Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TrackIR

• 19-07-2009 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone got one? Any good or overrated? Is turning away from the screen annoying? Good investment? Where to buy? All the other questions, etc etc...........

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 desk

I don't have one yet and I'm trying to convince myself I don't want to spend the money but I do really, in my search for somewhere to actually buy the thing the best i can find is this site:

https://sslrelay.com/www.rcsimulations.co.uk/sess/utn;jsessionid=154a637a0fdac11/shopdata/index.shopscript which is a uk crowd linked from the naturalpoint site also there was this german crowd which was mentioned in an arma thread:
    http://shop.strato.de/epages/61191565.sf/seccxgMQ6IbFPs/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61191565/Products/210

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

I have one but mainly use it for flight sims.
    For those type of games it's a must have imho.

For arma it takes a while to get used to and some fiddling of settings but yeah it works very well.

You don't actually turn away from the screen. The sensitivity can be fully adjusted to suit the individual so the movement of your head is exagerated in game.

I bought direct from Natural point and have the 4th generation model. Actually have the 1st or 2nd gen one lying around somewhere in the house so if anybody is thinking of trying it out I can let ye borrow it (Dublin/Kildare area) or can buy for a small price.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rollie

its 125 GBP which isnt chunck change, but this Dslyecxi guy does make an excellent case for it....Maybe i should just buy my birthday present earlier this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I think I'll get one when I get my next paycheck at the end of the month, it should be easy enough to sell again if I don't like it or find it akward

Ordered the TrackIR 5 and TrackClip PRO set 2day with the Vector upgrade kit for a TrackIR 3 for a mate. Shipping is $50. Hopefully the Customs won't get hold of it and charge excise. I'll keep ye posted

• Advertisement

you wont regret it Pog :)

Sorry for being absent but mad busy in work, I will be back for more team killing tank action mid Sept though.

FFS.
    I ordered this sat, it was shipped on mon, it was making record time across the world.........that is, until it got to the stupid fcukin amateurs in Ireland. I don't live in a remote spot, I live in a town on the the N5, one of our National Primary routes, the main Dublin road from Castlebar. WTF?

89682.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Dublin.

you should live there :D

Truth of the matter is they are closing their Irish depot because it can't find multi-lingual staff in Ireland.
    http://www.herald.ie/world-news/delivery-firm-cuts-200-jobs-1867162.html

FFS, check the dole offices nationwide, full of highly educated people, what a lame excuse.

Hopefully this will come by fri, even better tomorrow

It arrived this morn, got hit with a customs bill :(

I'm too busy playin to report, brb..................

• Advertisement

Ok, this is cool but takes alot of getting used to. For the first while, until You get Your head steadied up that is, it can be quite nauseous but You soon get used to it.

Whats more annoying is that I don't usually wear a headset or headphones and I'm using the missis' headband on my head to attact the track clip pro to :D Its much more accurate than the cheaper reflector clip for a cap that it came with also

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭FrDougalMcguire

Trackir used with with video eyewear is like Virtual Reality. If you have the means you must try it!!!

I'm just after a full evening tweaking and getting my deadzones set the just way I like them. You really need to play on default settings for a while and then see what annoys You, For me it was the constant zooming, but once I sorted a little deadzone in the centre with the software it eased that. It is a little harsh on the eyes at first, even nauseous. The software is very easy to use once You got the hang of it, I just copied the default profile, renamed it and started tweaking. You can set the software to launch different profiles with different games. The software runs in the background, its easy to alt+tab out and quickly adjust a setting as You play.

I gotta say its definitely a worthwhile investment, my gameplay has improved. It adds a great deal to the game, I'm scanning around constantly and the lean left and right just got a while lot easier and smoother. For the first while You forget which direction Your gun is facing, but You soon learn.

I've also tried it with the only other game I have that supports it, Grid, I've not got FSX installed at the moment. It works well, allows You to peep ahead around corners like in a real car or look in the rear view mirrors :D

Glad I made the investment, would advise anyone else considering buying to not hesitate if You got the cash, but buy in the UK as You'll get screwed by customs otherwise. Also get the Track Clip Pro, its much more accurate than the Track Clip that goes on the peak of a cap and it allows You play in daylight, Track Clip has just got reflectors which need dim lighting. I'm still using a nice sparkly womans hairband for my Track Clip Pro as I don't use headphones or a headset, I've also added a clip to the cable, to clip to my t-shirt, to take the tension off the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I'm still using a nice sparkly womans hairband for my Track Clip Pro

Photo please? :D

The incremental lean looks great (it's not possible to do that without TrackIR?), but I don't like how you have to look at the screen out of the corner of your eye when you look to the side. If you're wearing glasses that instantly makes the screen go double vision!

But hey, if De Niro from Deer Hunter is using it in the video there, I'm sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

would this work ok with a 3 monitor set up? it might justify the head movements more. I like the work Johnny Lee is doing with the wii

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

I don't like how you have to look at the screen out of the corner of your eye when you look to the side. If you're wearing glasses that instantly makes the screen go double vision!

You don't, the movements are exaggerated, with a 24 inch widescreen monitor I just turn about 10' to the edge of the screen, this gives around 90' ingame. When u turn You concentrate on that half of the monitor, what You're looking at is exactly in Your vision. It was something I was wondering before I bought, but its not an issue, might be an issue with a small non-widescreen monitor though.

hmm something odd.

trackir.jpg

nothing else running and its using half my Cpu , explains the Arma 2 **** performance.

Buy a quad

Something deffo wrong there tho, You update the software to latest version?
    http://www.naturalpoint.com/update/index.html?user_version=5.0.300&user_product=TrackIR5

Buy a quad

swap ya a trackir 5 for one :D

Get the latest software then reboot so it launches as a service
    http://www.naturalpoint.com/update/index.html?user_version=5.0.300&user_product=TrackIR5

• Advertisement

The TrackIR5 version you are using is : 5.0.300
    The most recent TrackIR5 version available is : 5.0.300

posted on their forums, must be something windows 7 related.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

dreamers75 wrote: »
    swap ya a trackir 5 for one :D

Swap Track IR for Q6600 :D

And Pog you don't know the stepping

Swap Track IR for Q6600 :D

And Pog you don't know the stepping

I'll have a q6600 for sale on sun, stepping don't matter at all unless You oc'ing

Edit, I'll try selling it in a pc first

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I'll have a q6600 for sale on sun, stepping don't matter at all unless You oc'ing

Edit, I'll try selling it in a pc first

How much you think a Q6600 is worth, if I want to flog it.

They go for around 80-100 on adverts, depends on stepping, g0 100, b3 80ish

I need to upgrade kids pc, pog what you selling ?

Not sure yet, bought this for watercooling & case, collecting sat:
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=239757

Gonna have the makings of a pc with leftovers once I move my stuff into that case, wanna try shift the pc in one go as i need the cash, if not stuff will be goin in bits. Have lots of other stuff here lying around

Windows 7 and Track IR here too and it should not cause that much overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭madmarco245

Grand for me, no problems.

• Advertisement

Advertisement