Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car for my mother with a bad back?

• 23-01-2007 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

My mother is looking to get a new a car because the car that she has currently (2003 Megane 1.4) is a manual and the clutching is hurting her back( she slipped a disk a couple of years ago)

She now wants to get an automatic but it has to have extremely comfortable seats. I'd say that €20,000 is the budget along with the Megane. We're hoping to get €10,000 for the megane on a trade in as its only got 23k miles.

We arent going to the dealers until Friday but at the moment I think that the Honda Civic 1.8 i-shift for €28,000 or VW Golf 1.4 TSi 140 DSG Sportline for€31,000 (with sunroof, metallic, arm rest and electric windows) or maybe even a Toyota Prius are looking pretty good on paper.

Does anyone have any other ideas for about €30,000? Preferably new, but I'd say that she'd consider a 1 or 2 year old car.

Thanks

Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

What about the Golf Plus?

Seems to be a major sales flop, but in DSG form might fit the bill perfectly. You would probably get great value in a 12mth old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Vel Satis auto? Extremely comfortable seats and suspension also easy for someone with poor mobility to get in and out of due to its height
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=206790

Big disadvantage with these is they sell extremely poorly. Good if you're buying one, bad if you decide to sell it on after a year or two......

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

BrianD3 wrote:
    Vel Satis auto? Extremely comfortable seats and suspension also easy for someone with poor mobility to get in and out of due to its height
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=206790

Big disadvantage with these is they sell extremely poorly. Good if you're buying one, bad if you decide to sell it on after a year or two......

OOH your going to get shot down for that. Pity really, cos its a super car, sooooo comfy too.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The reality is that very few car seats are designed to be comfortable for those with bad backs. Google about for someone in this country who may be able to provide lumbar supports for car seats.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

My mother is in exactly the same position and has just bought a Focus C-MAX. She ordered a CVT auto in the 1.6 TDCi.

The other option which maybe your mother would also like is the adjustable pedals (around €200 extra I think). This allows the two pedals to be moved to a perfect height, also helps her back.

Sould be well within budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,734 ✭✭✭✭unkel

BrianD3 wrote:

Not a bad idea. If she can get one from a dealer with a long warranty and she is prepared to hold onto the car for a good few years

@OP, think outside the box too. Your emphasis is on the car only. Several companies can replace the existing drivers' seat in a car with an orthopaedic one (one make that springs to mind is Recaro) without costing the world. So any comfortable automatic car can become suitable even if the standard seats are crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Hi,

I have dealt with back trouble also. I think there are a few things your mam should consider:

1. She should obviously look at auto cars, as you pointed out.
    2. She should not even consider any 'sports' spec cars, or anything with a stiffened suspension, lowered springs or low profile tyres. Also 'run-flats' are a no-no. Anything that makes the ride more harsh than it needs to be will not help her in the long run.
    3. She should try and aim for something with a higher seating position. This means she doesn't have to drop into the car, and equally lift herself up out of it. Ideally she should be able to slide herself into and out of the seat.
    4. Similarly, a higher roof line means she wont have to bend her back/neck to avoid banging her head getting into the car.
    5. The seats should be comfortable, but firm. A big squishy soft couch seat will just kill her.

So, can anyone make a suggestion that would meet those criteria?

I hope she is successful, as back pain is not pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

A good (replacement, orthopaedic) car seat is one thing ...getting in and out is another.

My father broke his back last year (thankfully without any lasting damage!) and if it hadn't been for their particular car, he would have been house- (or ambulance-) bound for six months, but in their car he could get in and out without having to bend his back,

My parents drive a Toyota Yaris Verso (:eek: ) ...your mother probably wouldn't have to go to that extreme:D , but I would recommend also that she thinks "outside the box" and maybe considers the slightly higher cars like Opel Meriva, Ford Fusion/C-Max, etc, etc with their comfortable ingress and rather upright seating position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

The Sportline golf has a lumbar support on the sports seats. V comfy. But the sportline also has a very slightly lowered suspension ....may give a bumpier ride than the comfortline or base.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

Thanks for all the replies. I'd say that the Vel Satis would be a bit big, although it would be very comfortable! The Focus C-Max is a good one that I never even thought of, thats a fair point that was made about the high seating position being a big advantage.

I drove a sportline golf a while ago and found the seat quite comfortable and supportive but I didnt notice any major harsh ride, but yeh the harsh ride could be a factor. I thought that the sportline just had the suspension lowered by 15mm and didnt stiffened sports suspension like you would have on an M-pack BMW?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

Honda HR-V 1.6 CVT.

Has the height, soft suspension, looks good, reliable and won't cost anywhere near 30k for one. You'd get a 1-2 year old for €20k

Cons: Not the fastest thing in the world!

But I doubt this is important to your Mum.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Dundhoone wrote:
    The Sportline golf has a lumbar support on the sports seats. V comfy. But the sportline also has a very slightly lowered suspension ....may give a bumpier ride than the comfortline or base.

Most cars have driver's seat lumbar support these days.

SGKM wrote:
    I drove a sportline golf a while ago and found the seat quite comfortable and supportive but I didnt notice any major harsh ride,

Trust me, if you suffer from a bad back, any car journey over 10 or 15 minutes means you will be extreemly sensitive to every bump and hollow on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pjq

My mother finds Yaris' high seats the easiest for getting in and out .
    pjq

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

prospect wrote:
    Trust me, if you suffer from a bad back, any car journey over 10 or 15 minutes means you will be extreemly sensitive to every bump and hollow on the road.
    If the OP's mother decides to order a new Golf then she could specify sports seats independently of the sportline pack. My mother is in a similar situation, and she recently ordered a 320d without the M pack but with heated sports seats with lumbar. We both tried them in a car prior to ordering, and they give far better support than the standard items.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Other than the already mentioned MPV type cars (don't forget the VW Touran) a comfort orientated SUV or "soft roader" could also be an option due to their height and seating position.

Somebody already mentioned the Honda HRV/CRV, The Suzuki RX4/Fiat Sedici or the new Suzuki Vitara might also be comfortable options.

Just don't go for a full blown off-roader ...they'd be way too bouncy.

Anan1 wrote:
    If the OP's mother decides to order a new Golf then she could specify sports seats independently of the sportline pack. My mother is in a similar situation, and she recently ordered a 320d without the M pack but with heated sports seats with lumbar. We both tried them in a car prior to ordering, and they give far better support than the standard items.

Good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pjq

Has anybody tried the swivel seats http://www.motabilityireland.com/html/products.htm , I expect that the greatesr strain on the back is getting out of the car after and hour of inactivity when driving ??
    I can imagine that most people would not like to be seen with a "handicap" seat.
    pjq

Advertisement