Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pictures and memories from old Galway

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

This is actually a decent site for looking at Old Galway pictures. Couldn't find any from the 80's or 90's but none the less found it interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

smyths was in woodquay apos the car wash used to be a jet garage there aswell and before smyths was hughes bike shop, smyths started off in eglington st where matt o'flahertys is now, and apos smyths on eglington st beside the savoy was one fine takeaway called super burger

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Sea Devils wrote: »
    This is actually a decent site for looking at Old Galway pictures. Couldn't find any from the 80's or 90's but none the less found it interesting

jesus look at the old bish school magazines , gona have a read through .. will probly find loads my m8's ould fellas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

awhir wrote: »
    jesus look at the old bish school magazines

He is missing a year or two, pretty sure it ran till about 92 before the issue that went to far.....Photo of 5 empty chairs captioned "The Pres Fan Club, Full attendance" classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

kayos wrote: »
    He is missing a year or two, pretty sure it ran till about 92 before the issue that went to far.....Photo of 5 empty chairs captioned "The Pres Fan Club, Full attendance" classic.

ah yes, i remember it well....

the whole editorial board lined up outside the office waiting for Bro Marcus to read them the riot act...that was my first year, the rest of my time in the bish went by without any resurgence....its demise was a great loss!

• Advertisement

ah yes, i remember it well....

the whole editorial board lined up outside the office waiting for Bro Marcus to read them the riot act...that was my first year, the rest of my time in the bish went by without any resurgence....its demise was a great loss!

“Lads would you ever just pick up the lihher!”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭serfboard

Do any of the schools in Galway have school magazines now?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

kayos wrote: »
    I have one here, I think it's the 1992 one. Must try and dig it out.

When I was doing my Leaving, a few fellow co-conspirators and I were in awe with the Bombshell and wanted to make something similar. The plan never got off the ground, sadly.

Robbo wrote: »
    I have one here, I think it's the 1992 one. Must try and dig it out.

Yup that would have been the last one I think, was in first year back then... Hard to remember back that far lol.

Think the issue of 92 burnt every bridge in terms of the chance of the students having a free reign on things again. The "year book" they replaced the bombshell with was no subsitute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

serfboard wrote: »
    Do any of the schools in Galway have school magazines now?

St. Enda's have The Endapendent every year since the 80's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Early-70's. Does anybody remember the footpath grates on High St and Quay St where you could look down to basements?

I also have vivid memories of human sh*&% on same footpaths in Quay St early in the mornings........

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Early-70's. Does anybody remember the footpath grates on High St and Quay St where you could look down to basements?

I also have vivid memories of human sh*&% on same footpaths in Quay St early in the mornings........
    yep t'was same at the Cellar...Buses stopped there as well, Renmore, Merlin Park etc...

No forgetting the famous Chinese Restaurant across from St. Pats, they used to have a big tray of chipped potatoes left outside the kitchen door. And every dog that passed lifted da auld leg :eek:
    There was a mega row there one night, when we were going to school in the morning the place was in bits...something to do with Salmon, or the lack of payment for same...That was around 1972-73 I think...

If I remember right it was 5P to get into the Savoy for a film on a sunday, the film used to roll over and start again, so ya just changed seats and made like ya only just came in... :)

Back then when the Exorcist played in the town hall they had the St Johns ambulance on standby, as some people fainted :)

And when Mandingo hit the Claddagh Palace there was a bunch of auld 1's outside saying the Rosary saying Ye'll all burn in Hell.
    This was because a Black slave in the film was making merry with a white woman :eek:...

Every now and then someone used to change the lettering outside the cinema to read something else. The most famous one being seven Brides for seven brothers, was changed to read Seven Rides for Seven brothers..:D there were others, but not as good..

Incidentally going to the Townhall back then was fraught with danger, it was full of fleas:eek:

The last film I saw there was kelly's Heroes...I'm still scratching...

Anybody remember the year the Corrib froze over?? We were living in Woodquay at the time 1969-70 I think...We brought up great big chunks and had a Mega slide at the back of the Townhall:)

Back then it was safe to play in the Plotts, now its full of Drunks & Druggies, We used to get big cardboard boxes and slide down the hill :D, better than any big slide...

Biggest thing the happend back then was the Fire in Corbetts, started down in McDonaghs..Just about every firebrigade in the west was there, it was some fire. Every now and then a gas cylinder exploded and flew up into the sky...A few days later a wrecking Ball arrived and flattened Corbetts..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

There was photos of that fire in the BOI at the bottom of eyre square, not sure where they are gone now that its closed, possibly moved to the BOI at the top of Eyre square.
    Also there is an aerial photo of salthill from back in the early eightis in the BOI in salthill.

Also there is an aerial photo of salthill from back in the early eightis in the BOI in salthill.

There is a lovely late-60's one on wall of that coffee/sandwich bar (will edit in name when I remember) beside Eddie Rockets in Wellpark Centre.

Originally Posted by axiom32 View Post
    on Threadneedle rd opp tennis club

Hogan's

Willie Hogan is opposite present Salerno gates.

