Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August?3 weeks backpacking?Colombia maybe or any other suggestions?

• 19-05-2012 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

Booked 3 weeks off at the start of August.

Would like to go somewhere warm and cheap (I need to be abe to walk around in shorts/t-shirt/flip flops for 3 weeks).

Already done the South East Asia thing (Thailand,Cambodia,Vietnam,Laos).

Travelling on my tod.

Any suggestions? Looking for a South East Asia buzz I suppose - warm, cheap and plenty of backpackers to meet.

Would Colombia meet this requirement? Anyone been?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

P.S. If anyone knows how to get a cheapish flight to Colombia let me know :)

Cheapest I can find is 1,400 Euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

if you want the asia buzz go to asia :) ....

yeah i'd recommend Colombia for the climate and meeting other backpackers...although you'll meet them where ever you go in South America...

as regards nightlife.... we didnt really go out at night much in the big cities but has great craic in some of the smaller places we visited... but i'm sure you'd find it in most places if you talk to enough people...

It's a beautiful country and the people in the main are very nice.... if you search this forum you'll find plenty of discussions on it

jobless wrote: »
    if you want the asia buzz go to asia :) ....

yeah i'd recommend Colombia for the climate and meeting other backpackers...although you'll meet them where ever you go in South America...

as regards nightlife.... we didnt really go out at night much in the big cities but has great craic in some of the smaller places we visited... but i'm sure you'd find it in most places if you talk to enough people...

It's a beautiful country and the people in the main are very nice.... if you search this forum you'll find plenty of discussions on it

I meant Asia Buzz in terms of cheapness and climate (not in terms of culture!).

is it super cheap over there? 400 Euro a week cover you nicely?

Would you see much in 3 weeks? Don't want to be on buses/trains the whole time - looking to relax a bit aswell as I would be returning to work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Would you see much in 3 weeks? Don't want to be on buses/trains the whole time - looking to relax a bit aswell as I would be returning to work :)

South America is more expensive than SE Asia, Peru and Bolivia are probably the cheapest countries there. Travelling is all by buses as flights are relatively expensive given the lack of low cost carriers in SE Asia and Europe and journeys can be quite long as you're regularly covering long distances and travelling across the Andes.

If you're looking for a more relaxing backpacker vibe try Goa or Kerala in Southern India, fairly cheap, hot and has plenty backpackers. Plenty beaches and that to chill out. You would need a visa before you go but that's fairly straightforward. There's an Indian Embassy in Dublin that accepts postal applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

its not super cheap but it is cheap..... you could live on 400 if you were in dorms and weren't out partying everynight.... but you'll want to do other things like tours, and to get around you'll need to bus it. You could see a bit in three weeks you just need to decide where you'd like to go and if you mind spending that amount of time getting there.

I had one internal flight from Bogota to Santa Marta which save a days travelling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

I live in colombia and work for a tourism company, send me a pm with any questions you have

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

P.S. If anyone knows how to get a cheapish flight to Colombia let me know :)

Cheapest I can find is 1,400 Euro!

Play around with Skyscanner for a start. I just did a quick search there and after seconds I saw flights for €1,2850. I'm sure you'll find closer to 1k with more time spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Trippie wrote: »
    I live in colombia and work for a tourism company, send me a pm with any questions you have

Any jobs? :D

Fizman wrote: »
    Play around with Skyscanner for a start. I just did a quick search there and after seconds I saw flights for €1,2850. I'm sure you'll find closer to 1k with more time spent.

Yeah - that is what I was getting - a ridiculous amount TBH.

Not sure what to do really.

Todd Gack wrote: »
    South America is more expensive than SE Asia, Peru and Bolivia are probably the cheapest countries there. Travelling is all by buses as flights are relatively expensive given the lack of low cost carriers in SE Asia and Europe and journeys can be quite long as you're regularly covering long distances and travelling across the Andes.

If you're looking for a more relaxing backpacker vibe try Goa or Kerala in Southern India, fairly cheap, hot and has plenty backpackers. Plenty beaches and that to chill out. You would need a visa before you go but that's fairly straightforward. There's an Indian Embassy in Dublin that accepts postal applications.

Wouldn't touch India - just heard too many mixed reports. Finding it very difficult to come up with a suitable place.

Might just go back to SE Asia but want to try somewhere new really but with similar kind of lifestyle.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't touch India - just heard too many mixed reports. Finding it very difficult to come up with a suitable place.

Might just go back to SE Asia but want to try somewhere new really but with similar kind of lifestyle.

Have a look at my thread in the travel forum, along similar lines to yourself and some very interesting ideas! I'm currently looking at return flights of €765 and Central America ticks many of your boxes by the sounds of it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056601773

Have a look at my thread in the travel forum, along similar lines to yourself and some very interesting ideas! I'm currently looking at return flights of €765 and Central America ticks many of your boxes by the sounds of it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056601773

Can we just join our 2 threads??!!

I have my heart set on Colombia but 1,200 for a flight is just too much.

BTW South Africa is awesome but Cape Town will not be warm in July/August.

I'll keep an eye on your thread - you seem to be getting more ideas than me!

Can we just join our 2 threads??!!

I have my heart set on Colombia but 1,200 for a flight is just too much.

BTW South Africa is awesome but Cape Town will not be warm in July/August.

I'll keep an eye on your thread - you seem to be getting more ideas than me!

I don't have a problem joining them, as long as mine stays in the main forum. :)

Ha, ya I was where you were about 6 weeks ago, really like the idea of Colombia (and in fairness to Trippie - I got some great info from him/her), but it seems a stretch too far for us at the minute I think.

one option regarding flights to find cheaper ones is with spirit/jetblue, they fly miami to cartagena and bogota and are normally quite cheap. just a matter of finding a flight to the states then.

I don't have a problem joining them, as long as mine stays in the main forum. :)

Ha, ya I was where you were about 6 weeks ago, really like the idea of Colombia (and in fairness to Trippie - I got some great info from him/her), but it seems a stretch too far for us at the minute I think.

I knew i spoke to someone about colombia. couldn't remember for the life of me who though.

Trippie wrote: »
    one option regarding flights to find cheaper ones is with spirit/jetblue, they fly miami to cartagena and bogota and are normally quite cheap. just a matter of finding a flight to the states then.

Ya I found Spirit prices to be excellent considering the airmiles you're actually covering. The big hitter is the flight to the US though in most cases.

Advertisement