Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AUDI - Reasonable Mechanics

• 05-01-2011 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I own a Diesel Audi a6 (06) and recently had some electric problems with it which my regular mechanic couldn't care for as he didn't have the audi diagnostics.
    So I used the audi service centre in sandyford industrial estate.
    They seemed good but very very expensive...1700 euro for a service and parts (only 700 of this is parts).
    Does anyone know a reasonable audi mechanic with audi diagnostic equipment in the dublin area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭frank gooding

MKW motors in baldonell ind estate are the local bosch agents.
    http://www.mkwmotors.boschauto.co.uk/

They can diagnose and install software updates.

Keith is a genius when it comes to diagnosing awkward problems that leave most mechanics stumped.

014595266 They are just off the naas road kingswood exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

duncanjo wrote: »
    I own a Diesel Audi a6 (06) and recently had some electric problems with it which my regular mechanic couldn't care for as he didn't have the audi diagnostics.
    They seemed good but very very expensive...1700 euro for a service and parts (only 700 of this is parts).
    Does anyone know a reasonable audi mechanic with audi diagnostic equipment in the dublin area.

Ugghh... audi just uses ODB-II afaik, anyone with a laptop + cable can read the codes from it (VAGcom)

Audi/Skoda/VW/Seat all share the same stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Gerard Lee Motors off Kill Avenue in Dun Laoghaire.

Can be pricey but not as expensive as Audi Sandyford

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭podgee

redman wrote: »

Highly recommended. Good guys and know their stuff. I can't compare them to Audi Sandyford as I haven't used that new facility yet. But by comparison to Pottery Road, their rates are more than fair in my view.

P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

redman wrote: »

Can be pricey but not as expensive as Audi Sandyford

Really - rang for a quote and got a bad vibe off the place. He told me not to buy a vag diesel with over 100k miles ?? Every car Ive ever purchased had at least 100k miles, 2 being VAGs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Out of interest, what did you get done for the 1700. Im hoping that there was a new fly wheel involved at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Gerard Lee Motors used to be known as Jetstar, and they were generally highly-regarded. Of recent times their service has deteriorated to the point where i'd avoid them at all costs.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Gerard Lee Motors used to be known as Jetstar, and they were generally highly-regarded. Of recent times their service has deteriorated to the point where i'd avoid them at all costs.

Not been my experience at all to be honest - have used them quite a bit in 2010 and very satisfied. (No connection to them BTW).

P.

podgee wrote: »
    Not been my experience at all to be honest - have used them quite a bit in 2010 and very satisfied. (No connection to them BTW).

P.
    It might just have been bad luck on my part, but here are my two recent experiences:

Brought an Audi A8 for service, noticed on collection that the handbrake still needed adjustment. Was told that the handbrake was non-adjustable, that the only way to reduce travel was to replace the rear pads at significant cost. Went home, googled how to adjust the handbrake, brought the car back and they did it. No apology or explanation, it was clear from their manner that they'd been caught lying.

Second time I sent a female friend up with a Golf for a TB replacement. They had already quoted her a very high price. Before sending her up I called them and agreed a far more reasonable price. On her way to collect the car the following day she called them, only to hear that they'd done no work. They hadn't checked whether the car had a/c, had ordered the wrong TB kit, and hadn't bothered to call to save her a trip across the city in rush hour with a young child.

Up to the OP, but those were my experiences.:)

podgee wrote: »
    But by comparison to Pottery Road, their rates are more than fair in my view.
    They could be half the price and four times as good as MSL and still be sh1te.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Dublindigi

I've got 2 Audi A4s and a VW , and I've given up on them all, particularly MSL, Pottery Rd. They wanted €150 just to tell me what problem was with the aircon on the VW,,ffs...,lost the bolts from engine and undertray and screwed electrics up, hard to believe for a main dealer .
    Ive found it worthwhile now to go to Belfast and get the jobs done properly and at a very reasonable cost with Eugene Walsh of Walsh Motors http://www.walshmotors.co.uk/ 048 90627574.
    See the prices on website, he really knows his stuff and is very good with the diagnostics and has fixed problems for me that I could not get sorted in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

They could be half the price and four times as good as MSL and still be sh1te.;)

Thats true. Google is brilliant at finding answers for problems. Sometimes you end up back here.:) What year is your A8? Have you still got her. I miss my one. Fantastic car.

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Thats true. Google is brilliant at finding answers for problems. Sometimes you end up back here.:) What year is your A8? Have you still got her. I miss my one. Fantastic car.
    It was a 99 (facelift) 4.2. Great cars, my brother bought it, I bought it from him, then sold it back to him - he still has it.:)

It was a 99 (facelift) 4.2. Great cars, my brother bought it, I bought it from him, then sold it back to him - he still has it.:)

They are a great machine allright. I had a 3.0 TDI (07). I am buying another Lux this year though.:) Sorry Mods for O/T.

That made me laugh - you are so right on that.

It might just have been bad luck on my part, but here are my two recent experiences:

Brought an Audi A8 for service, noticed on collection that the handbrake still needed adjustment. Was told that the handbrake was non-adjustable, that the only way to reduce travel was to replace the rear pads at significant cost. Went home, googled how to adjust the handbrake, brought the car back and they did it. No apology or explanation, it was clear from their manner that they'd been caught lying.

Second time I sent a female friend up with a Golf for a TB replacement. They had already quoted her a very high price. Before sending her up I called them and agreed a far more reasonable price. On her way to collect the car the following day she called them, only to hear that they'd done no work. They hadn't checked whether the car had a/c, had ordered the wrong TB kit, and hadn't bothered to call to save her a trip across the city in rush hour with a young child.