Early 70's, the Craughwell's had a shop opposite gates of Tennis Club, Mr Codd took it over, but then moved to Bearna shop (now net cafe) at left of Oasis and his bicycle shop where hardware store is in Salthill.

Roddy Halloran had sweetshop opposite Enda's gate.

Remember the looper with the Irish flag pins outside Woolworth's?

..................and remember....................... remember the cow in the Jes' staff room :D

There's one for the cold-case squad!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

And don't forget Mrs Powell and her horse...I think she ended up living in the Rahoon flats...

I remember going thru Corrib Park in the AM on my way home, the front door of a house I passed had a Horse tied to the bottom of the stairs...:D that was about 1980..

I've seen the pictures of the fire in Corbetts, brought back a lot of memories of the big event..back then as a young lad seeing so many fire engines was Mega...

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Willie Hogan is opposite present Salerno gates.

Early 70's, the Craughwell's had a shop opposite gates of Tennis Club, Mr Codd took it over, but then moved to Bearna shop (now net cafe) at left of Oasis and his bicycle shop where hardware store is in Salthill.

Roddy Halloran had sweetshop opposite Enda's gate.

Remember the looper with the Irish flag pins outside Woolworth's?

..................and remember....................... remember the cow in the Jes' staff room :D

There's one for the cold-case squad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Anyone remember PJ Ruane and his horse? I still see him around, though without the horse.

No joking, but he didn't qualify for a waste collection permit, so does odd bits for waste collectors.

Plus, the story is the old nag died at the back of his house, had to be cut up to be taken through the house! He's a great man, one of the good ould shtock

churchview wrote: »
    Plus, the story is the old nag died at the back of his house, had to be cut up to be taken through the house! He's a great man, one of the good ould shtock

His appearance hasn't changed in 20 years.

• Advertisement

Anyone remember when Salthill was FULL of nightclubs?

Oasis.
    Rumours.
    Saphires.
    The Oz.
    Hilltop.
    Twiggs,
    The Castle.
    Whispers.
    CJ's.
    Francie's.
    Cavern.

All of them were always busy too.

Also, Feeney's Shop.
    Kamal's Chipper.
    Bake N' Take.
    Del Rios.
    Beefeaters.
    Treasure Island.
    Silver Dollar.
    Big Ark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Xenophon

Hi,

Does anyone remember when the Silver Dollar changed to become Caesar's Palace (about 1989). And for about 2 weeks the sign read CEASAR'S PALACE, until some bright spark noticed the typo?

And as for all the nightclubs that used to be in Salthill! I used to work part-time in the Hilltop in the late 80s - it's hard to believe there was a nightclub there looking at it now. And it used to be packed every night during the summer, just like the rest of Salthill.

I used to be a bit of a gamer, and they had the I-Robot video game in the Silver Dollar, one of the first 3D arcade games, on the edge of the roller rink. We used to play Mr. Do, Star Wars and Defender in Claudes, and Gorf and Galaxians in the Big Arc. I also worked in the arcade in Leisureland, where we could clock up credits on one of the first moving sit-in machines, AfterBurner. Seapoint had Tempest, Popeye and one of the last Space Invaders machines in Galway. And in town, we'd play Gauntlet, Tron, Bomb Jack and Millipede in Eglinton Street.

Someone mentioned the Farah fire in Shantalla - I've got an old photo of that somewhere taken from my bedroom window. Must root it out.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

my friends dad owns caesars palace, among many other things. I think he only heads down like twice a year to check up on it, who ever he has managing the place must be really trust worthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Anyone any pics of the old Rahoon flats?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Looks to me like the entire Eyre Square redevelopment was a waste of time and money.

Looks to me that all they did was chop down the trees.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Anyone any pics of the old Rahoon flats?
    There's some vids on Youtube including one that was made by some residents interviewing people who'd lived there just before they were due to be knocked.
    dafunk wrote: »
    Looks to me that all they did was chop down the trees.
    They dug most of the square up for works on the pipes. And then there was the cowboys that were hired and the subsequent mess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

I remember going thru Corrib Park in the AM on my way home, the front door of a house I passed had a Horse tied to the bottom of the stairs...biggrin.gif that was about 1980..

yep thats fact she was an old traveller woman the corpo tried to house but it was far from a house she was reared ....she broke up all the floorboards upstairs for firewood then the stairs and so on till no timber was left finnally she moved out ....i think theres a picture of her on the wall in McDonaghs fish shop or her bag with some buttons an stuff on it .....and to keep on topic she may even be Noras mother/aunt

I just spoke to one of the McDonagh's about her a few weeks ago. The buttons on the bag have some symbolism, I ca't remember what, I'll find out. Was her name Biddy Ward?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

TBH I'd fill the park in, put the railings back up surrounding it and make it a much nicer place than the open wasteland that it is now. Its utterly uninspiring and plain thesedays, would look much better as a well maintained garden as it was when the railings were still up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Advertisement