Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boned and Rolled Turkey! Opinions?

• 04-12-2014 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

I was wondering what people's opinions of boned and rolled Turkey for Christmas dinner are? Never cooked one before but I'm cooking dinner in our new house and the oven is quite small so the wife reckons we should get a boned and rolled turkey. Is there any particular advantage or disadvantage? We're not bothered about drumsticks or crispy skin. The main advantage I can see is that they're easier to handle and carve. Was thinking I would need copious amounts of butter for it to stay moist but that's no bad thing:)
    Any other potential pitfalls?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

My Dad used to bone, stuff and roll the turkey for years. It was always delicious and moist, and we loved it. Fond memories of Christmas dinners past! I think it had a tendency to break up a bit during carving but unless you're having picky guests, you should be fine, it certainly didn't bother us!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

My mother has gotten this for the past few years, it has always turned out lovely and moist.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

You could buy a crown of turkey.

Poach it in gently simmering water (with a carrot, onion, salt, pepper, bay leaf etc.) for about 20 minutes a lb. This can be done the night before and it can be left in the water overnight.
    Take it out, pat the skin dry and bung it in a hot over for 20 minutes before serving - this will crisp up the skin, make it look more attractive and heat up the crown.

A rolled turkey oculd be cooked similarly - gently poached first (wrap in cling film maybe) and then finished under grill, oven or very hot pan.

F.

Advertisement