Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First grey hair and lack of motivation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Ha ha. Think pacing was grand it was the duration of the session that was the problem

Not much to see here
    4 miles done, could not get a signal on the garmin so no time but felt very good. Nice to be running in warm weather. Was supposed to do 6 miles but could not get out of work in time.

Was hoping to do 6 miles yesterday but I seem to have been struck by the flu.
    After a good dose of Vitamin C I felt much better today so I decided to head to club training.

What a smashing evening for running. 24 degrees in the car so only did 3 miles at a very slow pace.
    Was going to do 5 miles tomorrow but I think I will give it a miss and rest up for the race on Sunday. Would love to push for a 46.30 but will have to see on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Good luck in the race tomorrow Dave go get that 46:30 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck tomorrow Dave, Hope it goes to plan for you...have you decided the plan yet??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

I'll chime in here too, best of luck tomorrow!

To be honest only decided to do the run about a hour ago. I seem to be alot better today since I have gotten the pesky flu.

Not going to run for a p.b just going to use it as a training run and enjoy it, there will be other days for that 46.30.

Thanks for the good wishes:)

Its amazing what a difference a day makes yesterday I was thinking about giving up the running it just seems lately that every time I try to do anything, something goes wrong. Life is one complicated bitch :D:D:D

Not a good day.

Got there just in time for my nephew first race 1k. He loved it and was so proud of himself and anyone that has even looked at him gets to hear about how good he was today:):). After watching him we were told 5 mins to senior race starts so very little warm up done in fact none bar a few shakes of the arms.

Off we went was feeling very strong at the start managed to keep the first 4k average pace around 8.14 so was very happy with that and was thinking maybe a 47 might be on the cards if I pushed it in the second 5k. But then I just stopped I had to walk, legs were gone and I started to feel little bit sick.

That is when my race ended a mixture of walking and running very slowly. The weather did not help me 25 degrees and the lack of water. Ended in 1.02 what a slog. Big difference from a few weeks ago when I ran the 48.

Moving on now to the 5 mile in Dublin. I am more determined then ever to right the wrongs from today. I always knew I would find it hard today so not really disappointed.

Sorry things didn't goto plan yesterday Dave, obviously your system was not recovered enough to be racing in the heat.

You'll definitely ace in Dublin on 30th with the extra fire in your belly for it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Not a good day.

Got there just in time for my nephew first race 1k. He loved it and was so proud of himself and anyone that has even looked at him gets to hear about how good he was today:):). After watching him we were told 5 mins to senior race starts so very little warm up done in fact none bar a few shakes of the arms.

Off we went was feeling very strong at the start managed to keep the first 4k average pace around 8.14 so was very happy with that and was thinking maybe a 47 might be on the cards if I pushed it in the second 5k. But then I just stopped I had to walk, legs were gone and I started to feel little bit sick.

That is when my race ended a mixture of walking and running very slowly. The weather did not help me 25 degrees and the lack of water. Ended in 1.02 what a slog. Big difference from a few weeks ago when I ran the 48.

Moving on now to the 5 mile in Dublin. I am more determined then ever to right the wrongs from today. I always knew I would find it hard today so not really disappointed.

Don't be too hard on yourself Dave. I ran this aswell. Was aiming for sub 44, ran 47.04. Was beating myself up about it yesterday, but on reflection i think the heat was a real killer out there today. I went from first 4k running at sub 44 to running last 6K at a slower pace than i ran the connemara half marathon and Dungarvan 10mile. Also, as you weren't well in the days leading up to it, this probably made it worse for you.

• Advertisement

Looking back I should have never attempted to run yesterday. I will be making a few changes to my training for the next few weeks in the lead up to Dublin.

Thanks PDCAT It was tough running yesterday alright well done on the 47, Found it awful running the last 5k even contemplated pulling out but glad I didn't now. We all may head of to Spain for some acclimatization training next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Looking back I should have never attempted to run yesterday. I will be making a few changes to my training for the next few weeks in the lead up to Dublin.

Thanks PDCAT It was tough running yesterday alright well done on the 47, Found it awful running the last 5k even contemplated pulling out but glad I didn't now. We all may head of to Spain for some acclimatization training next year

Don't think Spain will help us much. I'm only back from a week in Tenerife which included running three days and Mountain climbing in 30 degrees at high altitude. Didn't make a dam bit of difference to me yesterday. I had to stop and walk same as yourself.

