Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quinn Direct's "Driving Other Cars Extension"

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

My August 2007 and August 2008 QD policies make no mention of being over 25 (and I'm not), but state that I can drive other vehicles if their own policy allows.

Do the company actually HAVE a consistent policy on this?

From the online version of the policy:

"Driving other cars
    If your certificate of insurance says so, we will also cover you, the
    policyholder, for your liability to other people while you are driving
    any other private motor car which you do not own or have not
    hired under a hire-purchase or lease agreement, as long as:
    1 the vehicle is not owned by your employer or hired to them
    under a hire-purchase or lease agreement;
    2 you currently hold a full European Union (EU) licence;
    3 the use of the vehicle is covered in the certificate of
    insurance;
    4 cover is not provided by any other insurance;
    5 you have the owner’s permission to drive the vehicle;
    6 the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition; and
    7 you still have your vehicle and it has not been damaged
    beyond cost-effective repair."

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

MYOB wrote: »

Do the company actually HAVE a consistent policy on this?

I think that people here are mixing up "Open Drive" and "Drive other cars" which is causing the problem rather than Quinn...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

What is actually the difference between open drive and drive other cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭lynchie

AFAIK, open drive allows anybody with a license to drive your vehicle even if they DONT have their own insurance policy with your consent of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

"Open drive" or "drive other cars":confused:

I was under the impression that you had to be at least 25 for open drive regardless of the policy, i know neither Axa, Quinn or Tesco gave me open drive but have had drive other cars with all 3

Apologies yes I meant I can drive other cars on 3rd Party basis under my own policy. Others can drive my car but that would be under their policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Ah f3ck, so i can't drive a van. Pity lol.

Just someone clear this. I can basically drive anything passenger, as long as i have permission from the owner. Insured regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

With regard to driving uninsured cars under your own policy's "driving other cars" provisions, I would be a little nervous about getting stung for not displaying insurance on the car. Anyone got any idea what the legal situation would be with regard to this?

Ah f3ck, so i can't drive a van. Pity lol.

Just someone clear this. I can basically drive anything passenger, as long as i have permission from the owner. Insured regardless.

From the QD Policy Document:

Driving other cars
    If your certificate of insurance says so, we will also cover you, the
    policyholder, for your liability to other people while you are driving
    any other private motor car which you do not own or have not
    hired under a hire-purchase or lease agreement, as long as:
    1 the vehicle is not owned by your employer or hired to them
    under a hire-purchase or lease agreement;
    2 you currently hold a full European Union (EU) licence;
    3 the use of the vehicle is covered in the certificate of
    insurance;
    4 cover is not provided by any other insurance;
    5 you have the owner’s permission to drive the vehicle;
    6 the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition; and
    7 you still have your vehicle and it has not been damaged
    beyond cost-effective repair.

This extension applies while being driven within the territorial
    limits and only to private passenger vehicles. It does not include:
    • vans;
    • car-vans;
    • jeep-type vehicles with no seats in the back; or
    • vans adapted to carry passengers.

The above says 'If your certificate of insurance says so'.

The cert of insurance says:

'The policyholder, if they have a full EU license, may also drive, with the permission of the owner, any Private Motor Car subject to the terms and conditions of the policy'

http://www.quinn-insurance.ie/documents/motor_policy_roi.pdf <<the source for the first bit (see p 7/8)

the second bit is on my cert of insurance.

air wrote: »
    With regard to driving uninsured cars under your own policy's "driving other cars" provisions, I would be a little nervous about getting stung for not displaying insurance on the car. Anyone got any idea what the legal situation would be with regard to this?

You are legally insured, so just produce your certificate of insurance in a garda station within ten days.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ISTR there is no legal requirement for a disc to be issued if the policy is for less than ten days or something - e.g. temp transfers or cover like driving someone elses car. I'm sure if you search you'll find when this came up here recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

That sounds cool lads, thanks for your opinions. Perhaps it's the requirement to display a valid tax disc that is clouding my judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

lynchie wrote: »
    AFAIK, open drive allows anybody with a license to drive your vehicle even if they DONT have their own insurance policy with your consent of course.
    they have to be over 26 and have a full licence for open drive to cover them

Advertisement