Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Name my Tarantula for me!!!!!!!!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Originally posted by D nominater

Also to the person who said that if a tarantualla could survive having it's poison glands removed they would grow back, how do you know that?

Firstly I never said that its poison glands would grow back I said that if its Fangs were removed then they would grow back at its next moult.
    There is documented cases where a Tarantula will loose a fang if it eats too soon after a moult(the tarantulas exoskeleton and fangs are soft and pliable for about a week after a moult)and the fang will grow back next moult.This is one reason why Tarantulas are not supposed to be fed for about 10 days after a moult.
    Also to remove a Tarantulas poison glands would involve opening up its exoskeleton which is fatal to a tarantula.Terrestrial tarantulas can burst their exoskeleton from a fall as low as 10cm.And if this happens its nearly always fatal unless the rupture is sealed and most enthuasists use super glue to seal the breach if caught in time.
    All of the above are explained in depth in " The Tarantula keepers guide"By Shultz and Shultz.

Richie.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Originally posted by D nominater
    by the way: I heard that some of the everday harmless spiders running around the place actually have deadly venom, but their fangs can't pierce human skin (plus they don't go round biting people anyway).

ok ok okk ookok ok:confused::( :cool: :eek: eek:confused::o:(;):D:o

Thats actually true.One of the most deadly venoms in spiders is found in the spider that people call the Daddy Long legs.If it could pierce skin then there would be fatalaties.
    And By the way Tarantulas dont go round biting people.Biting is their last line of defence.They use itching hairs(mentioned earlier)And sometimes will even lose multiple limbs on purpose like lizards tails to escape BEFORE biting.
    Richie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

One of the most deadly venoms in spiders is found in the spider that people call the Daddy Long legs

I knew I heard that somewhere before. I mentioned it to a few mates and was laughed out of the room.

Thanks Ritche :D I knew I wasn't going mad.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Sorry to drag this up.
    Intresting topic to read - where abouts did you get your pet?
    How old was it when you got her?
    where abouts did you get this spider?
    Really intrested in getting one myself. does it need a big cage? roughly lenth + width
    Are you able to take the spider out of its cage and let it rome around a room, to see how it acts about? :)
    appreacated Hellrazer.

Originally posted by Lenny
    Sorry to drag this up.
    Intresting topic to read - where abouts did you get your pet?
    How old was it when you got her?
    where abouts did you get this spider?
    Really intrested in getting one myself. does it need a big cage? roughly lenth + width
    Are you able to take the spider out of its cage and let it rome around a room, to see how it acts about? :)
    appreacated Hellrazer.

Lenny,
    Ive 2 now.A pinktoe and a Brazilian Black.The two were only spiderlings when I got them.About 2 inch legspan.They are now 4 inches and 6 inches respectively.The Brazilian doesnt really need a big cage since its a ground dweller.I use an old fish tank which is 12"high 20" long and 9 " deep.The Pink toe is an arboreal( tree dweller) and needs more height than length.Its cage is one I made from plexiglass and is 2 foot(h) x 1 foot x1foot.
    I got both of them in Reptile Haven in Fishamble street.They are a little bit expensive at about 40 € each.

You cant really take them out of their cage and let them run around as they are masters of escape.You let the pinktoe out and it`ll be walking on the ceiling in seconds(they are really quick those arboreals).You can handle both of these Tarantulas but I dont handle them that much--Be careful as all tarantulas bite but these two are not really dangerous.There is a care sheet stickied at the top of the Forum.By the way----There is another petshop on the quays called Boardwalk pets who has the Classic Tarantula in stock----The redknee---The one thats in most films and used on TV.Im thinking of buying one in the next week or so.
    Richie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

As a matter of interest.

How long do they actually live for?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Thanks for the info Hell, I had read your other topic after reading this one, Which Was uite helpful,
    Can you not let these tWo tarantula's live together, you say masters of escape.. but yet you said they aren't that fast movers
    so yea could do a lock doWn on the room they're in if planning on letting out for a roam? :)

Originally posted by Washout
    As a matter of interest.

How long do they actually live for?

Males live for 2-9 years and females can live for anything up to 40 years in captivity.

Lenny,
    You cant keep more than one tarantula per cage as you would end up up with one very fat tarantula the next morning
    they are hugely cannibalistic.Small spiderlings of 2 species Avicularia(pink toes) and The Indian Pokies mentioned in the other post can live in groups up to about 2.5 inches legspan----after this they start eating each other.

In theory if you had a completely empty room with no furniture you could let them wander.Bear in mind that if you had a 6 inch Tarantula this could fit into a space about 1 inch across.

I said masters of escape but the arboreals are like lightning.They can actually jump about 6 feet from tree to tree or wall to wall due to the fine hair on them they actually glide.The Ground dwellers are a slower but can still climb.Although a fall of a few inches can kill them.

Richie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

I must go down to fishamble street and have a look, by the way where are you going to get the mice??? Do they have to be live mice? Do you get a chase going on in the cage?

Originally posted by bug
    I must go down to fishamble street and have a look, by the way where are you going to get the mice??? Do they have to be live mice? Do you get a chase going on in the cage?

The mice are bought frozen as 2 day old babies.As far as I know its illegal to feed live mammals as food over here.
    And its only the largest of Tarantulas(7 inch leg span+)that will eat a live mouse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I probably missed the post but have you named it yet?

How about DeV?
    Or its full name DeVore- Bastard operator from hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Fred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

Fluffy-McFang
    or Fangy-McFluff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

MILLHOUSE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i've always like the name loki for a pet, for some reason i never got round to calling any of mine by it.

prolly call my next pet/pc that (whichever comes first:rolleyes:)

For any one whos interested heres a pic of one of the contenders for title of the largest Tarantula in the world.
    Arachnophobics beware:

http://brumtarantulas.users.btopenworld.com/pinkskin.jpg

Picture: Copyright of Rich in Brum-Tarantulas.
    Thanks rich.

Richie.

Advertisement