Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FLoyd rose woes.

• 27-07-2006 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Ok, this is not such a woe more so of a generalised question. Now i personally know the answer but the guitarists in my band wont take my word as im a bass player (i mean what would i know just because ive owned a floyd in the past right.

Anyway they seem to think that tuning a step down will damage there guitars/Floyd roses. Please people tell them how it wont, i want to print this off so that i can prove to them that it wont.

Yes i know it seems real petty but hey im a petty guy :D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

It won't. End of story. The Floyd is engineered to withstand forces, tuning lower will put even less tension on the device, so in theory it will do less damage if they stick to the same string gauge.

What they will have to do is re-calibrate the springs attached to the Floyd to take into account the decreased string tension. There are ample trem setup guides in the Instrument Resources sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

I've got my Jackson tuned down 2 whole steps at the moment. Just tightened the screws in the back to increase the tension, its all balanced. The actual string tension is the same as a non-floyd guitar in standard.
    Tis rad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

yea i know, the faceplate has to be in line with the guitar body and all that jazz. But then again you being a bassist they wnt take your word for it either, even though you play guitar too like me i just know it.

What I dont get is when In Flames or other bands play live tuned to B and A and are able to use guitars without a trem. Wouldn't the strings be far too slack to sound good? The must be a way of setting up a Les Paul etc to play in really low tuning, maybe do something to the truss rod?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Heavier string guage?

• Advertisement

Yes but surely string gauge wouldnt make enough of a difference when tuned THAT low?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Yes, yes it would. A set of 13s in B makes a world of difference compared to a set of 9s.

Woah 13's. Must be like playing six wire coathangers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Den_M wrote:
    Woah 13's. Must be like playing six wire coathangers :)
    No, that's what basses are for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭ferdi

my mate has 12s on a strat at the moment, standard tuning and man those bastards are a bitch to shift, my bass is easy to play compared to that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Stevie Ray Vaughan used to do that but with 13's in standard I believe. His tech begged him to go to a lighter guage so his guitar wouldn't implode.

Also, this thread should have been called "Floyd Woes"...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

SRV used to tune down to Eb, which is nothing for 13s.
    "Floyd Woes"

Floyd Wose. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Didn't Dick Dale use like 16s or something on a regular tuned strat to play all the "surf music"? Or am I dreaming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Yeah my guitar teacher has 13s on all his guitars, a bitch to play when you're used to 11s but the sound from them is fantastic.

Also, 68 Lost Souls, he did play 16s indeed, and the mad bastard played them strung upside down too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

yea 13s are grand in standard as long as the guitar is set up for them so that your neck wont warp over time, sound is unreal out of em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i had 13s on my sh**y Peavey before and they worked grand. good sound too. the only difference i noticed was in the callouses on me fingers. A floyd Rose shoud have no bother tuning down.

Advertisement