Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Expired) tax disc robbed!

• 17-06-2009 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

The barstewards! Parked my bike in Cork city centre one night and didn't even notice it was missing for a week. The weird thing is - it was expired. I had the new one at home. The bad part is the feckers threw away one of the nuts from the holder, so that's now useless. Have the tax in my pocket until I get a new holder.

Anybody try riding around without a tax disc? I'm nervous about putting it on the bike if even expired ones get robbed.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ah well, at least if scumbags dont know what year it is, theres less chance theyll succeed at anything bigger like credit card fraud. :p

I know some guys keep it in their pocket or put it on their key fob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I have it on my Bike key ring. Twice at Garda check points checking for tax and I had no problems, the Gardai just looked at the disc hanging from my ignition and waived me on. Technically it's suppose to be displayed on the bike but it would want to be one bastard of a Garda who would have an issue with it. They know the discs get robbed all the time when attached to the bike itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I just carry mine in my pocket since the holder broke and the screw holding the number-plate on refuses to budge.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭draward

clown bag wrote: »
    I have it on my Bike key ring. Twice at Garda check points checking for tax and I had no problems, the Gardai just looked at the disc hanging from my ignition and waived me on. Technically it's suppose to be displayed on the bike but it would want to be one bastard of a Garda who would have an issue with it. They know the discs get robbed all the time when attached to the bike itself.

friend of mine got done for non display of tax on his bike. the thing was it was parked The Traffic warden gave it to him. Sorry he had it in his pocket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

draward wrote: »
    friend of mine got done for non display of tax on his bike. the thing was it was parked The Traffic warden gave it to him. Sorry he had it in his pocket

Yeah, it is a risk, but Imo opportunistic thieving scrots vastly outnumber traffic wardens. I'm rarely parked up in public areas anyway so I'd feel hard done by if a warden did catch me out while parked outside an esso station at 6am in the morning on my way into work.

Why don't they just issue the wardens with a PDA so they can quickly check a registration on their database? Should confirm if vehicle is taxed, how long for and eliminate any possibility of the disc being forged. Would eliminate tax disc crime too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I had mine robbed and there was only a month left on it. The holders are usually ropey quality and need replacing every 3 years anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

havent had a tax disc on my bike since i got it. there was nowhere discrete on teh frame to put it. never had any problems apart from one young garda on teh bottom of the south link one night, was terribly adamant that it should be on, i said it'll get stolen, he just kept saying ti should be on the bike and i kept saying they get stolen and ive had one stolen off my moped before. yer man gave up and waved me on after five mins of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I keep mine in my pocket.
    I have thought about putting it in the bike, but have not done it yet.

Might just put a copy on the bike :D.
    That way the Traffic Warden will be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I use to keep mine fastened to the rear registration plate in such a way that it could swivel, (Common practice with couriers) A Garda stopped me and said if he saw it there again he would take the blke from me. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

I got a little zip-lock plastic bag in my wee glove-box.
    It contains my tax disc, photocopy of insurance cert , receipt of bike and photocopy of drivers licence .

No problems so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I have good quality colour copies of my tax disc, which I keep on the bike, with the original in my pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I have good quality colour copies of my tax disc, which I keep on the bike, with the original in my pocket.
    Not a good idea, if you forgot the original and moisture caused the copies to run you would have a lot of explaining to the cops, worse still if you had any amount of drink on you it would only draw attentio to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Not a good idea, if you forgot the original and moisture caused the copies to run you would have a lot of explaining to the cops, worse still if you had any amount of drink on you it would only draw attentio to yourself.

Not sure what drink riding has to do with the tax disc - never touch a drop if I'm driving or riding.

The colour copies look identical to the original, except for the reflective hologram, and barring the guard taking it from it's holder, he would not notice any issue.
    If a guard were to stop me, he would be told that the original is is my pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I have never had any probs with disks been taken, though I know it does happen. Its on the reg plate of my KLE, when I got the Transalp there was no holder, on I got one but was too lazy to fit it. I just keep it in my pocket, if asked my line will be that it was ripped of a few days ago and I just haven't have the chace to fix it yet. It would have to be a very moody cop to do you on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Burklert

I have mine inside storage on my bike. A guard once gave me grief for not having it displayed on the outside, I pointed to the ruins of the tax disk holder that some guy had mangled. He waved me on after that.

Advertisement