Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve and facial hair

• 02-03-2015 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 4 Enclave

Hey there I am thinking about applying for the Garda reserve and in my research I have found that you need to be clean shaven to enter the permanent force and I am checking if that is the same for the reserve as I cant find concrete information.

Shaving is only an issue to me because I have life long issues about my personal appearance and since I have grown out facial hair I am much more confident and really don't want to go back to feeling crap about myself and at the same time I really do want to be in the Garda reserve so any info would be great, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭snams

Clean shave for reserves too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Enclave

Damn, what's the reasoning behind this? kind of gender discrimination in my view are females not allowed in if they wear makeup its a bit stupid. I've a bachelors degree, a certifucate in mental heath studies involving suicide, substance abuse and violent behaviour and I've 8 years experience in customer service so in helping people with problems basically yet I wouldn't be allowed in the reserve because of facial hair?

Thanks for the answer though needed the clarification.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 chickenbone

Sure if you can't hide behind the beard you can hide behind the uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭A.G.S

Well if you really wanted to join, you would shave it hipster :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 Alan94

Personally I would not want to deal with a guard if he had a beard same if he had a tattoo on his head or neck etc

• Advertisement

Personally I would not want to deal with a guard if he had a beard same if he had a tattoo on his head or neck etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

I cant see why you shouldnt be aloud to be honest so long as you look clean , like i understand with jobs that they deal with food clean shaven is a must. But you could put it in your application that you would want to keep to your facial hair and see what comes of it .If i met a garda with a beard i wouldnt give a crap , its his personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭snams

RUNNER 1 wrote: »
    But you could put it in your application that you would want to keep to your facial hair and see what comes of it.
    Bad advice.

snams wrote:
    Bad advice.

adleast I'm not slamming the lad with negative comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Enclave wrote: »
    Damn, what's the reasoning behind this? kind of gender discrimination in my view are females not allowed in if they wear makeup its a bit stupid. I've a bachelors degree, a certifucate in mental heath studies involving suicide, substance abuse and violent behaviour and I've 8 years experience in customer service so in helping people with problems basically yet I wouldn't be allowed in the reserve because of facial hair?

Thanks for the answer though needed the clarification.

I believe its to do with Gas masks as in a situation where you need to wear one your facial hair stops it sealing, There was a case about it in NY a while ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Alan94 wrote:

Any particular reason? Neither tattoos or a beard would bother me.

I just think some jobs require the person to have a professional look. A beard and a visible tattoo in my opinion just doesn't look professional

I just think some jobs require the person to have a professional look. A beard and a visible tattoo in my opinion just doesn't look professional

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Alan94 wrote: »

What if you needed to see a doctor but the only one available had a beard? Would you refuse his help?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭poeticmakaveli

if denzel Washington is allowed facial hair (training day) then I don't see why our force should not!!
    on a serious note though,it is ridiculous in this day and age that facial hair is forbidden in the garda! I can understand maybe a beard down to your chest is a bit much but there should be some compromise and common sense!
    I don't know when these rules were first made up but instead of it supposed to be a "professional" look I'd say it was to give the impression that it was by the book,and goody straight arrowed people (which is nonsense) and at the time maybe a bearded person was looked in society as a dodgy character (which is also nonsense)
    If not now, it will be inevitable that someday it will be allowed.
    Some rules are just silly!!

What if you needed to see a doctor but the only one available had a beard? Would you refuse his help?
    I would because it is my choice.

Alan94 wrote:

fair enough , not geat choice dude but fair enough

Besides people in professional positions should maintain a professional look

Besides people in professional positions should maintain a professional look

• Advertisement

My dad is a paramedic he has facial hair and a tattoo on his forearm in his years of service no one ever said "DONT save me you have a facial hair" I'm out of this conversation because its pointless.

My dad is a paramedic he has facial hair and a tattoo on his forearm in his years of service no one ever said "DONT save me you have a facial hair" I'm out of this conversation because its pointless.

I agree it is pointless, we can all agree people should not have facial hair within a professional role or a visible tattoo

I agree it is pointless, we can all agree people should not have facial hair within a professional role or a visible tattoo

I strongly disagree with you.

And why is that do you think just because Connor mc Gregor has a beard everyone should now be aloud have one.

And why is that do you think just because Connor mc Gregor has a beard everyone should now be aloud have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭ Messiah Uptight Nozzle

Why do have to post everything twice?

How would you feel about a ban garda with facial hair? I've seen a few of them.

Is it only full beards that would have you refuse doctors help, would a moustache be alright for you or is death still preferable?

nm wrote:
    Why do have to post everything twice?

I was just about to ask that .

Alan94 wrote:

You my Mr are an idiot.

• Advertisement

Is it jealousy because you can't grow one?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement