Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cat breeds.

Options
  • 03-08-2009 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

I know the majority of cats these days are mixed breeds, but does any one know a way to find out the breed of cat.
    We got a new kitten, that is very, and I mean very similar to the Russian Blue cats, he has the distinct green eyes, the mauve pads and that beautiful smokey/grey colour. The only thing is he has some faint dark stripes in his coat, so we reckon he is either a mix or a different breed.
    The vet just said he must have some pedigree in him, but didn't know much about breeds, any one know how I can find out?
    I'll try upload a picture of him later :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

short of dna testing i don't think you can unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭nearly

i'd love to see pics, sounds gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

Always wondered about this myself. With dogs there are so many breeds that are easily identifiable by everyone and there is so much variation in size, shape and colour. But to me most cats look pretty similar, except when it comes to colour or markings. Think about the difference between a tea-cup yorkie and a St. Bernard... There is nothing like this when it comes to cats.

Are my two cats that I've had for years a specific mix of breeds or are they just plain old cats???

HMMM very interesting stuff folks! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sweetnjuicy

I think most cats these days are moggies, unless you get them from a specific breeder.
    I have two little 14 week old female kittens myself, Socks is a tabby and Charlotte (charlie) is a Tortoiseshell.
    And with alll the cats out there that are not spayed and are having kittens it is really hard to tell who the "daddy" is in most cases anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Called him Smudge, and here's a picture of him at about 12 weeks. Not the best one in the world, and the bright background makes him appear much darker.
    His coat is now lighter then it looks here, and the stripes are a little more faded, but you can see how he stands out from ordinary mixed breeds, especially with the green eyes.

Smudge.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

My cat gave birth to three kittens and two of them are the exact charcoal grey type like yours. The mammy was jet black which is an idication that they may be Russian Blues, though yours and mine are most likely Blue British Shorthairs.

We kept the boy, hes 10 weeks and still has blue eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

We researched the britidh short haired too, and it says:
    "The head of a British Shorthair is very massive, broad, and round. Chubby cheeks give the British Shorthair a chipmunk appearance, and large, brilliant copper eyes are prominent facial features. Medium to small sized ears with rounded tips are set wide apart on the domed tophead. A snub nose on a short wide muzzle, with firm, slightly rounded chin emphasizes the roundness to the head and powerful jaw."

whereas our kitten is quite long, with thin long limbs and a very narrow face. Also his eyes are green rather than copper and has mauve pads instead of the grey usual one.
    Hmm I wonder if he could possibly be a mix of Russian Blue and British Blue :P
    either way they are both beautiful cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

He could just be a regular black cat with the dilution gene, which makes him blue. I have a female cream cat- she genetically would be an orange dilute. She gets it from her mother, who was a tortoiseshell dilute- blue, cream and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

They are tabby markings that the kitten has, to me it looks like the kitten could possibly be a cross or mix of a silver tabbit and a british blue or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

They are tabby markings that the kitten has, to me it looks like the kitten could possibly be a cross or mix of a silver tabbit and a british blue or something like that.

But a black cat is just a very, very dark tabby- the same way a Jaguar is just a very, very dark leopard. If you look closely at a black cat in sunlight you can see the markings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement