcohol. I can post up a regular daily diet of mine, but i'd really love other people to try it, becuase i know how debilitating and embarassing this thing is, and how much happier people would be without it.

Not only will you be generally healthier taking up a better diet, but all these sterodial creams and shampoos are dangerous. I used capasal myself for years not knowing it was a carcenogenic (sp?).

I am putting a lot of faith in this but why not? Nothing else has worked

Hmm.... don't really eat a lot of the stuff you mention, and don't smoke. Do I avoid alcohol COMPLETELY or just limit? Don't drink much anyway.

I don't have the will power to stick to diets, if I'm honest, and my psoriasis isn't troubleing me at the moment (red, but not very itchy). But some of the others - especially the OP - might be willing to try.

Like I said, if it works for you then do it!! Why not indeed!

Hmm.... don't really eat a lot of the stuff you mention, and don't smoke. Do I avoid alcohol COMPLETELY or just limit? Don't drink much anyway.

I don't have the will power to stick to diets, if I'm honest, and my psoriasis isn't troubleing me at the moment (red, but not very itchy). But some of the others - especially the OP - might be willing to try.

Like I said, if it works for you then do it!! Why not indeed!

Thats fair. Hopefully if more people hate it enough they will give it a try. One thing i noticed, when on holiday in thailand for 4 weeks, i completely cleared up in two weeks. My theory was sun and sweating, but in that 2 weeks i had zero bread and zero potatoes, compared living in Boston for 3 months and it taking 2.5 months to clear, and it being arguably hotter and sunnier. Just maybe something to think about.

Like i say, i'll post updates, not sure it'll be till February though, cos i can see myself breaking the diet rather severely over Christmas. All the best

I hate when people say the sun is great for it...when is the last time the sun was out? it hasnt stopped raining and being dull in weeks and even in summer we dont get much of the sun because ireland is a misrible country weather wise.....
    mine has got very bad this year i have it on the face and the flare ups last for days ive tried moisturisers and got creams from the doctor which didnt do much ive gone back to the doctor he has presicribed me with exorex coal tar...has anybody used this and found it any good?really hope i get something to sort this,feel like im starting to lose the battle...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

ok, I am going to give the best advice you will every have about any skin condition. seriously.

Visit Foleys chemist in parnell st in Dublin. the man is a genius. I mean it. I started getting dry patches/skin problems when I was a teenager - nothing really dreadful as some people, but not nice either. Several doctors have all disagreed on what it is - ezcema, psoriasis, dermatitis etc etc. Some said it was because I wear make-up!

Went to mr foely, he said its a combination of things. gave me an emoliant he makes himself - made a huge improvement. I still get problems and no matter what it is he has a cream for it! he makes them himself, and will give you a consultation. he will then give you one of his magic potions. you are put on file in his database, and anytime after that you need to go back they can find your details. My granny had severe psoriasis - needed hopsital treatment, steroids, emolient baths, you name it. mr foley gave her an emolient to put in her bath - a week later her skin was better than any steriod cream ever had it.

my dad told me about him, and apparently his is a legend as was his dad before him, and his dad before that.......... Plenty of old dears still go in and get a 'tonic' from him and his medicated soap. i use the soap and it is better than any expensive cleanser I have ever used (it does smell like lifebouy, but it works so well I can overlook that!) The chemist has been there for 100 years, and 4 generations of chemists specialising in skin treatments, so I reckon they just might know what they are doing! lol

also its defintiely worth giving him a try rather than use steriods or harsh creams on your body - especially your face. Steriods can seriously damage and thin out the skin on your face and cause premature aging big time.

ANYONE with ANY skin problems, go see this man. He is brilliant.

Foley M.J. & Son
    136 Parnell st 1 Co. Dublin
    (01)8746972
    (01)8748573

i'll keep that contact cheers, facial p has cleared was bad over xmas though as i tried a new treatment which mad it worse but have an effective cream now so hopefully that will keep it cleared for as long as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭haven27

In terms of diet I've never had the need to cut out more foods, I got my psoriasis as a vegetarian so had already cut a lot of the stuff out anyway :) In terms of the creams, most of them seem to hate me and make my skin worse, coal tar does work but it works best combined with sunlight (yes I know what a joke in Ireland) am going to a dermatologist next week to beg for uvb but am probably not bad enough at the moment. Madma if your just seeing your gp and it gets bad again I'd say ask to be refered, it'll be expensive for the consultation but hopefully helpful.

Oh and for ideas of other treatments people use I'd say check out http://www.psoriasis-help.org.uk/community/ , I've never really posted there but can make for interesting reading/help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ElCrapula

Ive no experience with this issue but I heard this lady interviewed on the radio some while back.It is a highly successful method I gather.Heres something more information I came across:

"Sleeping with the fishes" is a term usually issued as a sinister threat -- but a new clinic aims to show their therapeutic side.

An alternative skin therapy clinic where patients with chronic diseases bathe with hundreds of tiny fish that nibble at the skin, will soon be made available in Dublin.

"Doctor fish" -- so named for their ability to produce healthy results from even the most diseased epidermis -- are the key ingredient in a skin treatment currently available at Skin Therapy Ireland, a clinic located on the outskirts of Limerick city.

The fish, pictured left, are a species called Garra Rufa that originate in hot spring pools in the East Anatolian Kangal region of Turkey, where these fish have "nibbled" on the skin of psoriasis-sufferers for more than four hundred years.

Clare woman Therese Dillon, who suffered from severe psoriasis for years, decided to open Ireland's first clinic of this type in Limerick after a holiday to Turkey where she first tried the therapy.

"About 60pc of my body was covered with psoriasis and I had never experienced results like those I got in Turkey so I brought some fish back with me and began breeding them here before opening the clinic in Limerick a year ago," explained the 42-year-old.

"I am not a qualified physician and I don't claim to cure anybody but I currently have a 75pc success rate on my books," she added.

Patients suffering from a variety of skin diseases including eczema, dermatitis, athlete's foot, acne and psoriasis are currently travelling from across the country to the clinic and plans are under way to open a clinic in Dublin in two months.

The treatment involves bathing in a hot tub with approximately 200 fish for two-hour periods over six days.
    www.independent.ie/national-news/gone-fishin-for-skin-therapy-1425981.html

Advertisement