Up to the OP, but those were my experiences.:)

Not nice experiences particularly trucking across town with a child. I genuinely haven't had any issues with them though and found them very good - having said that, I was coming from a low base in terms of expectations after suffering at the hands of Pottery Road.

P

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Kingchip

There's a bloke out in Bray he used to work for Ger Lee/Jetstar and went out on his own. I was given his number off a rep for grange motors who highly recommended him.

Delighted with the service, my van $hit itself over christmas and he organised recovery. Needed a new gearbox, he lent me a van to keep me going while it was getting done.

If you want his number PM me.

Not affiliated in anyway just happy to pass on his number as there's not many that would look after you like that especially over christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

I've used McNamara's Bosch centre in Nottingham Street (Dublin 3) on my 2007 A6 twice now. Very happy with the work & price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 duncanjo

mickdw wrote: »
    Out of interest, what did you get done for the 1700. Im hoping that there was a new fly wheel involved at least.
    the biggest thing was the front disks and brake pads..

changed the filters and topped up all the fluids.

Rear wiper arm

the biggest thing was the front disks and brake pads..

changed the filters and topped up all the fluids.

Rear wiper arm
    oh yeah...I forgot to say...

Of the 1700 euro bill nearly 900 of this is labour. Even though they only had the car for one single day...I figure they must have put a crew of top experts on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

oh yeah...I forgot to say...

Of the 1700 euro bill nearly 900 of this is labour. Even though they only had the car for one single day...I figure they must have put a crew of top experts on it

900 on labour! - what are they charging 200 quid and hour. Suppose that shiny, new building needs to be paid for some way. Crazy pricing - bought an E39 for less than that service :D

bf wrote: »
    I've used McNamara's Bosch centre in Nottingham Street (Dublin 3) on my 2007 A6 twice now. Very happy with the work & price
    It's going to sound like i'm just a grumpy old git here, but I once gave them a Peugeot 406 that refused to start and it took them €1000 and a year to repair the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

voxpop wrote: »
    900 on labour! - what are they charging 200 quid and hour. Suppose that shiny, new building needs to be paid for some way. Crazy pricing - bought an E39 for less than that service :D

€135 per hour, with no guarantee that they will fix, or indeed do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It's going to sound like i'm just a grumpy old git here, but I once gave them a Peugeot 406 that refused to start and it took them €1000 and a year to repair the car!

Jebus!

Bad thing is they took a year to fix the car but there hourly rate must be deadly cheap. 1000 euro for a years work...:D

So This story gets better....

This week we had some heavy rain that flooded into my car soaking the carpets...and guess what it knocked out the mmi system...in fact in knocked out the audio controller...same part I had just gotten replaced.

When I looked under the hood I noticed the water ducks were completely blocaked with leaves and the water had flooded over the bulkhead...so I brought the car back to the audo service centre who...

said that the leak is a new problem and thus not covered...that investigating the leak cost 2 hours work ---307 euro
    and that they could fix it but it would require a new controller which I'd have to pay for AGAIN!!!

I argued that cleaning the ducts is part of a full service (especially a 1650 euro service) but to no avail.

I'm going elsewhere.

Never again. Incompetent, expensive and unreliable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭AzureAuto

Brought a customer's Golf to MSL Pottery Road problem was an egine management light being illuminated because a of a Catalyrtic Converter efficiency code. Had done an emissions test and tested both lambda sensors, checked engine etc for blockages air leaks, everything ok. Concluded tha a software update would be the way forward.
    Asked service manager to perrform said update. He says that it defnitely doesnt need an update (without looking at it, mystic meg style), and after an hour inspection (i.e. they plugged a compter just like mine in and pulled the code 30 secs later) at a cost of E125, they inform me that car will need brand new CAT and both lambda sensors replaced at a cost of E2000.
    I inqired whether the technicain could justify the CAT being at fault given the bang on emissions results and the good waveforms drawn from testing two lambda sensors.
    'Urrrr.., the computer says CAT'.
    'Did you do any tests at all for that 125 euro?'
    'Oh yes sir, we plugged the computer in, the code says...'
    'I know what the code says, I told you that before you started. Would you mind doing a software update. Seems to me you dont have a clue, and you are covering all angles just as a KwikFit fitter might, not a VW Master Technician'.
    'I can do, it will be another two hours labour at a cost of...'
    'Er, no'.
    To cut a long and painful story short i managed to wangle the requested pdate out of him for the same price as the initial hours labour. The customer was delighted as the light has stayed off since.
    Avoid at all costs

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BeardyFunzo

I got my diesel 05A4 serviced at Park Motors, navan road last summer. Can't remember the exact figure but it was about €600 for a long life service.

No complaints out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 raycass

howya I rang MSL Pottery Rd last week looking for a price for 60000klm service on an 09 A4 TDI, they gave me a quote of E380 and also said they are losing the Audi dealership (at last) they can’t cover warranty issues or update the software and still want E380, you would think they would cop-on ! and then they wonder why they are losing the dealership !!, MSL pottery Rd are a shower of robbers the sooner it closes the better teach all them lads in cheap suites a lesson. Aftersales my ass. Robbers more like E120 an hour labour. Well done Audi about time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

+1 on the go north idea.... or closer to the border at least!

eg: Timing belt + service on my 06 Passat....

VW Enniskillen - €700 (yes euro)
    VW Drogheda - €850 (incl a hire car for the day)
    VW Castleknock - €1200!!!!! (€95 ex-VAT per hour)

Now granted this is going back about 18 months ago, but even last week the prices up in Enniskillen were cheaper - £129/€145 for a service vs €189 in Drogheda (which I would have thought was ok)

I hope to never have to go near a garage here again for non-warranty servicing - even if it worked out closer in price I'd still go up as I find them a lot nicer, more accomodating and more professional to deal with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement