Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Burglar alarms and landlines

• 31-05-2005 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Another Eircom bill arrived this morning at home:
    €50 for line rental. €15 for calls (calls I could have made on my mobile).

Why, I ask myself, am I still paying €50 every two months for a line whose only real use is for burglar alarm monitoring? That is €300 a year on top of the monitoring fee I pay the alarm company.

2 years ago when I had the alarm put in I was quoted about €600 extra for installing a GSM unit to provide the relay to the monitoring service. It sounded much too much so I said no. Silly me - if I had said yes and cancelled my landline I'd have got my money back by now and be saving €300 over the next year.

Why does a GSM alarm monitoring solution cost so much? Is it getting any cheaper?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

gsm units are about €100 in bulk, its a stripped down phone on a card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

I guessed it would be something like that. So an alarm company trying to charge me €600 for this add on is taking the piss?

How does the call billing work? In an ideal world the alarm should not need to make many calls (just the occasional test and the odd false alarm hopefully). Is the price of a few calls built into the capital cost or what?

I wonder how easy is it to retrofit this sort of device to an existing alarm?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I'm not sure you'll get the wide audience you'd need for a question like that here, but there are standalone GSM dialers available, which act the same as a fixed line dialer for alarms. Maplin had one 2 Christmases ago, but it wasn't in the catelogue, so they couldn't give me a price, and wouldn't sell it!!! I've seen them on some UK sites for around Stg£200+VAT, but presumably they're cheaper than that.

Generally, you get a pre-paid SIM to put in it, so one with no credit time-out is advisable. Most monitoring companies won't let you connect to them without a registered installer doing the installation. Some operate on Caller ID which would be fine for your GSM dialler. Some operate on a PIN basis (dialler dials, pauses, sends PIN, sends status), which may or may not be ok for your GSM dialler (your dialler would need to support pauses).

If you search on boards here, there's a post in the Shooting forum about dialers from early this year.. mentioning one such UK site, and a place in Drumcondra.

I'd imagine that Stg£200+VAT is steep for these things, but haven't searched any further just yet.

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The phonewatch system dials out, using a Bell 202 modem. Sends a unique ID number followed by a status message, get's a confirmation receipt and hangs up. Caller ID may be verified on the new panels, although it's unlikely to be necessary.

The unit phonewatch supply is basically a GSM phone in a box with a hardwire port that provides a normal 2-wire PSTN interface just like an eircom landline.

As far as the alarm is concerned it still thinks it's on a landline.

They've a bulk contract with vodafone to provide the SIM and account and you'll never see a vodafone bill or hear anything from vodafone. It just works.

Also remember your alarm dials out now and again and may remain on the line for up to 2 mins. If there's a power failure, if there's a battery failure in any of the sensors, if it wants to test the line, etc etc.. Just like your sky digibox, it phones home once in a while to let the monitoring centre know that it's OK. So, in the long run a Prepay SIM could be a disaster if it ever did run out of credit.

That 600 euro is a bit steep, but it does include : the actual GSM unit, which is approved and tested for use on their systems and is pretty tough and secure and the installation, which isn't as simple as it looks.

The unit they use is designed to operate on its own or as a backup, should the line be cut. So, it's also capable of detecting the phoneline and cutting in should there be no voltage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 bofs

I am currently buying a house and am considering this alarm system as a diy option. Basic unit is £225 including vat its called spybox.
    Has anyone used it?

Taken from www.vangadets.co.uk website

A portable standalone package which detects intruder entry at local level, at the same time alerts the owner that there is a problem using the GSM mobile network. Requires 12v power supply to operate (mains supply power-lead included) and SIM card (not included).

Suitable for homes, offices, garages, sheds and lock-ups, this all-in-one alarm system fitted with a high quality PIR detector to sense body heat over a 120-degree span, the PIR sensor triggers a built-in audible alarm. When heat from a body is detected the unit beeps, allowing the user to enter a pre-programmable password to de-activate the alarm.

If an unauthorized intruder is detected, the unit gives out an ear piercing alarm sound. It will also dial-up any desired telephone system and report using the caller ID display. Additional options allow the owner to talk and listen both ways. With an additional fitted option, they can even switch an action, such as lock a door or trigger a sounder, remotely from anywhere in the world.

Additional Options/Accessories...

A wide range of optional accessories are also available after initially purchasing this standard package. (You will receive a list of these when your order is delivered). Additional accessories include 'Triggering Sounders', opening electronic locks from anywhere in the world (as long as there is a signal). An 'Amplifier/Speaker' that allows the owner to listen and to talk both ways with the vehicle! Additional sensors, PIR Detectors (with or without built-in 110dB Siren). Mercury 'Tilt Switches', magnetic 2-part door contacts and a wide range of gadgets to customise the unit to your specific requirements.

Utilises proven GSM mobile dual band (900/1800) mobile phone technology.

Unlocked for use with any mobile telephone network provider.

Can be added to existing alarm system.

Portable and protected by an ABS injection-moulded enclosure.

Spy Box: Internal battery lasts up to 72 hours.

Powered and charged by any external 12v power supply.

Requires PAYG/Prepaid/Contract SIM card.

Delayed entry.

Panic button.

Built-in 120-degree high-quality PIR detector.

Built-in numeric keypad with back light.

PIR: Internal 9v battery back-up.

Built to ISO9000 standard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭The Security ma

'DATA-ONLY' Sim cards are available from vodafone - the billing is €6 per month plus calls plus vat. (Very little, if your alarm behaves itself)

I use these in the GSM diallers and say NOTHING to the monitoring company (most of them charge you EXTRA for GSM monitoring, even though they have no way of detecting whether it came via a fixed line or GSM - Phonewatch are gangsters for this)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I'd get an o2 pay as you go SIM card. They're sold for €20 with about the same in call credit, and the credit never expires. Assuming you don't trip the alarm too often, it should last for years. Data on those cards is 1 cent per kilobyte (used to be 3, but it was reduced a few weeks ago). A lot cheaper than paying Vodafone €6 a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭The Security ma

although the credit never expires, don't these lock out after 6months though if you don't make any calls?? (You can receive calls but can't make them, until you re-activate your credit by topping up?)

Phonewatch doesn't make GSM data calls per se. The panel dials out using a standard very low speed voiceband modem. The GSM box provides it with a simulated dial tone and standard PSTN analogue interface. As far as vodafone are concerned, it's a voice call.

The low speed modem used by those alarms would be able to get a signal out over a barbed wire fence wiring though never mind a GSM based line!

Old but rock solid technology!

it'll work over a smart telecom unbundled line just fine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

Why not self monitor ?

Use a self monitored alarm system like the ones availalble at http://www.letsautomate.com/index.cfm?&Nav=Security&

These will work with either a gsm adapter or an ATA (if you have wireless bb), I have the comfort model myself, and its worked fine for the last three years, although more to the install than the others.

Only thing to watch out for is the savings from the insurance company may not apply to self installed alarms, but I am sure it would not exceed the cost of line rental plus the cost of the monitoring company!!!.

Regards,
    Wexfordman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Self monitor??? "That sounds like my alarm but I havn't been called yet. It must be someone elses" :D

Advertisement