That was my last hope plus I was using it as a selling point to my other half:D:D

sometimes things just dont click. Its hard running in the heat let alone racing in it. I hate it

Nules10 wrote: »
    sometimes things just dont click. Its hard running in the heat let alone racing in it. I hate it

I'm the very same Nules no good for doing anything in the heat. But was at the doctor and turns out I have a sinus infection.

Going for 5 miles tomorrow, Club training Thursday, 7 mile Friday and then up to the big smoke on Saturday Forbidden Fruit Festival.

Dave, horrible thing a sinus infection, mind yourself and get rid of it ...if Doc gave you antibiotics be careful, you shouldn't really be running until they are finished (3days after finished)..immune system on a low and all that!!!

I know what you are saying alright Anne and I usually would wait. But I am feeling in good shape bar the sinus and I really need to get out and run and put last week behind me.

I wont be pushing it and if I only can get 2 miles done so be it.

i'm with ya Dave, i was running with sinus infec for close to 2 weeks before i copped what it was:o, and funnily enough some of the days the horrible headache lifted a bit after a run!!!:eek:

Any races coming up Anne. I may get the marathon training together.

3.5 miles done at 9.30 pace.

Felt tough enough but glad I did it.

• Advertisement

Any races coming up Anne. I may get the marathon training together.

Ye MArathon training - june 25 is the start of 18 weeks...
    June is looking a bit busy for me...:eek:

June 9th 5km in Bohermeen - i've only done 1 x 5k race (jingle Bells Dec 2011) so hoping to take a bit of that time of 25.35 hoping to go sub 24
    June 15th Trim run ( not sure of the distance but think it 5k)
    June 23rd Dunshaughlin 10k - hoping for sun 50 here
    June 30 - Dublin race series 5m - never done 5m race so its my debut - hoping for 40 -42ish!!! would live sub 40 but we'll see!!!
    July 4th - 5 k in South O Hanlon, local race....

If i decide to drop 1 it will be the Trim one.....
    How about yourself - anything before the 5m on June 30th??

Club training tonight.
    4.5 miles @ 9.10 pace

Felt back to myself tonight. Good even spilts. Feels good to have a decent run just what the doctor ordered.

Anne that's a good few races alright. Would love to have another race before June 30th but cant see any local ones. Big meet up on June 30th so

Club training tonight.
    4.5 miles @ 9.10 pace

Felt back to myself tonight. Good even spilts. Feels good to have a decent run just what the doctor ordered.

Anne that's a good few races alright. Would love to have another race before June 30th but cant see any local ones. Big meet up on June 30th so

Ye Dave, i believe Ryans on Parkgate st is the spot, but i have never been in after any of the races before...I'll PM you my phone number nearer the time and we'll sort something out!!!

Thanks Anne

Great to have one of those sessions that make you feel good. Nice reminder of why we do this :)

Nules10 wrote: »
    Great to have one of those sessions that make you feel good. Nice reminder of why we do this :)

So very true Nules its nice to walk away with a smile on your face

Had a nice few days holidays which was badly needed. Also managed to get in some training in the gym, pool, and cycling an loads of walking and plenty of food and drink and a rare bit of sun burn you have to love the weather in Ireland.

After a few weeks of stop start training, I finally started back today. Plan for the next two weeks is 4 easy slow session per week its amazing how much fitness you loose in 3 weeks.

Did 3 miles today at 9.05 pace. Cant say it was easy but should be back to myself in two weeks and then I will look for some races.

Dave, as well as run ireland, check out this site http://www.precisiontiming.net/

welcome back, this night 2 weeks run 1 of 18 weeks DCM plan will be done and dusted:eek:

• Advertisement

Anne I am not feeling the marathon yet, I just feel that I don't have the miles in my legs like last year and the thoughts of running 20 miles on my own is not very appealing. Last year training partner has retired from all running.

Second day in a row training and it feels good. Knees a bit sore. 3.5 miles with no garmin. Going for 4.5 miles tomorrow early and hope to do 80 minutes on Saturday.

I may have to move to Meath ye seem to have all the races over there:)

Advertisement