Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

change category of test from A to A1

Options
  • 10-06-2009 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I have been driving a 125cc scooter for eight months, and have a Category A test scheduled at the end of the month. I originally had in mind to get a few lessons on a geared bike and get the full Category A license straight off.

I now want to take the Category A1 test instead.

Does anybody know if I can change the category of the test?

If I just show up on my Category A1 scooter will they be happy to consider it an A1 test?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I can't actually answer your question (although I assume that if you show up with an A1 Type motorcycle you'll get an A1 License regardless of the Type of Test you booked)... But I will say this: get an A License and be done with it! Why settle for A1? What if you want to get a biker bike in a couple of years? You'll have to go through all this again! And by then you'll probably have to fork out for 10 or 20 hours of compulsory lessons (although there's nothing wrong with lessons)!

Makes no sense...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I can't actually answer your question (although I assume that if you show up with an A1 Type motorcycle you'll get an A1 License regardless of the Type of Test you booked)... But I will say this: get an A License and be done with it! Why settle for A1? What if you want to get a biker bike in a couple of years? You'll have to go through all this again! And by then you'll probably have to fork out for 10 or 20 hours of compulsory lessons (although there's nothing wrong with lessons)!

Makes no sense...

+1

When you pass your A test now you can spend a happy 2 years on the 125 scooter and go straight to anything you want.

I don't think they will let you out on the test on a 125 bike, as you've booked an A test and the chance of the tester letting you out for an A1 depends on the moon phase:D.

The quickest way to find out is to call the RSA and ask them, they have been very helpfull and quick to respond to any questions I've had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 smblott

Thanks for the responses.

To (preliminarily) answer my own question for the record ...

I couldn't get through to the RSA, so dropped by Finglas test centre yesterday. Spoke to somebody who took my driving license and RSA letter into the back and emerged a few minutes later to assert confidently that I could indeed show up with an A1 vehicle and be tested for an A1 license.

As to the advice to go for Category A anyway. Well, it's certainly good advice, but the lessons I would need are expensive. My mistake, in retrospect, was not to buy a geared bike eight months ago.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

smblott wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses.

As to the advice to go for Category A anyway. Well, it's certainly good advice, but the lessons I would need are expensive. My mistake, in retrospect, was not to buy a geared bike eight months ago.

Thanks again.

If you're use to a scooter already then a couple of hours worth of lessons on a geared bike should be enough time to get use to shifting gears, and maybe a pre-test before your actual test. Seems a shame to be restricted to automatics for the sake of a couple of hours.

Out of interest, how long where you waiting for your test from applying to getting a date. I still haven't applied for mine yet, was just wondering about waiting times in Finglas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 smblott

I applied in early April, test late June.

I took one lesson on a geared bike. I found that everything I do routinely went out the window when I was concentrating on changing gears. For example, coming out of a turn you're shifting up just at the time you need also to cancel the indicator. I never forget to cancel normally, but just couldn't remember on the geared bike. So I figure I may need, say, 4 lessons at 140 Euro a pop, and even then the chance of failing on the geared bike would be way higher than failing on my own scooter.

The bottom line is that having an A license now would be a luxury. A year ago I could have happily thrown money at the problem. Can't do that now.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

smblott wrote: »
    I applied in early April, test late June.

I took one lesson on a geared bike. I found that everything I do routinely went out the window when I was concentrating on changing gears. For example, coming out of a turn you're shifting up just at the time you need also to cancel the indicator. I never forget to cancel normally, but just couldn't remember on the geared bike. So I figure I may need, say, 4 lessons at 140 Euro a pop, and even then the chance of failing on the geared bike would be way higher than failing on my own scooter.

I know exactly what you mean about the gears and indicating. So many little things to be done in sequence you forget half of it while panicking coming up to a bend. I was exactly the same when I got my lesson. I thought your man was off his head when he start putting cones out and telling me to stop at the line, move off, indicate, knock indicator off etc. I was just getting use to stopping any where within a 20 foot radius and now he wanted straight lines, stop at a specific point and get the gears and indicating right. I was concentrating so much on shifting down, then thinking, what next, break? clutch? break? turn? ... the indicator was overload what with all the gear shifting and breaking. If I did remember to indicate and knock it off it was at the expense of using the clutch or something.

The point is though, after a few times doing it it becomes second nature and you don't even think about it. by the end of my lesson I had everything right where as at the start of the lesson I was panicking trying to remember all the sequences.

I wouldn't say you need 4 lessons, especially after having one already. You'll find you will pick it up very easy the next time out.(Trust me, I remember well that "WTF" feeling when getting use to shifting gears. At this stage it's probably best to do what you're comfortable with for the test but don't be put off geared bikes after the test. One more lesson on a geared bike then a quiet sunday afternoon in an empty industrial estate and you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.

Advertisement