Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Illustrated Novel

Options
  • 17-10-2012 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I'm currently writing a full length fantasy/sci-fi novel and want to have it illustrated. I have commissioned an artist from deviantart and he has produced some pretty awesome work so far which I have published on my blog if you are interested.

My plan is to have at least one full colour illustration per chapter which equates to around 50 images. I haven't really seen any examples of this being done before apart from the likes of the Lord of the Rings which had some pencil work if memory serves and a cool illustrated version of Alice in Wonderland. Does anyone have any good examples of illustrated novels that I should check out? I'm particularly keen to get ideas for layout as it's giving me a headache at the moment. Like should the image go at the beginning of the chapter or the end or somewhere in between?

What do you folks think about this idea? I want to do something that makes the novel really stand out and I think this is a great way to go about it. It also gives me great satisfaction seeing someone else's visual interpretations of my words.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

Drawings are great, sprinkled liberally throughout, as you decide. There is no formula that is successful, until you invent one. However, I would try not to blow anyone's bubble on images that you are trying to form in people's minds. Me, for example: no-one knows what I look like, except for this abstract image of me on the header of another site here.

Did you ever read read this dude when you were a kid?

I read a book by Rupert The Bear,
    Was quite perturbed by all the hair,
    I, so young, got quite the scare,
    But read the long form story below and was instantly bored shiftless.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Gryphonboy wrote: »
    I'm currently writing a full length fantasy/sci-fi novel and want to have it illustrated. I have commissioned an artist from deviantart and he has produced some pretty awesome work so far which I have published on my blog if you are interested.

My plan is to have at least one full colour illustration per chapter which equates to around 50 images. I haven't really seen any examples of this being done before apart from the likes of the Lord of the Rings which had some pencil work if memory serves and a cool illustrated version of Alice in Wonderland. Does anyone have any good examples of illustrated novels that I should check out? I'm particularly keen to get ideas for layout as it's giving me a headache at the moment. Like should the image go at the beginning of the chapter or the end or somewhere in between?

What do you folks think about this idea? I want to do something that makes the novel really stand out and I think this is a great way to go about it. It also gives me great satisfaction seeing someone else's visual interpretations of my words.

I think it's a great idea. Personally, I think the idea that pictures are for kids' books is a stupid one.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Gryphonboy

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I think it's a great idea. Personally, I think the idea that pictures are for kids' books is a stupid one.
    Totally agree! The illustrations are an art form in and of themselves too.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭tripper63

sounds great idea Gryphonboy i will check them out now i wonder as agent weebley says to sprinkle them around at the start middle and end where as the first chapter may give the reader an initial image to have in their head

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭tripper63

Gryphonboy they are amazing graphics excellent quality and immediately give me a sense of what to expect well done to you after seeing them i definitley would inter weave them in amongst the text

• Advertisement

Is it okay to post images to this forum?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

IMG tags are disabled but feel free to post relevant links

Alrighty then.

I'm going to link to the deviantart gallery that belongs to the nice gentleman from the Philippines who won the commission from me :-)

The Firewall Saga : Chapter 1 - A Grand Beginning

Thoughts?

Advertisement