Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Opinions on Mercedes v-class camper

• 25-05-2014 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello, Im looking into a mercedes camper v-class, but iv been reading lots of bad stuff about this van.
    Could anyone confirm if its this bad or not?

more details:
    2002, 2.2l, automatic gearbox

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

MarcoPaulo wrote: »
    Hello, Im looking into a mercedes camper v-class, but iv been reading lots of bad stuff about this van.
    Could anyone confirm if its this bad or not?

more details:
    2002, 2.2l, automatic gearbox

Thanks.

I've had a few of them in vans and found them pretty ok. Seem to be more solid than the newer model. I've encountered something called the black death on many diesel mercs of that era. The injector seals allow fumes past and it becomes solid around the top. A clear signal is a smokey smell in the cab and you may hear a pip,pip,pip from the area. It's a terrible job getting the injectors out so if you have this problem, avoid.

Another thing to be aware of is that if it is less than 1.8m inside you may have difficulty getting camper insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MarcoPaulo

Moomat wrote: »
    I've had a few of them in vans and found them pretty ok. Seem to be more solid than the newer model. I've encountered something called the black death on many diesel mercs of that era. The injector seals allow fumes past and it becomes solid around the top. A clear signal is a smokey smell in the cab and you may hear a pip,pip,pip from the area. It's a terrible job getting the injectors out so if you have this problem, avoid.

Another thing to be aware of is that if it is less than 1.8m inside you may have difficulty getting camper insurance.

But if it had insurance before and is certified camper that shouldn't be a issue right? for example the T5 without the popup roof.

i'v also got some really nasty comments on the rust this model is know for. :S

But if it had insurance before and is certified camper that shouldn't be a issue right? for example the T5 without the popup roof.
    The 2 main camper insurance schemes aren't taking on new business on campers less than 1.8m. Even if the old owners have it insured, the insurance company may not insure it for you.

The white models in paticular rust cosmetically. Give it a good once over, body and chassis and if it's ok now you should be fine if you keep on top of it.

Moomat wrote: »
    The 2 main camper insurance schemes aren't taking on new business on campers less than 1.8m. Even if the old owners have it insured, the insurance company may not insure it for you.

The white models in paticular rust cosmetically. Give it a good once over, body and chassis and if it's ok now you should be fine if you keep on top of it.

That is rather problematic, what if they have a popup roof?
    Cant we insure it as a normal vehicle? my objective isn't to have a cheap insurance, instead to have a low profile camper, even if the insurance is much more expensive than normal.

Somewhere i'v read about these insurance company: Assurantiekantoor Alessie they might be a alternative.

• Advertisement

That is rather problematic, what if they have a popup roof?
    Cant we insure it as a normal vehicle? my objective isn't to have a cheap insurance, instead to have a low profile camper, even if the insurance is much more expensive than normal.

Somewhere i'v read about these insurance company: Assurantiekantoor Alessie they might be a alternative.

A pop up roof will be acceptable once it has the 1.8m when popped!

I believe some overlanders use that company for expedition vehicles, not sure how it would work if vehicle is based in Ireland. I don't think you can insure a vehicle which is classed as a motorcaravan "normally" ie privately. Your option there would be to have a Vito still classed and taxed as private MPV and fitted out like a camper.

You could also consider joining a camper club. It seems they may be able to get insurance on vehicles with less than 1.8m once the conversion is done to a high standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

Firstly i work in a MB Dealership so i am biased.
    I would admit the First generation Vito (W638; 1996–2003) is not their best work. They gave some electrical problems and also gave a lot of CV joint problems as were front wheel drive. Rust could also be a problem but should be obvious if you check it over. Engine/gearbox didnt give much trouble but keep an eye for heater plug light. The plugs tended to break off inside of the head and couldn't be got out. Mind you it doesn't really need heater plugs in ireland.

From the 2nd Generation onwards i.e. rear wheel drive versions they are very reliable.

Best of luck.

Advertisement