Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tyres at the Test

• 06-05-2014 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Like many my mileage is low for the years so the tyres have plenty of spare tread, although they are 7 years old they are in very good condition and a Tyre retailer told me they're good for at least 3 more years, but I'm hearing that the Test is finding a fault due to age alone, has anybody experienced this ?

Comments

It's only advisory. They don't fail you on old tyres but they are obliged to notify you if they're aged. As long as the threads and walls are good then it's academic.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pastense

It's only advisory. They don't fail you on old tyres but they are obliged to notify you if they're aged. As long as the threads and walls are good then it's academic.

That's great news, thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

pastense wrote: »
    Like many my mileage is low for the years so the tyres have plenty of spare tread, although they are 7 years old they are in very good condition and a Tyre retailer told me they're good for at least 3 more years, but I'm hearing that the Test is finding a fault due to age alone, has anybody experienced this ?

Researching this query, specifically in relation to tyre age, made for some very interesting reading.

If your motor caravan is tested under the Light Goods Vehicle Manual, that is its GVW is not over 3,500kg this is the situation.
    Test 32, Tyre Condition includes the following reasons for failure:
    Rubber badly cracked or perished.
    Test 33 Tyre Specification includes the following reason for failure:
    An E-mark or e-mark is not visible on the tyre.

While the tyre might be weathering well it could still fail if it is so old as to not have an e-mark.

HOWEVER

If your motor caravan is tested under the Heavy Goods Vehicle Manual, that is its GVW is over 3,500kg this is the situation.
    Test 24 Tyre Condition does not include any reference a test to check for cracking or perishing and such condition do not feature is the list of reasons for failure :eek:.
    Test 25 Tyre Specification includes the following reason for failure:
    An E-mark or e-mark is not visible on the tyre.

So, if your motor caravan has a GVW over 3,500kg cracked or perished side-walls is not listed as a defect :rolleyes:

It would appear, again, that the inappropriate use of the Heavy Goods Vehicle manual would appear to be deficient for motor caravans over 3,500 kg GVW as it fails to consider the such vehicle run on tyres of the type commonly found on Light Goods Vehicle not those designed for HGV use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

All 6 of ours failed on sidewall condition,they still had lot of tread depth but perished side wall,an expensive doe,
    There seems to be a lot of variation in interpretation with some testers letting tyres pass while others failing the same tyres ?

Im feeling a bit let down by this hole DOE thing,i agree that they should be tested,but this lobbing us in with the commercial lorries is not working,Motorhomes are not commercial vehicles and regardless of weight they should all be tested the same imo the whole thing is a total mess with huge variations in the way centers are interpreting the test for motorhomes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

In fairness the testers are probably doing you a favour, most Motorhome tyres never get worn out they just age and perish.
    Given the weights and speeds involved replacing tyres is in your best interest.
    Blowouts are bad but in a camper the results could be catastrophic.
    Its not really that big a deal considering how long they last and where they take you.

• Advertisement

Shading tyres when the vehicle is standing protects them from UV, good for longevity. I used to use silicon spray to protect them while moving. It lasts a good long while in the dry. I had to stop after I realised I spent more on spray than the tyres were worth. :o

CJhaughey wrote: »
    In fairness the testers are probably doing you a favour, .................................................

Testers are not entitled to do favours. There are manuals which set out precisely what items are to be tested and what constitutes a fail. It is not the testers prerogative to fail a vehicle for a defect which is not listed for checking neither is it their prerogative to ignore a defect which is listed for checking.

The core issue with motor caravans over 3,500kg GVW is the application of HGV tests which are inappropriate for vehicles based on the mechanicals and running gear of a Light Goods Vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pastense

Having had the tyres checked by a tyre retailer who found no fault and advised that another 3 years would be no problem, (this fits with the official Michelin position of 10 years life), where would I stand if the tyres were failed at the test.
    Is there any process to appeal that or is it that you just change them or else no cert.

pastense wrote: »
    Having had the tyres checked by a tyre retailer who found no fault and advised that another 3 years would be no problem, (this fits with the official Michelin position of 10 years life), where would I stand if the tyres were failed at the test.
    Is there any process to appeal that or is it that you just change them or else no cert.

See post #4.
    If they tyres are E marked and have no cracks or signs of being perished there are no grounds for failing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

On the subject of old tyres though the previous owner of our van had old 10 ply 195/70 tyres on the front which while in fine condition, plenty of tread, passed DOE but I felt the compound had gone extremely hard. I put on 215/70 8 ply -which is only 4% larger diameter the difference in road noise and handling was unbelievable. Even the 4 year old in the back remarked on it within half a mile. Don't expect the new compounds to last 50k miles though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

moodrater wrote: »
    On the subject of old tyres though the previous owner of our van had old 10 ply 195/70 tyres on the front which while in fine condition, plenty of tread, passed DOE but I felt the compound had gone extremely hard. I put on 215/70 8 ply -which is only 4% larger diameter the difference in road noise and handling was unbelievable. Even the 4 year old in the back remarked on it within half a mile. Don't expect the new compounds to last 50k miles though.
    How many years does it take to put 50k on a campervan?

I've done >40k in 4abouts years. Same tyres I bought then and there's another 50k of thread left. :pac:

I just let the air out of mine when they go too hard. whistling.gif

In fairness tyres are the most important part of every vehicle folks.

About 3 in our case.

Race ya to 600 000 Mrater! smiley_drive.gif

Race ya to 600 000 Mrater! smiley_drive.gif

Does mental calculation and has midlife crisis.

:D No red sports cars allowed has to be campers!
    It's only 24 laps of planet Earth ya big Mary :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

I now have 150 k on the van and I have it nearly 10 years. I bought it with 50k on it so averaging 10k a year.

I put 4 new tyres on it when I bought it after getting a blowout on original ones with perished sidewalls.

They will pass the test this time but I will replace them this year anyway.

For me less the five.
    Mine cross the 60k mark when it was just over five years old
    It has over 89k now and will shortly be needing its third set of boots :pac:

:D No red sports cars allowed has to be campers!
    It's only 24 laps of planet Earth ya big Mary :P

My sister in law is getting a mid life crisis porshe when she told me I blurted out 'Are you going to go bald too and start wearing oakleys' :pac:

Just imagining what my midlife crisis would be like:
    • Get a house that doesn't move with bills and building reg's and boring things.
    • Find a 9 to 5 job.
    • Sell the project car.
    hysteria.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Project car...???? Do tell...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

pm on the way to not clutter the thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

niloc1951 wrote: »

The core issue with motor caravans over 3,500kg GVW is the application of HGV tests which are inappropriate for vehicles based on the mechanicals and running gear of a Light Goods Vehicle.

Inappropriate how? Nearly every 4.6 + 5 ton van and truck is based on a 3.5 ton van and they go through the same test. Its nothing to do with running gear

Advertisement