Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cat wont use his shed

• 05-08-2009 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a shed out my back garden which I leave a bit open and my cat used to eat and sleep at night in there.In fact when I first gave him the shed access he almost never came out Now, he wont go near there. He sleeps under wet trees instead of the bed he used to in there and wont eat in there unless I am in there.

So I am wondering what could be the problem. I dont think another Tom has sprayed in there cos I would smell it, I am confused!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Could be another cat, or a dog or a fox got there and ruined it for him even if human can't smell it. Or he may have had an unpleasant experience - a painful insect bite when he was there etc. Can you try and spend some more time with him inside to see what his behaviour is like? Also so that your "safe" smell will cover other possible "threatening" smells?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

He is very skittish in there. I made a not so loud nose in there one day when feeding him and he scooted out the door. I keep the food in containers but there are still a lot of flies around alright, maybe one bit him.

If I was to scour, as in bleech teh place would it remove any fox, or other animal smell, or would it be too strong still.

Thanks for your reply by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

If I was to scour, as in bleech teh place would it remove any fox, or other animal smell, or would it be too strong still.

I think he wouldn't like it, cats are very sensitive to chemical smells too. Perhaps you can just clean it well as to get rid of any insects or possible dust/ dirt brought in by other animals to encourage him, or leave there something that has your smell on it, some cheap blanket or pillow you can buy and sleep with for a day or two then dump in the shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

herya wrote: »
    I think he wouldn't like it, cats are very sensitive to chemical smells too. Perhaps you can just clean it well as to get rid of any insects or possible dust/ dirt brought in by other animals to encourage him, or leave there something that has your smell on it, some cheap blanket or pillow you can buy and sleep with for a day or two then dump in the shed?

Yeah I will try that. He sleep on a few differnt blankets around the house I might sit on that a few days and see will it help.

Advertisement